Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Anyone know how to fix a stripped insert on a kiteboard?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
boonedog

Since 22 Jul 2006
49 Posts
Hood River

PostSun Mar 18, 07 4:03 pm    Anyone know how to fix a stripped insert on a kiteboard? Reply with quote

I stripped my insert on a North Kiteboard this winter, and was wondering if anyone has a solution? I don't want to t-bolt it or put a screw head sticking out, but I need that hole back for my nice wide stance. Anyway to re-thread? What about a helio-coil (I don't know what this is but someone said it may work) Thanks guys!

blancoh2o

Since 15 Mar 2005
1153 Posts
Oregon
Phishy

PostSun Mar 18, 07 4:42 pm     Reply with quote

Get it re-tapped at a good snowboard shop. We used to do it all the time for snowboards when I worked as a tech.. The process should be the same for a kiteboard.
You can also try one size larger screw in the same hole without re-tapping. Make sure you don't get too big though. You probably want to use some thread locker too.

https://kb4c.rallyup.com/kb4c/286ef9/Member

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostSun Mar 18, 07 6:22 pm     Reply with quote

That snowboard option seems like it'd be your best bet (unless they cut open the board and replace it, I bet it's Heli-Coiled), but if not, you may be able to do it yourself. It's more work than standard retapping, but it'll allow you to run the OE size bolt which is something at least I'm anal about. Here you'd just drill out to the next available size, retap, then run a Heli-Coil down it.

P.S. - I've never done it on a board insert before, so I'm not positive it'd work... but they work awesome on car stuff (tranny casings, etc.)!

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2575 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostSun Mar 18, 07 6:31 pm    More Q's about inserts Reply with quote

Glad you brought this up.

When I first got my board, the foot strap screws were always coming loose from riding, so I took someone's advice and used lock tight on them...problem solved....for a while...

Time goes on and the straps get totally worn out...time to replace.

But of course, none of the screws will budge and after some effort, all the screw heads are stripped out.

I don't know if it's strictly the lock tight making it so hard or that plus a couple seasons of salt water.

Any ideas (besides "go buy a new board") are appreciated.
Smile

stringy

Since 23 Jun 2006
1726 Posts
vancouver
XTreme Poster

PostSun Mar 18, 07 7:07 pm     Reply with quote

I have repaired a board previously re-using the existing insert. I have taken the insert completely out and cleaned it thoroughly and re-tapped the threads. I then try and clean the hole with something like alcohol. I take the insert and fasten it with a bolt and then fill the cavity with 2 part epoxy. The bolt will prevent epoxy from filling the inner threads of the insert. Set the insert into the epoxy filled hole and let it set. The bolt should unscrew with a little force to break any bond with residual epoxy. this method may work okay for you. I have only repaired one board this way.

stringy

EdG

Since 19 Dec 2005
424 Posts
Just a Kook that's
Obsessed

PostSun Mar 18, 07 8:03 pm     Reply with quote

I would try the remove and clean first. Then I would try a shop. Helicoils are more automotive and requires removal, drill using specific drill included in kit and then a "coil" looking thing it put in to fill the gap in the threads. I have used them many time on motorcycles Embarassed

There are many types of locktite. Blue is removable, red requires heat to break the bond. Of course this is metal to metal and I'm not sure about your board. I use 'blue' on both boards and have not had a problem except having to clean the threads, both board and screws each time.

If your not experienced fixin' stuff... talk to a shop. I have done that many 'o times. That way you can pick up the latest mag while you're there Laughing Laughing

Reaper356

Since 10 Dec 2006
781 Posts
Salem / LC Oregon
Opinionated

PostThu Mar 22, 07 8:14 pm     Reply with quote

Take it to a machine shop and tell em to put a helicoil in - they know what they're doing & it's way cheap <$20.

Hein

Since 08 Mar 2005
1313 Posts

Possessed

PostThu Mar 22, 07 8:31 pm     Reply with quote

engineer hat off...

I think North inserts are 6mm.
try a 1/4-28 screw.
It's a little bigger than 6mm and pretty close to the same pitch.
might hold pretty well.

engineer hat back on...

To do it right I'd use these:

http://www.mcmaster.com/nav/enter.asp?pagenum=3181

If the existing insert is indeed 6mm,
I'd go with part number 97120A110
It's 8-18 stainless, too bad they don't have it in 316

Make sure you get the right drill to
enlarge the hole and be careful not
to drill through your board. Use a
drill collar. You might even oversize
the hole a little to make the insert
go in easier and to prevent spinning
the existing metal insert. Or better
yet, tap it as deep as possible and then
let the insert cut the last threads as
you install it.

Heilicoil is tough to install in shallow
blind holes because you need to re-tap
the hole all the way to the bottom or
the new threads will be tapered and
the screw will stick. Even a bottom
tap won't really do it.

Last edited by Hein on Thu Mar 22, 07 8:45 pm; edited 4 times in total

stringy

Since 23 Jun 2006
1726 Posts
vancouver
XTreme Poster

PostThu Mar 22, 07 8:37 pm     Reply with quote

hein,
mcmaster rules.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: