Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Thanks for help at Roosevelt

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
markamcclure

Since 20 May 2011
164 Posts
Portland, OR
Stoked

PostSat May 23, 20 6:38 am    Thanks for help at Roosevelt Reply with quote

My chicken loop ‘self released’ yesterday, putting me into an unwanted self-rescue scenario. Thanks to everyone who helped me out! It happened about 3/4 of the way across from Roosevelt. Someone named Roger (North) located my board while I focused on wrapping my lines, and dropped it off on the Oregon side. A couple of other kites offered some good tips on better using the wingtip to help get back. Appreciated!

McLovin

Since 11 Sep 2017
278 Posts
Corbett
Obsessed

PostSat May 23, 20 10:59 pm    Unwanted release Reply with quote

Glad you got in safe - just curious what rig where you using, did it have a below the bar adjustment?

Wishing you smooth winds.

Mc

markamcclure

Since 20 May 2011
164 Posts
Portland, OR
Stoked

PostSun May 24, 20 4:45 am     Reply with quote

Its a compstick (2016?) with ‘below the bar trim’ that I bought used. Upon further inspection, it looked like the chicken loop was possibly too big for the donkey dik. There is only about 1” overlap. Also the donkey dik is attached with a Velcro that did not keep it snug to the chicken loop. So I think what happened was the chicken loop fell off my harness bar hook due to some slack and got pulled from my hands. I ordered a smaller chicken loop and a donkey dik without the Velcro as a replacement.

McLovin

Since 11 Sep 2017
278 Posts
Corbett
Obsessed

PostSun May 24, 20 9:53 am    Marketing BLISS Reply with quote

markamcclure wrote:
(2016?) with ‘below the bar trim’ that I bought used. Upon further inspection, it looked like the chicken loop was possibly too big for the donkey dik. There is only about 1” overlap.

Now that you are SAFE - we can start to enjoy the PURE MARKETING BLISS that comes
(pun intended) from the endless donkey dik jokes...

The ADS almost write themselves...

1. How BIG is your DD
2. Just to be Safe, make sure you are fully inserted
3. Real men don't accidentally release

That is not even counting the Chicken Loop reinvigoration humor...

1. Feeling unwanted
2. Jealous of the new Chicken Loops
3. Has it been a while since he went below the bar?

Endless FUN - but the real issue is probably helping others avoid a real SWIM, like the one from A-town to Roosevelt what if no one was around? That thought scared me into a couple shiny new BARS / LINES that I know the 100% history of and have full confidence, we all make judgements on gear and balance with $ but when your life could be on the line, it's WORTH IT in my opinion to make the investment - just my .02

Further my own preference is above the bar just cause I've heard too many stories about stuff going awry under the bar (granted I am tall with long arms) so my opinion doesn't mean much.

Glad to be off all the serious topics....Check you DD - Haha Smile

That's what she said...

Mc

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostMon May 25, 20 9:31 am     Reply with quote

I watched you self rescue the entire width of the Columbia. That was textbook perfect. Would've helped but I was still in my street clothes.

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostMon May 25, 20 9:57 pm     Reply with quote

markamcclure wrote:
Its a compstick (2016?) with ‘below the bar trim’ that I bought used. Upon further inspection, it looked like the chicken loop was possibly too big for the donkey dik. There is only about 1” overlap. Also the donkey dik is attached with a Velcro that did not keep it snug to the chicken loop. So I think what happened was the chicken loop fell off my harness bar hook due to some slack and got pulled from my hands. I ordered a smaller chicken loop and a donkey dik without the Velcro as a replacement.

I've had a couple of compsticks that tend to have this issue. As you noted you can get smaller chicken loops which tends to fix the problem (in fact, it can be hard to secure the donkey dic after down sizeing the chicken loop sometimes).

I also have found that when my bar self releases under pressure it tends to slingshot the bar past the short knot. I have had my bar end up almost to my kite.

While this does make for a bunch of slack line to deal with it doesn't necessarily mean you are done. I have found that if I take my time I can usually ride my lines all the way to my bar, and then carefully and slowly feed it back out such that I can get back to riding rather than self rescuing.

Food for thougt.

shred_da_gorge

Since 12 Nov 2008
1251 Posts
Local, not Low Cal
XTreme Poster

PostWed May 27, 20 8:48 am     Reply with quote

Glad you're OK! I almost lost my damned finger trying to reset a North chicken loop a few years back (and plan to upgrade to their new solution that doesn't require three hands).

And yes, my DD was adequately sized.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: