Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

losin my religion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
trayle

Since 06 Aug 2005
11 Posts

PostTue Mar 20, 07 8:55 pm    losin my religion Reply with quote

Here's a quote from the event site thread that I thought deserved a new topic:

"to get them to join us we just need to be nice to the dihard windsurfers, infiltrate their groups and organizations. befriend them, invite them to our gatherings, show them our literature and our teachings, turn their offspring to our way of thinking. they soon will all convert.....

oh sorry. were we talking about a radical religious group or water access rights?"

They say that new converts to a religion are often the most eager proselytizers. They are often so enthralled with their new religion that they want everyone to join up, to see the light, to be saved, brother.

This same sentiment seems to ring true of converts from windsurfing to kiting. People who have only kited and have never tried windsurfing are generally respectful of windsurfers. By contrast people who gave up windsurfing for kiting often seem to have the "born again" attitude. They have kite religion. It is so much better than that old fashioned pole-boarding religion why don't these sinners see the light? How can people be so blind to the superior virtues of kiting that they continue to wallow in the living hell of windsurfing. Come on windsurfers, I too once was blind but now I see.

The attitude is understandable, but does a lot more harm than good. It breeds anger, tension and religious wars. Windsurfing is not going to die off and be replaced by kiteboarding. Would you really want it to? There's room in this world for many sports and many religions. If everyone practiced the same sport and the same religion, the world would be a pretty boring place. We'd all be like robots or clones.

Teague

Since 10 Jul 2005
114 Posts
Really Windy Places
Stoked

PostTue Mar 20, 07 9:10 pm     Reply with quote

A lot of converted windsurfers I know still keep a stash of their old small gear for super high-wind days. I don't windsurf so I own a 5m C-kite for nuke'n conditions and actually use it a lot. IMO windsurfing really only looks fun when there is high wind and waves. The kind of sailing that you see out in front of the Event Site most days looks, well, quite boring really. I guess in the kiteboarding world we would refer to it as "Mowing the Lawn". No problems with it, just different strokes I guess. Then again those are probably the ideal learning conditions for the sport and we all know the learning curve for windsurfing is 6 times that of kiteboarding. Wink

KingE

Since 27 Apr 2006
58 Posts
Lake Wenatchee

PostThu Mar 22, 07 6:08 am     Reply with quote

The event site is a pretty sucky place to windsurf if you are good enough to be at the Hatchery or Dougs or somewhere good. The action tends to correspond to the site!

Event site is a good place to hold an event, thus the name.

Jeb

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: