Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Sketchy launch at event site today
Page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Lego

Since 30 Jun 2016
6 Posts
Minneapolis
Kook

PostFri Aug 30, 19 7:51 am     Reply with quote

teabagger wrote:
I notice this madness when I have to trim out a bunch on the below the bar trim compsticks (been using for 4 years). Whenever I look down and it's all tangled up in my chicken loop I'm like "ahh this looks sooo dangerous" haha. Slingy now makes an above the bar depower that I will eventually switch to now that it's an option. Until then I try not to trim down too much until I'm out on the water (if I'm that lit on the beach I probably need a smaller kite).

This is one of the reasons I switched to the above the bar depower (Slingshot Sentinel) model. Way better and easier to trim on the fly. The Sentinal has a neat rare earth magnet system that allows the excess trim rope to stick to the trim buckle so its can be "stowed" out of the way and not swinging in the wind when riding.

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostFri Aug 30, 19 9:04 am     Reply with quote

Lego wrote:
teabagger wrote:
I notice this madness when I have to trim out a bunch on the below the bar trim compsticks (been using for 4 years). Whenever I look down and it's all tangled up in my chicken loop I'm like "ahh this looks sooo dangerous" haha. Slingy now makes an above the bar depower that I will eventually switch to now that it's an option. Until then I try not to trim down too much until I'm out on the water (if I'm that lit on the beach I probably need a smaller kite).

This is one of the reasons I switched to the above the bar depower (Slingshot Sentinel) model. Way better and easier to trim on the fly. The Sentinal has a neat rare earth magnet system that allows the excess trim rope to stick to the trim buckle so its can be "stowed" out of the way and not swinging in the wind when riding.

resurrection of an old post... But still relevant.

Rule of thumb:
Whenever there is line slack there is the possibility for a line wrap.

Doesn't matter which bar (perhaps clicker bar aside). If you ride long enough and you have a line flapping (especially during launch times when you have multiple slack lines around each other) you WILL experience a line wrap.

The sentinel depower line can get stuck between the two center lines directly above or below the pulley. I've had it happen.

The best defense is:
1) Always visually double check all lines before giving the thumbs up on a launch.
2) Mentally prepare yourself for what you will do when your launch goes wrong and you have a wrapped line.

My approach towards step two is to attempt to steer my kite (perhaps by using the two outside lines if required) to a safe place (preferably towards water). If the kite is unsteerable via outside lines then you need to pull your safety, and be prepared to pull you 2nd one as well.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: