Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Hua Hin Thailand

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
synergy12

Since 31 May 2007
135 Posts

Stoked

PostMon Apr 06, 09 5:54 am    Hua Hin Thailand Reply with quote

Greetings,

Just got back from Thailand. Spent the last three weeks at Hua Hin. For those of you who are not familar with the location, it is 2 1/2 hours south of Bangkok in a mini van, or for those with little time there is an airport there. Hua Hin is where the King of Thailand lives, pretty much all year around. Much nicer than Bangkok.

The windy season there started around the 20th of February so I heard. I got there a couple of weeks later and stayed three weeks. During that time there were 5 days with light wind 10-12 knots. The rest of the time it averaged between 14-20 knots with most days folks riding 12's.

The wind is certainly lighter there, as it is thermal. It comes up around 1pm and lasts until sunset, though as it nears that time of day it starts dropping.

Hua Hin has a lot to offer. Unlike Thung Wua Laen which is somewhat remote, not so easy to get to and offers little to do other than kite, Hua Hin has a movie theater, much better food availability if you are not into Thai Food, and lots going on. It is a bit more expensive, but still a nice place to hang out and kite unless you hate light wind kiting.

The thermal wind has a lot to do with the fact that in coincides with the hottest time of year. The water is way beyond warm, bordering on hot. We are talking probably close to 90 degrees! Boardies are all you need, unless the jelly fish show up in big numbers. Some folks wear lycra tights (sold at all the kiting shops), though I did not hear of anyone getting into jellies while I was there. I saw them out in the water while kiting, so it pays to pick your transition spots outside in case you blow it. The red ones are the ones to watch out for, and are very seldom seen near the shore. It is why most people do moves towards the beach.

Taken From the roof of the 19 floor Condochain.
 Taken From the roof of the 19 floor Condochain.  Hua Hin 1.jpg 
 Taken From the roof of the 19 floor Condochain.  Hua Hin 2.jpg 
 Taken From the roof of the 19 floor Condochain.  Hua Hin 3.jpg 
 Taken From the roof of the 19 floor Condochain.  Hua Hin 4.jpg 
 Taken From the roof of the 19 floor Condochain.  Hua Hin 5.jpg 

barfly

Since 31 Mar 2005
1210 Posts
Seaside
BRACKISH

PostMon Apr 06, 09 11:11 am     Reply with quote

Nice! Any waves?

Kite-Line

Since 21 Aug 2008
30 Posts
Bend, Oregon

PostMon Apr 06, 09 11:17 am     Reply with quote

Hua Hin is fun, but no matter what time of year, definitely wear jelly pants. I was there at this time last year, went for a jump, crashed right on top of a brown one, that continued to sting me on my legs. Lost my board and dragged to retrieve it. Took in too much water in the process and wound up with amoebic dysentary. Purple ones are the ones you definitely need to watch out for, so ask around on the current status as those ones cause all the locals to get out of the water.

Barfly, no waves and a lot of chop. Fun, but for the best SE Asia kiting, Vietnam (MuiNe) and Indonesia (Sanur) are the ticket, with flat water and waves, some well overhead and clear water.

www.kite-line.com

barfly

Since 31 Mar 2005
1210 Posts
Seaside
BRACKISH

PostMon Apr 06, 09 11:20 am     Reply with quote

Thanks. Looks like Phuket might get some waves too??

synergy12

Since 31 May 2007
135 Posts

Stoked

PostMon Aug 19, 19 1:25 pm    Hua Hin Thailand Reply with quote

Best spot for waves is Thung Wua Laen, about 3 hours south of Hua Hin. Wind season there is November through mid January, but expect wind about 50% of the time. Wind is between 15 and 25 knots with a few days around 30 knots. Cheap bungalows abound on that beach, for a monthly rate expect to pay around $15 / day.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: