Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Electric Pump for both iSUP and kites

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
*wolverine*

Since 10 Apr 2016
3 Posts

Kook

PostFri Jan 05, 18 12:43 pm    Electric Pump for both iSUP and kites Reply with quote

So I got my daughters an iSUP for Christmas and it was a hit. I see myself being the one to blow this monster up and the pump is nice but it's more of a challenge than blowing up my kites.

Question.

Has anyone found an electric pump or a connector whereby one can convert the HR Valve to a general connector where I can use an adapter for my various kites?

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostFri Jan 05, 18 6:39 pm     Reply with quote

I would check the kPa or PSI limits of your electric pump first.

I think my pump is rated to 12 PSI however even at 9 PSI it is working hard (and getting hot).

I believe SUPs often have a much higher PSI requirement.

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostSat Jan 06, 18 8:57 am     Reply with quote

This looks like it will do the trick. https://www.westmarine.com/buy/kwik-tek--super-high-pressure-air-pump-20psi--16043382 Looking at the picture, it looks like it has a standard air hose fitting; but I'd check it out in person to be sure. Electric pumps tend to burn out; get the two year extended service plan. West Marine has been good about in-store exchanges with that plan, at least in my experience.

I use this manual pump. https://redpaddleco.com/en-us/accessory/titan-pump/ It is WAY easier to pump up an iSUP than it is with standard iSUP pumps. Watch where you buy it though. The earlier models had quality control problems; you want a 2017 or later model. (Amazon is selling the earlier model; that's why it's cheaper.) I made an extra hose with a standard kite fitting for this pump so that I could use it for kites as well. It's nice to have for really big kites, but if I'm going far from the car I just take a standard kite pump. (One of the new tall ones, I'd never use the old pumps except in an emergency.)

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostSat Jan 06, 18 10:12 am     Reply with quote

Nak wrote:
Electric pumps tend to burn out;

Very good point. It's important to note that the gears inside a pump are plastic.

1) Sand is your enemy
2) Dropping on ground is your enemy

I now keep mine in a protected backpack with additional padding. My last pump has been working since July of 2013.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: