Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Does size matter?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
robkov

Since 03 Jul 2006
90 Posts

PostTue Feb 20, 07 11:52 am    Does size matter? Reply with quote

I learned to kite last year, I ride a 12m and 16m xbow in and around HR almost everytime out.

Why when I go out do people look at me funny when I put up thesee kites?

Am I just a bad kiter with bad technique, so I need a big kite to compensate for my poor abilities? I just don't see how you get air on a small kite.

And I weigh 220 lb.

I want to buy a Bularoo, and can not decide if I should go 13m, or 10m.

Someone tell me if I really need the 13m or will I figure out how to use the 10m effectively.

Rob

Scribble

Since 18 Nov 2005
636 Posts
NoPo
Addicted

PostTue Feb 20, 07 12:05 pm     Reply with quote

I think I've decide that I am going to buy a 10m Bularoo. I have a 7m waroo and I will keep my 17m c kite. I haven't found too many reviews but the 10 Bularoo sounds like its almost a 11 waroo which the 11 waroo I tried in Baja rides like an 13 Slingshot Fuel. Anyway I ride my 13 Fuel more than any other kite so I'm thinking the 10 may be perfect. I started kiting last year also. I'm not really jumping all that much yet but I've definitely learned how to keep the kite moving and now I'm able to ride smaller kites in less wind. Smaller kites are just more fun for me also.

Andy

magicmaker

Since 29 Oct 2006
895 Posts
da Hood
Opinionated

PostTue Feb 20, 07 12:08 pm     Reply with quote

well, i think the fact you weigh 220 lbs has something to do with it. Maybe you dont look like you weigh in at 220? When i first read your post, i was thinking 12m xbow most of the time Shocked but then when i read you weigh 220lbs, and that sounds about right.

I understand cause people would give me flack for riding an 11m fuel almost everyday out in the gorge last summer (i weighed like 175 lbs). The people giving me flak would be going out on like 7m waroos or xbows.

I'm guessing you ride a pretty small board, if you feel like you're flying a big kites. Frankly, what i learned to do, is stop caring what other people think. I know my abilities, i know what works for me, so who cares what anybody else thinks.

People are just concerned they see a beginner kiter going out on a big kite, because it is really gusty in the gorge, and we dont want to see anybody get tea bagged too hard (just a couple times is pretty entertaining tho Twisted Evil )

forrest

Since 21 Jun 2005
4329 Posts
Hood River
Hick

CGKA Member

PostTue Feb 20, 07 2:14 pm     Reply with quote

What board and do you ride? What size?

Moto

Since 03 Sep 2006
2698 Posts
Still a gojo pimp!
Moto Mouth

PostTue Feb 20, 07 2:28 pm     Reply with quote

If you can handle the gusts and ride then it really doesn't matter the size of the kite. Of course as you get more experienced you will find that you have a personal preference, but its really up to you - again, just as long as you can handle the power.

But to be completely honest with you - if someone asked me to launch them on the spit with a 16 xbow - I would give them a funny look to. Not because I think they are a bad rider - but because I would be concerned about them getting hurt. MagicMaker is right - if someone goes out on a kite that has too much power for them and they get tea bagged and lofted a couple times then everyone will get a good laugh out of it. However, no one wants to see anyone get hurt out there - we are out there to have a good time - not to end up in the hospital.

Donny Baker

Since 13 Jul 2006
80 Posts

PostTue Feb 20, 07 3:08 pm     Reply with quote

robkov, I rode a 16xbow most of the summer at the gorge last season too. I weigh 200 lbs. I get funny looks too but it beats sinking out in the middle. Plus, I will crush the puny little man that gives me too much grief on the sand spit. It would probably help to get a bigger board but, I don't got one.

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostTue Feb 20, 07 3:08 pm     Reply with quote

even at 220, your really missing out on the 9m... its the sweet size for all the bows.

forrest

Since 21 Jun 2005
4329 Posts
Hood River
Hick

CGKA Member

PostTue Feb 20, 07 3:32 pm     Reply with quote

You should really consider board options too. If you're feeling underpowered, a larger board might help you more than a bigger kite.

I'm 195 lbs. I rode the 06 Underground 142 FLX and a 06 7m Waroo all last summer in the gorge. This summer coming up, I'm planning on riding a LF Mission 144 with bindings and my Waroo 9m.

robkov

Since 03 Jul 2006
90 Posts

PostTue Feb 20, 07 10:01 pm    ? Reply with quote

I am just as confused as before. Confused

I am not so much concerned about what people think, but some people actually refuse to toss up a 16m for you.

I ride a 150 Gorge Animal or a Liquid Force Drop 136.

I am sooooo in Donny's mindset with sinking down in the channel waiting to be picked up. I have yelled at the sky many times to f-n blow.

But I am wondering if I am really going to progress, will I want a smaller kite. I have no clue what pros ride. Not that I am planning on quiting my teaching job and all.

Thanks for the input.

Rob

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4204 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostWed Feb 21, 07 2:15 am     Reply with quote

You have to know what you need and be confident. I'm about your weight and I ride my 19 fuel up to about 20 knots. (Gusting higher.) I tried a 9m bow last summer at the spit when everyone else was on 7s, what a waste of great wind. A 12 would have been great.

Bring a wind gauge, know what the wind is, know what kite you need. If you seem unsure, lighter riders will be hesitant to launch you because your kite will seem way too big to them. If you know what you need and project confidence, most kiters will launch you. If you're unsure, better to rig small first, then go bigger later.

Your board has to be bigger as well as your kite. Not just bigger, but set up with less rocker so that you'll have more planing surface area. Again, your board will seem big to lighter riders, but you'll hold it down just fine. I never progressed past beginner until I switched from a 144 to a SX 151. (A GREAT board for your weight!!!)

As far as which bullaroo, if it were me I'd go with a 10 for steady state winds of at least 25 knots. (No lulls less than that.) I may take some shit for that, but that is what I would do. Any less wouldn't be fun with a 10. But that's just me. I think a 13 would be a pretty good gorge kite for most conditions...

You have experience on your Xbows, go with what you know. If your 12 Xbow was as small as you could ride, you have your own answer. In the end, you have to decide what's right for you. Your board, your weight, your kite and your style all have an impact.

Have fun!
Nak

boredbrain

Since 16 Feb 2006
352 Posts
Hood River
Obsessed

PostWed Feb 21, 07 8:53 am    Launch yourself Reply with quote

Hopefully we'll have a great big beach this summer and not have to reley on launch assistance.

Self launching is a great thing to know how to do.

I actually prefer it, you set up, you pick the wind angle, you start and stop as needed.

robkov

Since 03 Jul 2006
90 Posts

PostWed Feb 21, 07 7:27 pm    Nak Reply with quote

Thanks Nak !!

Rob

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: