Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Bluff photos from the Sandbar today 2-13-07 & economic o
Page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
J.P.

Since 10 Mar 2005
638 Posts

Addicted

PostThu Feb 15, 07 11:35 am     Reply with quote

Pepi wrote:

One thing that I do hear from other kiters around the outer NW region is the question of "are you guys a bunch of weak assed pussies, who can't walk a hundred yards across flat sand??"

There is an old Sumo saying, that says sometimes you just need to " suck up a nut and deal with your issues.
Just wanted to try to keep our reality in perspective.
My apologies to whomever will be offended by this reality.

Thanks
Pepi

Pepi, you're not the only one that sees that perspective!

Thanks for sharing!

J.P.

Since 10 Mar 2005
638 Posts

Addicted

PostThu Feb 15, 07 11:36 am    Re: Sand is great Reply with quote

boredbrain wrote:
More sand the better, that's why the coast is so much better than the gorge.

don't forget the rolling half pipes! Very Happy

tstansbury

Since 06 Jun 2006
649 Posts
Rowena and P.C
Addicted

PostThu Feb 15, 07 11:48 am     Reply with quote

Just want to be clear that you are going to suck up your own nut? Everyone who has been buying event site parking passes should just park at the event site and walk over. This may also lead to a cheaper sandbar only pass.

Pepi

Since 16 Jun 2006
1831 Posts
Pure Stoke Sports
Shop Owner

CGKA Member

PostThu Feb 15, 07 12:13 pm     Reply with quote

If it is good wind and the launch is safe, you can always count on me sucking up a nut to get in a good session, whether I'm hauling kite gear or windsurf gear.

One thing you need to think about is how overcrowded the Event Site parking lot already is on a windy summer day. Not much room for any additional users, plus the parking fees are more expensive than the Sandbar.

Pepi

www.Purestokesports.com

tstansbury

Since 06 Jun 2006
649 Posts
Rowena and P.C
Addicted

PostThu Feb 15, 07 12:17 pm     Reply with quote

I am mostly talking crap since I rarly leave mosier or secrets in the summer. early spring I may hit the sandbar in which case It may be easier to park at the event site unless the water is higher.

endoshred

Since 22 May 2006
232 Posts
HR
Stoked

PostThu Feb 15, 07 12:22 pm     Reply with quote

a have not heard from the golfers out there. that new 600 yard par 5 has huge lateral water hazzards and sand. hein, were can we rent your cart. who's caddying?

Gman

Since 11 Feb 2006
4907 Posts
Portland
Unstrapped

PostThu Feb 15, 07 12:32 pm     Reply with quote

Boo Hoo - what shame - though my full service fantasies don't involve kiting - Not to change the subject but Endo what happened to your friend that was collected by that sneaker wave at Floras - sounded scary.

endoshred

Since 22 May 2006
232 Posts
HR
Stoked

PostThu Feb 15, 07 1:34 pm     Reply with quote

not sure who Will is doing. i dont have the full story, but it appears that Will from floras lake (who runs the b&b and kite/windsurfing school) was severely injured at the lake this fall when a sneaker wave washed over the burm separating the lake and ocean. the wave was said to have washed a large log towards the lake and it struck Will as he ran from the wave.

Does anyone have any info on how he is doing?

gabe

Since 16 May 2005
475 Posts

Obsessed

PostThu Feb 15, 07 2:18 pm     Reply with quote

Shocked

that's horrible.

but i guess when the cascadia fault goes, this will happen to everyone? especially the troll.

endoshred wrote:
not sure who Will is doing. i dont have the full story, but it appears that Will from floras lake (who runs the b&b and kite/windsurfing school was severely injured at the lake this fall when a sneaker wave washed over the burm separating the lake and ocean. the wave was said to have washed a large log towards the lake and it struck Will as he ran from the wave.

Does anyone have any info on how he is doing?

Inept_Fun

Since 14 Apr 2005
1417 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostThu Feb 15, 07 7:14 pm     Reply with quote

Anyone see the sandbar today? Crazy what some rain does.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Pepi

Since 16 Jun 2006
1831 Posts
Pure Stoke Sports
Shop Owner

CGKA Member

PostThu Feb 15, 07 9:13 pm     Reply with quote

What sandbar?
It looked to be almost totally submerged by late afternoon.

You could see a lot of waves breaking on the shallow sections though.

I'm sure there are few nasty logs hidden under all that water too.

Pepi

www.Purestokesports.com

bamboo

Since 24 Jun 2005
165 Posts
da 'chung; taiwan
Stoked

PostThu Feb 15, 07 10:16 pm     Reply with quote

golf carts, enviromental issues, long walks, and full service aside what kinda miffs me is the opportunity lost. the river will likely reclaim all that sand. it might not be this spring or it will be this spring. either way, there's a shit load of material sitting right there dead center in hood river. now, if i was betting man i would say kiting is here to stay and it is a fresh breath of econmic rivival...locally! of which we've only hit the tip of the iceberg. say what you will about out of towners but they drive the local economy with their gas dollars, burger purchases and metrosexual clothing items. and that aint' gonna stop. the port, mayor, or whatever political figure is running this show should be thinking more about how to capitalize on that instead of denying the invetible. which should lead any smart man back to the all that sand....

pick it up before it goes and condense it on one spot. wether it be just east of wells (and west of the event site) or right in front of the spit parking lot so there's no more lot (and hot) launches. no matter how you slice it, it's gotta be a lot cheaper than dredging a few years from now and having to reclaim some other spot just because you were one step too late to the dance. come on, see it for what it is. opportunity, at least somewhere.

now if i were sitting in stevenson i would snap up that sand faster than a whore sweats in church and get ahead of the curve. the reality is their competition is another town, it's a doggy dog world.

but of course i'm sure the enviro's would have a field day with all of this, and there's more to the logistics then i would ever admit to knowing. i'm just a simple kiter. but from what i know there's sure to be more spin in meetings, hearings, board rooms, and assesments than on the real heart of the matter...what to do about this new sport (kiting) that is growing faster than this old sport (windsurfing).

natedogg - you definitely have the right idea! you'll have more benji's than you'll know what to do with.

robkov

Since 03 Jul 2006
90 Posts

PostSun Feb 18, 07 10:08 am    Dubai Reply with quote

Have you ever been to Dubai, the United Arab Emerates, it is not the most "fun" place. Only place we could get beer was from the Australians.

Somehow they always know how to get beer!

Rob

Reaper356

Since 10 Dec 2006
781 Posts
Salem / LC Oregon
Opinionated

PostSun Feb 18, 07 10:37 am     Reply with quote

Yeah, Dubai also has a zero tolerance drinking policy. A friend from work went there and said you also have to hire locals to drive because if you get stopped and they even smell alcohol you're in jail for like 6 months!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: