Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Camping in MAUI

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
boardrider

Since 05 Apr 2006
1034 Posts
Ventura, CA
XTreme Poster

PostSun Feb 11, 07 6:55 pm    Camping in MAUI Reply with quote

Anyone have any experience w/ camping in Maui. Kanaha beach park looks nice. Any recommendations, or should I just forget about it and rent a house/condo. - Thx - C

stringy

Since 23 Jun 2006
1726 Posts
vancouver
XTreme Poster

PostSun Feb 11, 07 9:59 pm     Reply with quote

During my first time in Maui, I tried camping Kanaha. It's rough out there and the locals camp there. We had our tent setup on the beach at dusk, then went to eat only to come back to find some locals moved it so they could camp. I decided to sleep in the rental van that night and woke up to pit bulls fighting in the parking lot.

I would suggest you find a hotel or better yet, try the surf hostel in Paia.

Here's the link

http://www.mauigateway.com/~riki/index.htm

jim

thealohakid

Since 09 Aug 2006
58 Posts
MAUI

PostMon Feb 12, 07 1:01 am     Reply with quote

Don't think twice or even once about camping at kanaha. The sceane is very homeless. It's the worst I've seen in four years.

boardrider

Since 05 Apr 2006
1034 Posts
Ventura, CA
XTreme Poster

PostMon Feb 12, 07 7:01 am     Reply with quote

Thx - C

Teague

Since 10 Jul 2005
114 Posts
Really Windy Places
Stoked

PostMon Feb 12, 07 8:42 am     Reply with quote

Camp and car-theft is very big there even in broad daylight. Not just your kiting gear but everything is a target. If I were to do it I would do what Stringy did and rent a big van and dont stay in one spot too long. Keep moble.

DrScoles

Since 13 Nov 2006
25 Posts
Sammamish, WA

PostWed Feb 14, 07 9:45 am     Reply with quote

There's an older woman camping there right now who claims she is a hawaiian queen. She's crazy... Got in a big fight with a kiter when I was there taking lessons. She moved all of our stuff... Can only imagine what that place is like at night...

Mike

J.P.

Since 10 Mar 2005
638 Posts

Addicted

PostWed Feb 14, 07 1:33 pm    Re: Camping in MAUI Reply with quote

boardrider wrote:
Anyone have any experience w/ camping in Maui. Kanaha beach park looks nice. Any recommendations, or should I just forget about it and rent a house/condo. - Thx - C

Last i heard, you can still camp at the light house over looking Jaws.
Hang a left at mile marker 11 on the road to Hana. ~3-4 miles east of Hookipa

azazello

Since 11 Jun 2005
60 Posts
Seattle

PostWed Feb 14, 07 2:28 pm    Re: Camping in MAUI Reply with quote

J.P. wrote:

Last i heard, you can still camp at the light house over looking Jaws.
Hang a left at mile marker 11 on the road to Hana. ~3-4 miles east of Hookipa

I've been there a couple of months ago and had to walk - rental car got bashed mercilessly but I could only manage it half way there. The road is just too uneven and rutted out plus it was quite wet.

On a budget, could just take a cab from the airport and walk to the lighthouse and camp there I guess.

Reaper356

Since 10 Dec 2006
781 Posts
Salem / LC Oregon
Opinionated

PostWed Feb 14, 07 3:50 pm     Reply with quote

That sounds like a third world country!
Maybe you can rent a special "technical" van for that area (The one's w/ the m2 mounted up)? Very Happy

boardrider

Since 05 Apr 2006
1034 Posts
Ventura, CA
XTreme Poster

PostWed Feb 14, 07 6:31 pm     Reply with quote

This 'Hostel' is 3 miles kite beach , 5 to Sprecks and Hookipa - and only 375$/ month for surfers/ kiters. Maybe I'll have to take a month off work.

Banana Bungalow in Wailuku
http://www.mauihostel.com/

stringy

Since 23 Jun 2006
1726 Posts
vancouver
XTreme Poster

PostWed Feb 14, 07 6:54 pm     Reply with quote

Quote:
This 'Hostel' is 3 miles kite beach , 5 to Sprecks and Hookipa - and only 375$/ month for surfers/ kiters. Maybe I'll have to take a month off work.

Banana Bungalow in Wailuku
http://www.mauihostel.com/

I have stayed here. I should have recommended this place but I enjoyed the experience at the surf hostel better. There is a kite instructor who also works at the banana bungalow. He gives lessons at action beach. if you do stay here, I recommend earplugs. It is next to a very busy road and the walls are thin. Nice community/kitchen area there.

mahalo
jim

tautologies

Since 24 Aug 2006
602 Posts
Oahu
Addicted

PostSun Feb 18, 07 4:33 am     Reply with quote

There are several camping spots on the island. Most of which are nice. I have not tried the kitebeach one, so I cannot say for sure how that would be, but there is a YMCA, on the Island, and as mentioned before Banana Bunglaow is not bad. For the $400 you share a room though, so if you are afraid for your stuff....well, if you are looking for bed and breakfasts check out

affordable-paradise.com

the last time I was there I ended up sleeping at the airport...wasn't too nice...hard friggin' floors..

A.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: