Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

snowkite weekend

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
registered

Since 12 Jul 2005
1319 Posts
tsunami
Sandbagger

PostMon Feb 12, 07 8:28 am    snowkite weekend Reply with quote

Well hundreds of miles in the truck and a hundred on the sled landed a awesome day at crater lake. sw winds on the 11 meter all day with knee deep nice powder. We searched high Illegally on bachelor and the surrounding area for openness, and all I got was wet and disappointed. Accross the valley we went to the observatory on pine mtn and were further soaked in rain and concrete snow, which is great for burying sleds in.

So we relocated to the old crater, we were there by 4 pm and the weather was perfect. cold and snowing and 15-20 winds. so the next morning with the light of the full day we assualted the vast open area at the rim of the crater, miles further in than the pumice desert . The wind was perfect all day, the snow was even better. Not allowing snowmobiles off the trail is clutch to the preservation of fresh tracks all day every day.

like a couple bone heads no camera ,sorry.

that place has some of the best snow conditions I have seen kiting. I guess thats what 8,000 ft will do for you. The highway is at 4500'.

the noaa predictions are usually strangely accurate for the area so far as well. And don't forget if there is no wind Mt.bailey can be poached with a 30 minute sled ride.

for your info .....

pacifichigh

Since 11 May 2005
1004 Posts
ATX
Texan

PostMon Feb 12, 07 9:07 am     Reply with quote

Without pictures it never happend Regi!

registered

Since 12 Jul 2005
1319 Posts
tsunami
Sandbagger

PostMon Feb 12, 07 9:18 am     Reply with quote

good no sale he he... more for me. Its a camera vortex. my camera always flakes up there too cold for baterries or something.

Sol-flyer

Since 21 Mar 2006
1280 Posts
Dude, where's my Bus?
Otto Mann

PostMon Feb 12, 07 1:54 pm     Reply with quote

glad to hear you got some, its hard to predict when to get it right. i've been going to Mt.ashland instead of crater, its always windy.

last time i went to crater i was hassled by the rangers. i would suggest not going to the lodge(or anywhere in the mazama village). They didnt seem to open to the idea of kiting in "there" national park. his exact words we're (MMMM....i'm gonna look into this kiting thing). not the friendliest folk thats for sure.

blowhard

Since 26 Dec 2005
2025 Posts

Windward

PostThu Feb 15, 07 5:25 pm    oh ya Reply with quote

,without pics we were never there and really don't exist?
I'm sure the tracks I saw ????(led home)
Arrow
It's true the word coming down from above (STEENS) Forest Service is that kites are mechanical devices
and cannot
issue permit for Kiting,contrary to what some field Reps. in the Deschutes told us last year .
don't ask don't tell
what variety of snow does Mt Ashland generate ?
seems a little low in Elevation

Sol-flyer

Since 21 Mar 2006
1280 Posts
Dude, where's my Bus?
Otto Mann

PostFri Feb 16, 07 12:12 pm     Reply with quote

Mt. Ashland:
Base Area Elevation, 6350 Ft. Summit Elevation, 7500 Ft.

we just had a nice cold front come thru, but didnt deliver. instead we got rain Rolling Eyes

i estimate a 15" snowbase....hurtin

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: