Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Ventana Cell Service, mosquitoes and temp... a few Q's...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
marina c

Since 03 Apr 2006
318 Posts
California/Gorge Summer
Obsessed

PostTue Feb 13, 07 6:38 am    Ventana Cell Service, mosquitoes and temp... a few Q's... Reply with quote

Hi all,

I leave for Ventana (tomorrow!) and have a few last minute q's if you can help:-)

is there cell reception down in Ventana, esp for Verizon?

are mosquitoes an issue when there is no wind/at nightime?

is a 4/3 wetsuit going to roast me? It's either that or a 1mm shorty!

Is a sweatshirt at night going to suffice or something warmer? I am a cold weather weenie!

Thanks!

Marina

registered

Since 12 Jul 2005
1319 Posts
tsunami
Sandbagger

PostTue Feb 13, 07 8:00 am     Reply with quote

no cell phone ,unless you have some mexican service.
I wore a shorty wet suit.
don't remember mosquitos, it the desert.

bring some fleece to lounge in , the mornings were the chilly time, but not really cold.

And remember have fun, you will love it.

Remember your passport and mexican insurance.

kss

Since 24 Apr 2006
613 Posts
pdx
Addicted

PostTue Feb 13, 07 8:16 am    bring both suits Reply with quote

bring both suits if you can. i was down 2 weeks ago. wore my 4/3 a couple days as well as my shorty. it has been a bit colder than normal down there. i got a bit chilly w shorty one of the days.

hope you get some good wind!

stringy

Since 23 Jun 2006
1726 Posts
vancouver
XTreme Poster

PostTue Feb 13, 07 8:21 am     Reply with quote

marina,
I never saw anyone using cellphones, but I did witness many skype users. There is wireless internet for a small fee, but works well for skype. Skype headsets are fairly inexpensive up here, but they also have them in La Paz also. Verizon does not work anywhere down there. If you have cingular, you can get the SIM upgrade but don't know how the reception is in LV. There is a pay phone in town also.
I was there two weeks ago and brought a 4/3 but mainly used that when I was in the water with the camera.
I spent a couple of days without a suit. The days I rode with the fullsuit, I was still comfortable. Those were the days I practiced boosting. When it is clear and sunny, you can get by without a suit. A couple of days it was very cloudy. I would recommend the 4/3 for you.
Mosquitoes were not an issue on this trip. Crickets were everywhere so bring some earplugs!
You may want a warm coat. I wore a fleece at night. It has been chilly in the evenings. I saw plenty of north face coats while down there.
But bring your bikini for some hot springs action! This is a must for any La Ventana/El Sargento visit.

Have fun,
jim

Garret

Since 07 Sep 2006
254 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostTue Feb 13, 07 8:28 am     Reply with quote

My Verizon phone worked in La Paz at the airport, but no where else. Not sure where you are staying, but a lot of places have wi-fi if you bring your lap top. And I agree about the warmer cloths, gets a bit chilly at night. I was there a couple of weeks ago and was using a 4-3 full wet suit, but switched to a shorty when it warmed up a bit-- enjoy

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2062 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostTue Feb 13, 07 9:37 am     Reply with quote

UR going to want the 4/3 full for sure and a set of warm clothes including a socking cap or something for night/early morning. It can be a long wait for dinner at most of those resturants, and when dining open air or outside it can get chilly; especially when your downing those cold tasty mexican beers. Very Happy Last yr we stayed near an old unused well that was used by mosquitoes. . . they liked the buildings with shade and were sheltered from the wind. Earplugs are a great idea as there are also local residents with dogs, roosters, and some of them fish for a living so they are up way before dawn.

Have fun.

blancoh2o

Since 15 Mar 2005
1153 Posts
Oregon
Phishy

PostTue Feb 13, 07 9:43 am     Reply with quote

Marina,
You can buy a phone card at the little store next to Pablo's Resturaunt (Del Norte). It is 50 pesos for 10 minutes.

https://kb4c.rallyup.com/kb4c/286ef9/Member

jsj

Since 11 Sep 2006
83 Posts
Hood River

PostTue Feb 13, 07 11:37 am     Reply with quote

call your provider and ask them to activate international roaming.... it's free as long as you don't use it.

Ventana has spotty reception, El Sargento is pretty good (oddly enough, this is where the tower is located). Local provider is Telmex, may sometimes see Movista(sp?), they are a legit operation too.

your provider may also have the option of a discounted mexican plan (cingular - $5/month for calls at $0.3/min vs $0.5/min + long distance).

better yet, you are going on vacation. leave the phone at home unless your wife is about to give birth or something.

jsj

jsj

Since 11 Sep 2006
83 Posts
Hood River

PostTue Feb 13, 07 11:40 am    dooooh Reply with quote

oops.

hi marina- didn't notice it was you!

ok, so substitute "major advertising deal" for "expectant wife"

have fun, go big!

john

Exclamation

beaulaurier

Since 16 Dec 2006
1 Posts
La Ventana

PostTue Feb 13, 07 3:52 pm     Reply with quote

Hi Marina,

I have been down in La Ventana since October, so here goes..

There is some cell service down here, although I am not sure about Verizon. My friend uses Cingular and gets great reception.
The mosquitoes aren't that bad right now, I haven't seen a single one in weeks. We may see more as the weather heats up. There are lots of flies though...
The water is starting to warm up, fast. I have been wearing a 2/1 shorty all season and that has been good for me. I am thinking about switching over to a rash guard pretty soon. I am a little cold blooded though..
A hoody sweatshirt should be fine, you might want to bring a beanie if you get cold easy.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Bring some wind please Very Happy

See you on the water,
Brian

marina c

Since 03 Apr 2006
318 Posts
California/Gorge Summer
Obsessed

PostTue Feb 13, 07 4:15 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for all your help! This forum rocks:-)

Marina

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: