Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Board thefts at Meadows

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Pepi

Since 16 Jun 2006
1831 Posts
Pure Stoke Sports
Shop Owner

CGKA Member

PostThu Feb 08, 07 7:22 pm    Board thefts at Meadows Reply with quote

I know this is off topic.

But, we just want to encourage anyone heading up to Meadows this season to really think about spending the money on ski/snowboard check, or use the buddy-system in watching your gear when you go into the lodge for a potty break.

Our shop has experienced an unusually high number of theft reports from both customers and our staff/teamriders at Meadows.

The thefts have been from both open areas and secured areas (As well as a smash and dash from Hillcrest in Portland)

Also, if anyone comes across a to-good-to-be-true deal on any 2008 Atomic Snowboards, particularly an Alibi 156cm, please contact 2nd Wind Sports.
Our brand new 2008 Atomic Alibi board was stolen from a secured employee storage area.
Plus, Hillcrest (ski/snowboard shop in Portland) had 2 of the same snowboards stolen by some non-local Meadows staff (they are trying to get Meadows to pursue this, but with little help).

Thank you for taking the time to read this, and sorry about the off-topic subject.

Pepi

www.Purestokesports.com

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostThu Feb 08, 07 10:32 pm     Reply with quote

Happened to a couple friends of mine over New Year's too. Both super high-end Burton setups... We were watching them, just looked away for 1 minute. Evil or Very Mad

Pepi

Since 16 Jun 2006
1831 Posts
Pure Stoke Sports
Shop Owner

CGKA Member

PostFri Feb 09, 07 1:30 am     Reply with quote

I tried posting a question to Dave Riley on the Meadows webpage to ask about possible changes in their security practices and if there were any actions being taken.

Dave replied with a comment of "It's simple, use ski check"

So this explains that to me that there is no security whatsoever at the mountain, so either police your own gear or pay for ski-check.

I can now finally understand why it has continued all year, starting from day one and it has spread even into the mountain staff areas.
No security or plans for following up on thefts.

Just goes to show, that you really can't trust anyone on the mountain this year.

Do any of you, who ski/board at Timberline or Ski Bowl, hear about any thefts at those mountains?

Pepi

www.Purestokesports.com

tinyE

Since 21 Jan 2006
2004 Posts
not really an
XTreme Poster

PostFri Feb 09, 07 7:29 am     Reply with quote

timberline has a free check...it pisses me off that meadows doesn't do it free.
on skibowl, i usually only stop at the warming hut mid-slope, but never had any problems at either one.

robkov

Since 03 Jul 2006
90 Posts

PostFri Feb 09, 07 9:19 am     Reply with quote

I only go to Timberline, never watch my stuff, never use the free ski check, never had my stuff taken, but my stuff is beat up.

rob

forrest

Since 21 Jun 2005
4329 Posts
Hood River
Hick

CGKA Member

PostFri Feb 09, 07 9:32 am     Reply with quote

Yea, I tried to post a comment on Dave's blog about how the frontline staff was doing this year. It got rejected, wouldn't want the share holders to hear my comments.

http://skihood.com/cs/blogs/daveriley/archive/2007/02/02/How_2700_s-the-front-line-staff-doing-this-year_3F00_.aspx

Anyone know Dave's direct email address? I think he deserves to hear my opinion again!

This was the first year I bought my season passes at meadows, and it will be the last.

boredbrain

Since 16 Feb 2006
352 Posts
Hood River
Obsessed

PostFri Feb 09, 07 10:21 am    How many passes equal a sled Reply with quote

Who cares, better off getting a sled and to not be at meadows at all.

forrest

Since 21 Jun 2005
4329 Posts
Hood River
Hick

CGKA Member

PostFri Feb 09, 07 11:02 am    Re: How many passes equal a sled Reply with quote

boredbrain wrote:
Who cares, better off getting a sled and to not be at meadows at all.

True, True. Another reason to get one I hadn't thought of!

Reaper356

Since 10 Dec 2006
781 Posts
Salem / LC Oregon
Opinionated

PostFri Feb 09, 07 3:48 pm     Reply with quote

On a kiting note: This summer as a beginner I was taking a kiting lesson on the Siletz. The instructor had three '06 Fuels in the bags + mine in the air. We left the stuff behind some driftwood near the path right behind my parents. I did some body dragging & they moved away from the kites w/ my clothes.

Well, some hoodlum looking idiots came up and lit the dune grass right by this house on fire mid-lesson! There was like 25 mph of breeze & it was going to burn the house! My dad went to put it out and the F'ers stole my fav Burton hat from where he'd been sitting!!! Little did they know there was like $4000 worth of kites that we were barely watching.

So now, I have a "Dead Guy" glow in the dark hat from the Rogue that the significant other likes a lot more.

There's just no honesty anymore and it takes the fun out of stuff cuz you have to worry. I have someone watch my kiting stuff like hawk when I'm at the beach. We usually go target shoot at the coast, so that person is generally armed to boot. Wink

Slidingby

Since 29 Mar 2006
125 Posts
Portland, OR
Stoked

PostSat Feb 10, 07 1:42 am     Reply with quote

FlyinElvis wrote:
timberline has a free check...it pisses me off that meadows doesn't do it free.
on skibowl, i usually only stop at the warming hut mid-slope, but never had any problems at either one.

Yeah, I had to pay 50 bucks this year for ski-check up there! Evil or Very Mad

- I'm always really careful about keeping an eye on my sh!t these days.. can't trust anybody anymore!

Pepi

Since 16 Jun 2006
1831 Posts
Pure Stoke Sports
Shop Owner

CGKA Member

PostSat Feb 10, 07 9:46 am     Reply with quote

For any of you that would like to give Meadows some feedback, you should definitely consider going to Dave's Blog on the Meadows webpage too give him some of your feedback on the realities of the resort.

I think that most people use the blog as a way of trying to just say something nice and see their name on the webpage. Most people on the blog usually just post fluffy compliments that appear to have little if any constructive thought put into them.

http://skihood.com/cs/blogs/daveriley/archive/2007/02/02/How_2700_s-the-front-line-staff-doing-this-year_3F00_.aspx

Scroll down to the bottom of the page to read the latest comments and to
post your own comments.
Dave screens all the posts, so keep the comments well thought out and smart.

Pepi

www.Purestokesports.com

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: