Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

SAUVIE ISLAND

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
shastadogs2

Since 28 Mar 2005
336 Posts

Obsessed

PostWed Jul 06, 05 7:50 pm    SAUVIE ISLAND Reply with quote

HEYA,
CAN ANYONE HELP ME OUT WITH THE SCENE AT SI? I STOPPED IN AT THE KITEBEACH LAST THURSDAY AFTER A ROUGH AFTERNOON AT JONES (I AM A NEWBIE), WAS WATCHING THE KITENIGHT SCENE, AND I HAVE TO TELL YOU, IT LOOKED PRETTY FRENETIC TO ME: A ZILLION KITES ON THE BEACH, PEOPLE LAUNCHING OVER OTHER PEOPLE'S HEADS, ALL IT SEEMED TO LACK WERE CLOWNS FOR A FULL-ON CIRCUS.

SO. . .I GUESS I STAY ON THE BEACH ON THURSDAY NIGHTS, BUT IS IT ALWAYS SO CROWDED DURING THE WEEK? AND CAN ANYONE TELL ME HOW TO TELL WHEN THE WIND IS GOING OFF? (NO WIND SENSOR ON THE ISLAND, I GUESS). IS IT GENERALY BEST DURING AFTERNOONS, OR KITEABLE IN THE MORNINGS? ANY ADIVCE FOR A NEW GUY AT SI?

THANKS FOR LISTENING
JIMBO

pacifichigh

Since 11 May 2005
1004 Posts
ATX
Texan

PostThu Jul 07, 05 6:36 am     Reply with quote

Sauvies gets a little busy when it is on. If you don't feel comfortable with the crowds walk up the beach to get away from it(upwind). The most important thing is to be safe and make sure you are not putting yourself or anyone else (kiter or non-kiter) at risk. Sauvies generally blows in the afternoon. Check out the ikitesurf sensor at scapoose, and there is also a sensor on the fremont bridge. Be safe

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostThu Jul 07, 05 8:17 am     Reply with quote

As the weather gets hotter (we all hope) the beach gets rather crowded with non-kiters. The kiters mass by the rusted out boat on the beach. This basically is the last area of beach served by the parking lot. Most experienced riders don't need lots of room on the beach to get out on the water and to return to the same spot where they launched, but the less experienced rider/kiter often times gets blown downwind/upriver past the boat. This is where more non-kiters hang out on the beach and in/on the banks of the Columbia. This is also where the wind gets inconsistent do to wind shaddows etc . . . This is the area where an accident is most likely to happen with a non-kiter.

I learned at SI, but if I had to do it all over again I would do the following:

Drive my gear upwind to approx the Osprey nest, drop it off, go park down where all the kiters park and then walk back upwind (1/4 mile or so). Launch from there and do your training upwind of all the action, it will be a lot less stressful. Secondly, if you can get some jetski assistance, you'll make vast progress. Have the jetski follow you on a long downwind run and pick you non-crowded spot to land on the beach and or land in the water offshore with the help of the jetski person. It will save you a lot of energy and coordination that can be focused on kiting rather than setup, breakdown and walking upwind which you should do with a crowded beach.

Two other good places to learn are open beaches with no crowds ie Sunset beach or Floras Lake which has jetski assistance, fresh water lake and ocean waves just the other side of the dudes.

there are also lessons offered at SI by Amery of ASI.

pauls

Since 20 Jun 2005
562 Posts
white salmon
Addicted

PostThu Jul 07, 05 9:22 am    windiest where? Fremont sensor down? Reply with quote

does anyone know when the N/NW wind kicks in how the wind strength at SI compares to Kalama?

Is the wind sensor on the Fremont bridge busted or did the link change?

Last edited by pauls on Mon Apr 24, 06 10:22 am; edited 1 time in total

pauls

Since 20 Jun 2005
562 Posts
white salmon
Addicted

PostThu Jul 07, 05 9:33 am    sunset beach for learning Reply with quote

sasquatch you suggest Sunset Beach for learning but i wonder how i'd deal with the surf or is it usually really small? wouldn't us beginners be catching airs we don't want yet if we start hitting even little ramps with a bit of speed? Also anyone who might spend some time swimming in the ocean versus riding on it you need a GOOD suit - gets really cold especially if you are getting worked in the white water.

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostThu Jul 07, 05 10:35 am     Reply with quote

Paul: i can't answer your question about the surf until I know how skilled of a rider you are. If you can get up on your board and ride downwind, then I would say Sunset beach could be the place for u depending on the conditions. Lighter winds, smaller swell/waves, and longer intervals between waves can make for some nice green glassy water to edge and turn.

Tide pools and inlets and along this stretch can be nice if you time it with the slack/in-coming tide. waist deep flat water butter.

I wouldn't do it alone if you were learning at any stage and do it with a rider with ocean experience. Typically no one on the beach or in the surf and little to no hard sharp objects.

And yes the ocean can be cold, I wear my 2mm shortie under my 4/3 full body suit, booties and I'm nice and warm. I sometimes were a hood and 2mm gloves as well.

later.

[/quote]

Mark

Since 20 Jun 2005
3677 Posts
I need my fix because I'm a
Naishaholic

PostThu Jul 07, 05 11:24 am     Reply with quote

Can kiteboarders start downriver from the rusted boat? By that I mean the nude beach? Or are we not welcome. I checked it out the other day and it seemed like a nice beach. All though the naked volleyball was not a pleasant view!

www.naishkites.com

Onad

Since 04 Mar 2005
1435 Posts
Coast<<PDX>>Gorge
XTreme Poster

PostThu Jul 07, 05 12:01 pm     Reply with quote

Mark wrote:
Can kiteboarders start downriver from the rusted boat? By that I mean the nude beach? Or are we not welcome. I checked it out the other day and it seemed like a nice beach. All though the naked volleyball was not a pleasant view!

The wind at nude beach (Collins Beach) tends to be fluky & shifty for launching. The wind out in the channel is usually very good, once you get out there. I don’t suggest launching at the nude beach. Also, the harness only look just isn’t pretty Embarassed

PS Gives a whole new image to the nickname/term "The Dangler" Shocked

A quick Google search yeilded this PG-13/R rated site for the curious Arrow http://cheef.com/mooncrow/or-si001.htm

Now I'll just sit back and wait for the pot shots.....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: