Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

is the new sandbar getting too big?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
endoshred

Since 22 May 2006
232 Posts
HR
Stoked

PostThu Dec 14, 06 9:57 pm    is the new sandbar getting too big? Reply with quote

It appears that half of hood river valley has now been deposited at the mouth of hood river to create the newer, bigger and much more permanent sand bar. Its permanence is obvious when considering its size and visability even in the presence of currently very high water levels.

Now has anyone began to discuss the impact of this new sandbar for next year and the comming years to come? My concern is related to the probable westward growth of the spit with possible encroachment on the event site's windsurfing launch. If this is the case, it seems a new battle could brew for rights to the water in front of the event site. Just imagine an expanded zone of shallow water that would be full of beginning kiters taking lessons and long time windsurfing tourists trying to sail around them. Could this create further tension with the port for kiters precious and tenuous access to the sandspit. Assuming that the power brokers of hood river are still biased towards the windsurfers needs (hopefully less so in the future as our kiteboard association grows and strengthens), will kiters again get the short end of the stick?

On another note, is it time to start discussing ideas for the sandbar cleanup. What about the idea of a cleanup with a 'burning-man' type of bonfire and party in early march to pay homage to the spring wind gods?

Just random kiting thoughts on a very dark, cold and windy night.....

Two weeks to baja!
-Scott

Wyo Kiter

Since 09 Mar 2006
148 Posts
In a VAN, down by the RIVER.
Stoked

PostFri Dec 15, 06 5:19 am    Re: is the new sandbar getting too big? Reply with quote

endoshred wrote:
Now has anyone began to discuss the impact of this new sandbar for next year and the comming years to come? My concern is related to the probable westward growth of the spit with possible encroachment on the event site's windsurfing launch. If this is the case, it seems a new battle could brew for rights to the water in front of the event site. -Scott

You cant battle Mother Nature and Natural Selection, The pain will end soon Twisted Evil

Helping companys to innovate bricks-and-clicks supply-chains and orchestrate real-time content to deliver customized channels to scale strategic e-services and facilitate global e-markets which will incubate 24/7 niches and seize dot-com channels.

kitezilla

Since 22 Jun 2006
453 Posts
gorge
Obsessed

PostFri Dec 15, 06 6:14 am     Reply with quote

From this picture, it looks like it will be easier to get over to the sandbar from the Event Center. Imagine blowing up the kites on the nice grassy area, and then, carrying them over to the sandbar. Technically, we really wouldn't be kiting out of the event center, then, but off the sandbar, where they would be launched. Mother nature may have just presented an opportunity to bring together, in cooperation and friendship, windsurfers and kiters, uniting us, just like......well, lets see....oh yeah, just like the way the conflict in the Middle East has brought together....hmmmm

It looks like the side channel going to the West will be deep near the marker, but will deposit a layer of sand at the end of the channel next to the event center, forming a sandbar, where the current slows down. Maybe, it will form a shallow land bridge, to walk across.

Also, I wonder if they will dredge that area, so that the tour boat can get into its dock? There is probably more financial interest in that kind of tourism than in kiteboarding.

sandbar November 06.jpg 

railgrab

Since 29 Mar 2005
177 Posts
Seattle, WA
Stoked

PostFri Dec 15, 06 8:58 am     Reply with quote

That is a very cool aerial shot. Someone really should find a place up on the hill to plant a camera for a time lapse of the sandbar as it comes and goes... perhaps even a web cam.

Ethan

kitezilla

Since 22 Jun 2006
453 Posts
gorge
Obsessed

PostFri Dec 15, 06 10:09 am     Reply with quote

I miss the old Storm Warning Cam. That cam would have been perfect for your idea.

It seems like the Port or Corp would be interested.

Hmmmm...maybe a robotic model airplane with a camera could fly over it every week....naaaa..that's just crazy talk....I mean, where could you even find a company that makes such a thing?

Pepi

Since 16 Jun 2006
1831 Posts
Pure Stoke Sports
Shop Owner

CGKA Member

PostFri Dec 15, 06 11:05 am     Reply with quote

FYI - That sandbar shot was of the sandbar during a very low river level (probably around 6-8 feet lower than normal summer river levels).

That being said, it puts to thought how difficult it may be for us to even get to the sandbar from the sandbar parking lot.

As far as my experience has been so far in speaking with a port official, the Corp of Engineers and the Federal Hydrologist Inspectors are advising for Hood River to take the wait and see approach in determining how the Spring river flows will effect the Sandbar, boatworks channel and river outflow patterns.

From what I have been told, saving the Hood River Railroad trestle (just upstream) may be something of a priority at this moment. The outflow patterns of the Hood River have been dramatically slowed due to a build up of sediment at the sandbar. This has resulted in a much higher water level at the bottom section of the Hood River, which thus causes a dangerous level of erosion on the railroad trestles.
Hood River Railroad employs around 70-90 local employees and is a prime tourist destination business, which puts this possibly as one of the main priorities locally.

As for the kiters and windsurfers, until further word gets back from either the Port or the Corp of Engineers, we will likely have to stay patient and see what Mother Nature and the Spring season outflows will leave us with.

Regarding the comments for the CGKA to take actions or for a burning man scenario, we must all remember that the Sandbar is officially the responsibility of the Port (ownership and management), so let's keep everything legal, officially approved and in the best interest of our local kiting community.
There was an incident of motorized vehicles entering the Sandbar premises this summer without any permit or approval from gov't or federal organizations. This was very much frowned upon by our surrounding environmental organizations involved with the preservation and protection of the Columbia River Gorge area .

2nd Wind Sports has actually inquired about the possibility of hosting a Pray for Wind bonfire party on the Sandbar this Spring. We'll keep you posted on if we can or cannot receive permission or a permit to do this.

One idea that has been discussed for clearing off the Sandbar would be to plan for a work party to be available during the planned a planned high water level week in the Spring time. With the higher water, we could use man-power to roll the logs off into the river. This would be very dangerous though, as a result of the quicksand-like sections of the newly reformed sandbar (We have heard from a few individual telling us of weird quicksand sections on the sandbar, probably from the finer silt deposits newly added to the Sandbar).

I hope this information proves helpful and we will pass on any further info that we come across as it becomes available to us.

Thanks
Pepi

www.Purestokesports.com

kitezilla

Since 22 Jun 2006
453 Posts
gorge
Obsessed

PostFri Dec 15, 06 2:19 pm     Reply with quote

On a related topic...does anyone know what effect the flood had on the downstream end (west end) of Wells Island...was there a lot of new sand deposited. I would guess that a lot of "dead head" tree trunks and limbs eddied out there and will implant themselves, and add themselves to the other remaining hazardous stumps and limbs.

Has anyone been boating in this area, since the flood, and if so, what do you think the changes to the area are?

I have heard that the stumps in the shallow water at the mouth of the Klickatat are now considered "fish habitat", and can not be legally removed. If this could become the case at the Hood River estuary, it is in the interest of kiteboarders to get rid of the stumps before they get washed off the sandbar and implant themselves in the shallow water, thus becoming permanent additions to the kiting area. I never really thought that the spit could get any more dangerous than it already is... but that just goes to show you how much I know.

Maybe the Bonneville Dam administration would pay to haul off the logs and debris before the Spring flood carries the ones that can float, out into the river, and into their dam. I doubt if they want the stuff to get caught in their turbines.

It would be nice if the wood could go to a good use...like firewood. However, the sand will raise hell with your chain saw, if the Port gives out permits, and you choose to cut it up.

endoshred

Since 22 May 2006
232 Posts
HR
Stoked

PostFri Dec 15, 06 7:31 pm     Reply with quote

i'm never saying to do an illegal burn. i definately believe there should be a joint effort to organize a port approved cleanup and party by both the cgwa and cgka. these organizations should always be the voices of our sports. i am a kiter and a windsurfer and support both organizations efforts.

i just know that time will fly by and the sooner all of these issues are brought up to the entire gorge community the better.

water access is a very precious thing. there may be many other businesses, organizations and individuals that have agendas, as well as all the environmental guidelines.

thanks pepi for your valuable input. i trust you are always on the ball on this and had actually assumed you would chime in. luv it if you could keep us updated.

shredbarbie

Since 17 Sep 2005
97 Posts
Hood River, OR

PostWed Feb 07, 07 7:18 pm     Reply with quote

Hi Pepi,

Awesome information. Thanks for the post.

-Shred

J.P.

Since 10 Mar 2005
638 Posts

Addicted

PostThu Feb 08, 07 8:12 am     Reply with quote

endoshred wrote:
i definately believe there should be a joint effort to organize a port approved cleanup and party by both the cgwa and cgka. these organizations should always be the voices of our sports. i am a kiter and a windsurfer and support both organizations efforts.

Agreed!!!
Unfortunately, there are not many of us that have been enlighten by participation in both sports.

Nice work Pepi!!!

Keep it up!!!

John

PS. When are you going to find yourself at Crystal this season!?!
BTW Bring your kites when you come, I've got the snow kiting wired at Crystal. Thumb's Up

J.P.

Since 10 Mar 2005
638 Posts

Addicted

PostThu Feb 08, 07 9:23 am     Reply with quote

kitezilla wrote:

Hmmmm...maybe a robotic model airplane with a camera could fly over it every week....naaaa..that's just crazy talk....I mean, where could you even find a company that makes such a thing?

Look in your back yard...

http://www.insitu.com/contact_contactInfo.cfm Wink

Sol-flyer

Since 21 Mar 2006
1280 Posts
Dude, where's my Bus?
Otto Mann

PostThu Feb 08, 07 9:44 am     Reply with quote

mmm.....sand

looks like a load of fun just waiting to be constucted,...i say make it a whole kiting arena,...like for pro rodeo.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: