Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Kiteboarding near George, Washington

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
charsumo

Since 02 Jul 2005
14 Posts

PostTue Jul 05, 05 4:26 pm    Kiteboarding near George, Washington Reply with quote

Does anyone know if you can kiteboard on the Columbia by George, Washington? We are going to see a show at the Gorge Ampitheater in August and wanted to know if there was anywhere to kite there?

TravisBickleRex

Since 30 Jun 2005
313 Posts

Taxi Driver

PostTue Jul 05, 05 6:14 pm    ...On a pilgrimage to see 'Sabbath Reply with quote

...On a pilgrimage to see original Sabbath at Ozzfest; we camped along the Eastern side of the Columbia River (see photo of map below: South of where I-90 crosses the river.) The wind was blowing west at at-least 22 mph...probably more like 25 mph with gusts over 30 mph. I didn't have my kiting equipment, but it put me on notice that it can happen. Since then, I've always elected not to take my kiting equipment for a couple of reasons; 1) I don't want to have-to worry about it getting ripped-off at the venue and 2) probably more importantly...I don't want to be the one person who's obsessing on wind when there's a good show to be experienced...and usually if you're going to the Gorge Amphitheater it's gonna be a good one.

Mvc-013s.jpg 

mikes

Since 13 Mar 2005
90 Posts
B'Ham

PostTue Jul 05, 05 10:51 pm     Reply with quote

Vantage sucks for kiting from what I've heard and I believe it. I've windsurfed there several times years ago, it generally was super gusty and lifty, and I've heard of a Seattle kiter getting lofted over his parked car. The W winds drop down from a mildly sloped hill/mountain to the water level on the the west shore, then on the E shore, not far from where you would launch, there is an abrubt 300'-500' high cliff. So the wind isn't blowing across flat land making for lofting potential and since it's a straight onshore launch the chance for something bad to happen on land are pretty good.

I've heard the Potholes State Park would be a lot better and there are some places where the river lines up better, but if you are there for a show I'd leave the gear at home

My .02
Mike S

J.P.

Since 10 Mar 2005
638 Posts

Addicted

PostThu Jul 07, 05 10:14 am     Reply with quote

I could agree more with Mike. I windsurf there as well back in the day & it was always super gusty ass kicking conditons on a pole board!

JP

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: