Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Travel Bags

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Anthony

Since 07 Oct 2008
362 Posts
Salem
Obsessed

CGKA Member

PostFri Oct 14, 16 7:06 am    Travel Bags Reply with quote

In the past I have been able to travel (Alaska Air) with a 155 cm golf bag and a big suitcase. The golf bag fit one twin tip (150cm), three kites and whatever else I can fit into to be less than 50 pounds. I really want to learn the surfboard this trip to LV. I have a 5’11” Slingshot Celeritas I want to take with me. As you can see it will not fit in 155 cm golf bag. It needs a 190cm bag. The bigger the bag, the less I can pack into it before hitting 50 pounds. The other option is a good padded surfboard bag and just eat the cost. How do you travel with surfboards?

Is there a place to rent surfboards in LV that is reasonable?

Thanks
Anthony

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1471 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostFri Oct 14, 16 7:26 am     Reply with quote

I travel with a large roller bag (190) that fits a surf board, 3 kites, wetsuit and weighs 48 pounds.
I fly Alaska to Mexico and Maui a few times per year. They will charge 50 or 75 for the big bag.
To keep the weight under 50 pounds put the heavy stuff like your bar and harness in your carryon or your other checked bag.
Make sure to weigh your bag when you pack - you should be able to keep the large bag under 50. Worst case get a compression bag from Walmart and compress one of your kites and put it in your second bag.

I've also traveled with a surf board bag - in addition to the surf board, stuff the bag with clothes and maybe one kite to pad the board..... and put everything else in a second suitcase.
Even if you check 2 bags.... it's still cheaper than renting.

I've also arrived early for the flight and the agent did not charge me at all. Alaska rocks.

Last edited by ldhr on Fri Oct 14, 16 8:41 am; edited 1 time in total

Freeride Kiter

Since 08 Jul 2011
698 Posts
Alaska / PNW / Baja
Instructor

PostFri Oct 14, 16 8:15 am     Reply with quote

If available use curb side check in also - more often than not no charge for oversized.
Alaska also has an oversized exception for Golf equipment. They have extended that exception to me on kite surf gear as well as my ice hockey goalie gear bag (which is ridiculously large). Depends on the agent and DO NOT count on it if flying multiple airlines.

www.freeridekiting.com

kwalshpc

Since 24 Oct 2014
142 Posts

Stoked

PostFri Oct 14, 16 8:19 am     Reply with quote

Unfortunately, there is no perfect answer to this.

The 5'11" board makes it more of a challenge.

I was in LV 2 years ago and there were no surfboards to rent, I ended up borrowing one from one of the Bro's and paid him in beer.

The prior poster gave good advice - keep the bag under 50 and you have a chance.

I have had really good luck with Southwest - they knew they could charge me but didn't. I have heard Alaska Air is great.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: