Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Heavyweight Rider
Page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
The minnow

Since 26 Jan 2009
395 Posts
argentina
Obsessed

PostSun Sep 25, 16 5:10 pm    your only kite choice; Reply with quote

I have kited for over 10 years and every year with full private sponsorship;
...... I ride as a job as much and as long as cared for; my sponsors never permitted going to hood river I only ride my local spots ; and sleeping in the car sucks;
........ I ride Lead-better beach; California all the month of august since the beginning of time;
then am basically in Buenos Aries the rest in the dirty river< love that dirty water>
...... Man I fought with many companies about their bar and most are complete sale outs putting that garbage PU depowerline ; Can not tell you my feelings to save my grace;
.. What i can tell you if it does not have a stopper your going to hurt your self really bad
;;;; A stopper lets you rest the force of the kite against it ;resting your arm and reserving your strength for later;
;;;;;;My day of crossing 28miles of chanel solo and returning 5miles down fetch are over'
Am the only kitesurfer that did the mission;
for your size i can say you do not want to be committed to holding on to the bar for hours; trust me its no fun; this is your only coice in bars just forget depower and rig a smaller kite;
;;;;;;http://www.slingshotsports.com/2017-Compstick-Guardian#.V-hzSCgrJPY
''''''''''''''''''''http://www.slingshotsports.com/2016-Turbine#.V-h05ygrJPY
and a 17m turbine!!! happy fishing ;;;;;;; P>S> sling shot has great customer service and I want everyone to call kyle at the rider hotline and say your calling because the secret agent said so; if you order a kite am sure kyle will give you secret agent level care just keep telling kyle the secret agent said you would; secret agent gets you a free shirt and hat; secret agent promise good laugh!!!

Last edited by The minnow on Sun Sep 25, 16 5:39 pm; edited 1 time in total

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
The minnow

Since 26 Jan 2009
395 Posts
argentina
Obsessed

PostSun Sep 25, 16 5:34 pm    DP is 4k ready; production is getting closer Reply with quote

I have 4 differant 4k drones new 4k laptop; and going to be very criticle interviewer;

My chalenge to any company that thinks you got a better kite then a turbine send it to me I will pass it around; compare it head to head; that is two toilets monkey boy!
send products gifts; used and unused sex toys to;
David peterson
C/o Precision auto body and painting
57 south fairview av,
Goleta, california, 93117
products can be left with tony in parts department if hand delivered;
All fan mail please dirrect here sighed and print your pictures in the latest maggazine and we will make fun in the next and first kitevlog;
jion me on youtube; https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxJKAhEXiVINLdtXRwVfq4A

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Big "E"

Since 21 Sep 2016
7 Posts
Central Oregon
Kook

PostSun Sep 25, 16 6:59 pm     Reply with quote

That is the information I'm looking for.

Thank you so much

"E"

Aeolus

Since 20 Apr 2010
354 Posts
Gold Beach, OR
OR-SoCo-Aficionado

PostSun Sep 25, 16 11:17 pm     Reply with quote

Secret Agent
Mint

The minnow

Since 26 Jan 2009
395 Posts
argentina
Obsessed

PostMon Sep 26, 16 1:56 am    jonhnz says? Reply with quote

<wide without too much rocker.;>
this guy has no clue... rocker is key i herd these people complaining my boards got way to much rocker they only want to sell a diff errant board;
I rode a 181 litewave and still do tons of rocker; means no pearling;
after fighting for years with one rep he now rides my same board and admits he was wrong; speed counts and ride and board at 35nmph with low rocker impossible;

skideeppow

Since 26 Aug 2011
518 Posts

Addicted

PostMon Sep 26, 16 7:34 am     Reply with quote

Just in case you are looking for a large kite, I have this 17m OR flight.
Let me know.

http://www.nwkite.com/forums/t-40357.html

C Johnson

Since 17 Apr 2009
853 Posts
Seattle
Opinionated

PostMon Sep 26, 16 9:38 am     Reply with quote

I've always thought of the Cabrinha Switchblade as a standard for heavier riders.

I'm 220lbs 6'1" and love riding over powered. I've managed to fold some kites in half before by loading them up too hard but never a Switchblade.

For the wind range you are talking about I would lean towards a 14m Switchblade and a big flat efficient glide/door shaped board.

C Johnson

Since 17 Apr 2009
853 Posts
Seattle
Opinionated

PostMon Sep 26, 16 9:42 am     Reply with quote

Big "E" wrote:
Thanks for the feedback. Before researching and discovering that an extra 100lbs deserves a considerably larger kite I was leaning towards a 15m switchblade. That yellow on gold looks sick. Possibly a good second kite.
I hadn't actually entertained a directional board. I'll look into that, thanks. I was thinking a light wind twin tip, such as a monster long Cabrina Stylus. I sure like the looks and the shape of the Ocean Rodeo LT-138. I read a review on it and a rider had mentioned it would work nicely for a bigger person and handled well in chop.
Other kites I was considering was a " fat lady" or a "Dyno".

Thanks for you time
"E"

This sounds like the right track to be on. I would avoid directional boards until you're comfortable riding a twin tip. I'd also probably say its best to stay away from surfboards since guys who weigh half as much as you are known to break them pretty easily.

Johnb

Since 02 Aug 2010
494 Posts

Obsessed

PostMon Sep 26, 16 10:04 am     Reply with quote

C Johnson wrote:
I've always thought of the Cabrinha Switchblade as a standard for heavier riders.

I'm 220lbs 6'1" and love riding over powered. I've managed to fold some kites in half before by loading them up too hard but never a Switchblade.

For the wind range you are talking about I would lean towards a 14m Switchblade and a big flat efficient glide/door shaped board.

Aren't you a Cabrinha Ambassador?

C Johnson

Since 17 Apr 2009
853 Posts
Seattle
Opinionated

PostMon Sep 26, 16 10:10 am     Reply with quote

yes I am an ambassador for the Seattle area.

Johnb

Since 02 Aug 2010
494 Posts

Obsessed

PostMon Sep 26, 16 10:13 am     Reply with quote

I think your advice to get Cabrinha gear should probably come with a disclaimer that you are a Cabrinha rep.

C Johnson

Since 17 Apr 2009
853 Posts
Seattle
Opinionated

PostMon Sep 26, 16 10:42 am     Reply with quote

thanks for that suggestion.

As far as I know, I'm allowed to make comments on here without giving a disclaimer just like everyone else. Everything I said was my own personal opinion on what I would do if I was 300lbs. Notice I never told him what he should do but offered my opinion on what I would do.

Cabrinha makes a lot of different kites and I would not recommend all of them for a 300lb dude. For instance the Contra would probably have some wing tip folding on him when loaded up hard because it does that to me during overpowered downloops.

Be stoked! Cool

nwslider

Since 29 Jul 2007
3 Posts
Hillsboro, Oregon
Kook

PostMon Sep 26, 16 1:12 pm     Reply with quote

HeavyJ here, I'm 6' 0" and 280, just started kiting about a month ago. To be fair I flew stunt kites for years before kiteboarding was a thing and even got into the C kites 12 years ago or so.
Lot's of great information here, and I recommend a lesson or two as they will be able to put you on lots of different equipment before you buy.
Here is what I have done after my lessons:
- bought a used 6m rally for practicing, not only for flying skills but practice safety, release, water relaunch and simple dragging before I even bought a board. I picked up the rally for less than a new trainer.
- once I, and my mentor felt I was ready for the board, I got a deal on a Ocean Rodeo Mako King as I kite mostly at the coast. Super big, super wide and will grow with you if you want to play with directional boards.
- bought a used SS Rally 14m, 2015. The thing is so easy to fly and depower, yet pulls like a truck, water relaunch is effortless, so different than my first C kites. First time on my board in Siletz Bay, 10-11mph gusting to ~15 and on the first dive it pulled me right up on plane, it was almost too easy.
- I went with a seat harness, so much more comfortable and won't hike up into your armpits with the larger kites and wind us bigger guys will be in.

based on feedback from my buddies, and some shop guys it looks like my next kite will be a SS Rally 11m for 20+ days.

CM

Since 06 Oct 2015
60 Posts

PostTue Sep 27, 16 8:06 am    CO wind Reply with quote

You can't be kiting very often,the wind sux there. I moved to HR I got so tired of it.If you have a local spot with good wind please share; and I hope it isn't Wickiup

Big "E"

Since 21 Sep 2016
7 Posts
Central Oregon
Kook

PostWed Sep 28, 16 5:13 pm     Reply with quote

I would like to thank everyone who took time to share there opinion on gear for an old yeti.

CM
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 16 8:06 am Post subject: CO wind
You can't be kiting very often,the wind sux there. I moved to HR I got so tired of it.If you have a local spot with good wind please share; and I hope it isn't Wickiup

I will let you know how it goes CM. I have an older 24' pontoon boat I plan on using to get me to some secluded areas of Prinville reservoir. Locals here in Prinville will tell you that " Pville res. is either to hot or to fu#%*%# windy". This time of year as it gets lower there is a lot of sandy beaches. I was up there last Sunday and back behind the islands and there was a picture perfect huge crescent shaped sandy beach. I will take a picture this weekend. I looked on ikitesurf and there is three points of reference for wind. neither of which are in that canyon. A relatively windy day for Prineville seemed to be 20mph. I can tell you from a boaters perspective that the resivior is higher and windier than in town. Alge wise the lake looks really good this year.
If anyone has kited on Pville res. Please share.
Hence I feel a 17m turbine is in my future
"E"

CM

Since 06 Oct 2015
60 Posts

PostThu Sep 29, 16 8:12 am    CO wind Reply with quote

Big E, hey that's cool you have a pontoon boat to chase the wind,big +. Besides Wickiup,I heard Cultus Lake is a go to Spot. KIte-Line Michael said Haystack is also a spot. I went there last year,algae was terrible. Good Luck with Prineville and the Turbine. Let me know how it goes. I'll be in CO for a week from 10/15 if you want a kite buddy, or I know a guy in Bend you can contact: Mike Rich, good kiter. Craig

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2057 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostThu Sep 29, 16 8:24 am     Reply with quote

CM: It sounds to me like a foil is in your future with your weight and wind strength in the bodies of water you plan on riding (Central Or lakes).

The one cool thing about your weight, is where ever you go, and when the wind is strong enough for you to ride a 9-12m kite, you're always going to get big waves to ride (if at a wave or swell spot).

Eastern Gorge will become your playground. . .especially during the Spring (crazy strong winds); any kind of board.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: