Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

baja

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
honda1

Since 11 Sep 2013
183 Posts

Stoked

PostFri Sep 16, 16 2:48 am    baja Reply with quote

I was planning on a La Ventana trip around the first of the year. Was hoping to travel down there with someone who knows the ropes or at least go with another kiter. Wind in January is typically money every time. If interested shoot me a pm.

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostFri Sep 16, 16 4:20 am     Reply with quote

I plan on leaving Tacoma on December 27th, cross at San Isidro New Years morning, first night in Guerrero Negro, January 2nd ETA La Ventana around dark. I try never to drive at night, but this run usually puts me at an hour or two of night driving as we pull into Guerrero Negro. These are around 10 hour days. It's my 6th year driving Mexico.
The border crossing is super easy and simple. The FMM (180 visa) office is very modern and quick, right there as you first cross over. There's maybe 5-6 military inspections which "usually" go OK.
I could go on for hours about the f*k'd up town of Ciudad Constitution (one hour north of La Paz). Police corruption, mordida. Don't stop for gas, coffee, snacks, nada... and never drive over 12mph in this sh*hole.

unbob

Since 31 Aug 2008
260 Posts
'da Gorge/LaV
Obsessed

PostSun Sep 18, 16 11:38 am     Reply with quote

wylieflyote wrote:
I could go on for hours about the f*k'd up town of Ciudad Constitution (one hour north of La Paz). Police corruption, mordida. Don't stop for gas, coffee, snacks, nada... and never drive over 12mph in this sh*hole.
Kip, absolutely agree the CC cops are dirtbags. I've heard too many horror stories over the years (including yours) to think otherwise.

However, FYI for hapless Baja noobs, it is possible to drive through CC without getting nailed. I've passed through CC 20+ times since 2003 and never had a problem. Maybe just dumb luck, maybe I'm too scary looking, who knows, etc. So, yes, be fearful and super cautious but assume you'll be A-OK. Buena suerte to all!

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostSun Sep 18, 16 1:59 pm     Reply with quote

unbob wrote:
So, yes, be fearful and super cautious but assume you'll be A-OK. Buena suerte to all!

I did probably sound a bit like an anti-baja frantic. Not meaning to scare anyone off... Just saying for me from now on it's 10kph under the posted speed, and stop at every intersection lighted or not.

Tidesofthesky

Since 30 Aug 2016
61 Posts
Salem, OR

PostWed Sep 21, 16 11:00 am     Reply with quote

We are also hoping to take a trip down to La Ventana at some point before April. Gotta break up the cold weather with a little sun.

My family went down to Mulege when I was in High School. Beautiful area. We stopped in Guerrero Negro and went out on the boats to see the whales. Can't wait to make it back down that way. I remember seeing some pretty huge cacti on the road down, too.

deminimis

Since 15 Jul 2014
326 Posts
On the Rocks
Obsessed

PostWed Sep 21, 16 12:32 pm     Reply with quote

Tidesofthesky wrote:
We are also hoping to take a trip down to La Ventana at some point before April. Gotta break up the cold weather with a little sun.

My family went down to Mulege when I was in High School. Beautiful area. We stopped in Guerrero Negro and went out on the boats to see the whales. Can't wait to make it back down that way. I remember seeing some pretty huge cacti on the road down, too.

Rolling down for Oregon Spring Break +1 week on either side of Spring Break (I can't recall which week).

lewmt

Since 04 Aug 2010
182 Posts
MT
Stoked

PostSun Sep 25, 16 11:50 am     Reply with quote

"I could go on for hours about the f*k'd up town of Ciudad Constitution (one hour north of La Paz)"

I'm heading to Baja in Oct(Pac side) and think I'll have to drive thru C. Constitution. I have read your warnings and will heed them well .... but ... what is the best way to deal with a stop there? The last time I was in a rental car in MX it had a sticker on the back that said RENTAL in very obvious view - which makes me think its like a bright neon "F**% With Me" sign. Is there a good way to deal with the obvious extortion which I'd be subject to- even if I'm doing everything right? How much do I offer? What do I do to avoid making things worse? I don't speak spanish hardly at all.

knotwindy

Since 25 Sep 2011
598 Posts

Addicted

PostSun Sep 25, 16 12:35 pm     Reply with quote

Lots of options, few good ones. First, yes the rental car is a give away to the policia and the rental cars in southern baja also have special license plates so removing the sticker won't help. Have a copy of your drivers license to give to the cop as they will sometimes take yours to make you follow them and you do not always end up at the station. With a copy you can just leave the scene. They have a new trick now where if you are parked they will remove your plates from the car so we use one way bolts or grind the heads off so they can not be removed easily. This might be overkill if you are not going to stop there and in a rental. Not speaking Spanish is not really an issue, you want to just say I don't understand a lot when they speak to you in Spanish. Just keep playing the dumb gringo card. Most of the time they will eventually speak to you in English and you can still say I don't understand and act stupid or ask how much will it cost if we go to the station and then how much will icost if you take it to the station for me? Be polite and act stupid, if you drag it out long enough they get tired of you and want to stop other people who will pay more easily so the price can go down a lot. Drive slow, stop at every intersection except in La Paz where the locals see stop signs as suggestions and do not stop. If you do, be on the far right and keep an eye on your rear view mirror as they really do not stop, ever. Even doing everything right you will probably stil get a DWG, driving while gringo. Pay and move on, it is still cheap fun.

honda1

Since 11 Sep 2013
183 Posts

Stoked

PostSun Sep 25, 16 3:56 pm    here I come Reply with quote

Tickets and place to stay all arranged. Going down the first week of January. Looking forward to getting the La Ventana stoke on.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: