Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Gamechanger ?
Page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Matt V

Since 26 Oct 2014
462 Posts
Summer- OR Coast, Winter - My van near good snow
Explosive Diarrhea

PostFri Aug 26, 16 7:23 pm     Reply with quote

Kite high with a bit of pull is the way to learn to jibe and the sure bet for completing the jibe when powered or overpowered. This is how I learned it, this is how everyone should learn it. It is the most usefull jibe. It just does not always keep you out of the water when underpowered. Please keep in mind that I am using a quad finned setup and it redirects while hiked out much better than a tri-fin board

Other jibes I use are (my terms):
the pivot jibe - for jibing in shalow water with no room to go downwind (or you would wind up on the beach eating sand)
uploop jibe - to untwist lines on the outside while still maintaining power in a small kite
jump jibe - just a boost wile changing to toeside in mid air so you land toeside and going the other direction, then you switch feet on the new tack - use this when getting a "less than wanted" boost from a wave when you are going out and you spot one while up in the air right behind it that you want to ride it in.

The low downloop jibe is best applied when underpowered. But you can do it on too big of a kite too if you run at the kite (loose upwind progress) thus negating some wind speed. This effectively reduces the apparent wind at the kite allowing you to keep from getting yanked too hard. But at the same time you are maintaining apparent wind with the sail flip (downloop of the kite) by keeping up the board speed. Another way to think of it is that you are allowing yourself to be "pre-yanked" instead of "post-yanked"by the kite.

Why would you do this? Eventually you will be able to change directions while holding much more speed and losing less upwind progress. This allows more apparent wind to remain in the kite when you jibe, and thus keep a smaller kite more powered. And even though you loose a bit of upwind on the turn, you make that upwind up instantly as you come into the new tack with tons of speed to load up your fins or edge. Think of it as "Alpha GPS speed sailing" in kiting.

http://www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Windsurfing/Gps/GPS-Team-Alpha-Racing-Explained/

But my redneck Nebraskan a-s came across it while just trying to do speed runs. It was helping me get more speed runs in a given time because it returned me to my spot quicker. I actually gave my GT-31 GPS file to a windsurfer friend to tell me what the software said I was hitting for a 10second speed run. He did not care about the 10second result since I was cheating with my board behind a dike and in flat water with my kite up in high winds. He just emailed me back that my Alpha speed was as good as his without even trying for it.

My favorite thing about the downloop jibe? - you get some G's going around that corner that fast with that much kite power.

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostSat Aug 27, 16 6:12 am     Reply with quote

Matt,
try this "trick" for downloop transition....
lets say you're kiting towards Washington, port reach, left hand forward.
when you're ready to jibe - reach under the bar with your right hand and grab the bar on the left side. with an underhand grip.
pull it down and across - downlooping the kite and the bar at the same time.
this allows you to transition and loop the kite without having to let go. your right hand is now correctly positioned on the bar in the lead on a starboard reach.
in effect - your're looping the bar and the kite at the same time.
I discovered this a few years ago and it makes for real smooth downloop transitions.

Matt V

Since 26 Oct 2014
462 Posts
Summer- OR Coast, Winter - My van near good snow
Explosive Diarrhea

PostSat Aug 27, 16 8:10 am     Reply with quote

ldhr wrote:
Matt,
try this "trick" for downloop transition....
lets say you're kiting towards Washington, port reach, left hand forward.
when you're ready to jibe - reach under the bar with your right hand and grab the bar on the left side. with an underhand grip.
pull it down and across - downlooping the kite and the bar at the same time.
this allows you to transition and loop the kite without having to let go. your right hand is now correctly positioned on the bar in the lead on a starboard reach.
in effect - your're looping the bar and the kite at the same time.
I discovered this a few years ago and it makes for real smooth downloop transitions.

Will do! That is a great idea that I have never really tried. That should add some speed to the transition at a certain spot on the coast where it could be a benefit. Gotta love the tips you get here!

I have thought about "pre-spinning" then bar before a backroll downloop transition so I have the option of a few more loops in the same direction when coming out of the other side. But I have never really tried that either.

Sella

Since 21 Apr 2007
1794 Posts
Doin' The Dalles
FLY'IN HIGH PIE GUY

PostFri Sep 09, 16 8:46 am     Reply with quote

Houston we have a trend......another adjustable rear line bar from Ocean Rodeo hits the market. No disassembly required for cleaning and clicker seems a bit more accessible compared to the North bar. (?)

Hope to read more non-industry rider feedback as they get time on the water with this new trim option.

https://www.facebook.com/iksurfmag/videos/10154487940883996/

Johnb

Since 02 Aug 2010
494 Posts

Obsessed

PostFri Sep 09, 16 10:18 am     Reply with quote

It will be interesting to see how the open design works when packed with snow/ice.

dan.at.duotone

Since 15 Apr 2010
31 Posts
Gorge

PostTue Sep 20, 16 10:02 am     Reply with quote

Sorry, just seeing this. Dunno when the wind will come back and I know it's late in the season but I've got two of these Click bars (one almost-final proto and one production) in my demo quiver. If anyone wants to give one a try just drop me a PM and I'll try to sort it out with you.

On another note if anyone has any questions you're welcome to post it here or hit me with a PM.

For the record, I agree that 'gamechanger' is marketing hyperbole, however it is a pretty cool bar and I do find that I ride differently (I adjust the depower way more often) than on the regular bar. The auto-untwisting of the center lines is definitely my favorite part of the bar.

-Dan

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostTue Sep 20, 16 11:42 am     Reply with quote

I've been paying a little more attention to the different bar options on the market these days. Seems as if there have been a lot of efforts towards improvements.

Cabrina, North, Ocean Rodeo.

These are my personal thoughts at this time in my review of their literature.

Features I like with some of the new bars:

* PU tube - should wear better than my current unprotected rope bars.

* Clean - Clean is good (assuming the depower slack is not bothering your site of view)

* Easy to adjust depower (actually this is on my wife's want list, personally I am okay with my current hard to pull solution)

* Easy access to manually untwist my lines. In the event the auto-untwist feature fails (which seems to happen more over time) my current bar requires me to reach way up on the bar to manually untwist my lines. This is a major pain. Manually being able to untwist my lines down by the chicken loop would be great.

Features I require before purchasing a bar:
1) Long throw
2) Stopper Ball/Stopper Solution

I feel the mixture of the above two items will accommodate all riders. In gorge conditions a lot of throw is helpful. People with short arms can simply utilize the stopper ball to reduce the throw. Also, I occasionally ride with a stopper ball while cruising upwind or carrying a board.

3) Price - The bar should not cost as much as a kite. I keep a bar with every kite I own so I have to buy a lot of bars. Even if a bar meets all my other requirements, price could be the single reason I don't buy.

4) Ability to pull any single line for a self rescue. I previously stated my reasons regarding my opinion for this as a requirement.

Features I like:

1) Front line strength - SS uses 800 lbs front lines. I don't know what other vendors utilize. I have never broken a front line, thus I feel that is the standard to meet. This is something I could change out on my own if required, so not a requirement.

2) O-Shit Loops - I previously stated why I like.

Features I don't care about:

* cool gadgets to adjust my depower (Twist, Click, Pull... I don't care as long as it works)

Items that concern me:

* Wear and tear over time (salt, sand, seaweed - how will they impact a bar?)

* Ability to identify a potential failure before the failure occurs, for example I can visually see when I need to replace my depower ropes on my current bars.

Vendor Notes:
1) North lists a long throw as a feature
2) Ocean Rodeo has a stopper ball / Stopper system

Verdict:
It appears to me that serious strides are taking place in the kite bar market. I am hoping that someone develops a bar that accounts for all of my requirements and preferred features at a price that is within my price range.... I just haven't seen that bar .... YET!

knotwindy

Since 25 Sep 2011
598 Posts

Addicted

PostTue Sep 20, 16 11:55 am     Reply with quote

John, it is probably going to be a mix and match and build your own for some time yet
But it is doable with all the bits and pieces out there to get your perfect bar built cheaply.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: