Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

camera suggestions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
hnltopdx

Since 15 Oct 2015
7 Posts
Portland
Kook

PostTue Aug 09, 16 2:38 pm    camera suggestions Reply with quote

Anyone have advice for choosing a kiting video camera?
There is the gopro hero4 ($400-500) the session ($200) and also now the revl ($400), which I'm not sure is available yet. The session is very small and waterproof without a case, so I'm leaning towards that, but someone told me it's a little cumbersome to set up. Anyone with experience with these things? Thanks.

hnltopdx

Since 15 Oct 2015
7 Posts
Portland
Kook

PostWed Aug 10, 16 8:08 am     Reply with quote

Any advice on these things is appreciated...

stringy

Since 23 Jun 2006
1724 Posts
vancouver
XTreme Poster

PostWed Aug 10, 16 8:17 am     Reply with quote

revl will be a game changer but you will have to wait until december for this piece of technology.
the hero4 is still the standard, but yes you still will have issues with fogging of the lens, having to upgrade your computer to handle the production, etc.
the session is a great alternative as its very small, easy to mount and is basically the weight of the hero 4 without the housing.
I have a session and yeah its a little hard to understand the UI but after playing around with it you can get it to do what you want. also consider using the gopro app on a smartphone with this camera, making it much easier to do what you want it to do. the big disadvantage of the session (other than the image and video quality is subpar compared to the hero4) is you will need to use the original line mount to make it work.

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostWed Aug 10, 16 8:47 am     Reply with quote

stringy wrote:
revl will be a game changer but you will have to wait until december for this piece of technology.
the hero4 is still the standard, but yes you still will have issues with fogging of the lens, having to upgrade your computer to handle the production, etc.
the session is a great alternative as its very small, easy to mount and is basically the weight of the hero 4 without the housing.
I have a session and yeah its a little hard to understand the UI but after playing around with it you can get it to do what you want. also consider using the gopro app on a smartphone with this camera, making it much easier to do what you want it to do. the big disadvantage of the session (other than the image and video quality is subpar compared to the hero4) is you will need to use the original line mount to make it work.

Whenever I have tried stabilizer filters it appears to me that the movie becomes too blurry. Perhaps I am using the wrong software...

The Revl is introducing a built in motor to help adjust for motion. This sounds very cool if it works...

hnltopdx

Since 15 Oct 2015
7 Posts
Portland
Kook

PostWed Aug 10, 16 1:57 pm     Reply with quote

Stringy: the original line mount- can you explain this? I have heard the camrig mount is the way to go. Are you saying the one for the session is not as good as for the hero4?

Mounting on the leading edge seems like a good way to go since I assume less likely to get caught in a jam. Thoughts?

Thanks for the help.

avery

Since 08 Sep 2016
2 Posts

PostMon Sep 19, 16 7:09 pm     Reply with quote

Looking at the Canon EOS and Nikon D type of cameras

avery

Since 08 Sep 2016
2 Posts

PostMon Sep 19, 16 7:10 pm     Reply with quote

camera advice http://thedigitalcamera.net/canon-eos-70d-vs-80d-vs-nikon-d7200-whats-the-difference/

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: