Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

State Patrol Alert

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
moondog

Since 15 Aug 2007
698 Posts
white salmon
Addicted

CGKA Member

PostWed Sep 14, 16 4:29 pm    State Patrol Alert Reply with quote

It's a good thing! CGKA has been working for a year to get the speed limit reduced at the Wunderbar. This June we accomplished this feat with a 50 reduction to 40 mph speed limit from the HR bridge to the Underwood cutoff. Semi's and various other vehicles have been ignoring the signage. I requested a "Your speed is X" solar sign but the cost was too high. Instead they said they would increase State Patrol coverage in the area. Today I saw 2 State Patrolmen just west of the Underwood cutoff pull over 10 cars and semi"s in just under an hour. Just a heads up for your trip to the bar!

kassak

Since 18 May 2010
107 Posts

Stoked

PostWed Sep 14, 16 9:11 pm     Reply with quote

I think they were also looking for these four.

They are wanted for dancing wunderbar

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OBXRJgSd-aU

Moonbase

Since 03 Aug 2015
17 Posts
Portland

PostThu Sep 15, 16 6:05 am     Reply with quote

Oh wonderful. I'm so glad. Physics has shown that getting hit by a semi at 40 drastically reduces the amount of pieces a human breaks into. Always love more staties on patrol. Rolling Eyes

Occupied Columbia

Since 12 Nov 2011
376 Posts
Columbia City
Obsessed

PostThu Sep 15, 16 7:52 am     Reply with quote

more time looking at speedometer than looking at the road.

moondog

Since 15 Aug 2007
698 Posts
white salmon
Addicted

CGKA Member

PostThu Sep 15, 16 9:13 am     Reply with quote

Sure are a lot of cynics on this site!

apctjb

Since 19 Aug 2007
427 Posts

Obsessed

PostThu Sep 15, 16 8:04 pm     Reply with quote

Too many close calls this past summer. People backing in and east eastbound semi's barely able to stop in time. You don't want to be walking to the launch site when it happens..

A semi traveling at 55mph takes 2X the distance to stop than one traveling 40 mph. All it will take for BNSF or WA DOT to shut down parking along SR-14 at the Wunderbar is one serious accident and then you can kiss launching at the WS goodbye.

Thanks Moondog for your efforts to make Wunderbar a safer place to park & kite.

gnac

Since 05 Sep 2014
66 Posts
Husum

PostThu Sep 15, 16 9:44 pm     Reply with quote

apctjb wrote:

Thanks Moondog for your efforts to make Wunderbar a safer place to park & kite.

Agreed! i don't know you personally moondog and i didn't know you played a part in that, but Thanks!

The drop to forty has been a long time coming. Not just for the wunderbar but also for folks pulling out of the 141 cut. Numerous nasty accidents there over the years. Sure, forty doesn't resolve you of your need to be careful and pay attention but it does give you a fighting chance.

h2olm

Since 07 Jun 2006
124 Posts

Stoked

PostFri Sep 16, 16 9:14 am     Reply with quote

Yes yes, thanks moondog and all involved.
I just have to share this experience with you all since it has been upsetting me all season. I was at said WB getting ready. I see a van coming from the west bound lane of Hwy 14 turn in head first crossing the east bound lane. Then, the van backs out! The east bound traffic comes to screetchiing hault swerving in to the On COMING traffic! Of course all of the drivers are irate and yelling as they pass by. I wondered what they must think of us kiters at that time. The plate was not from OR or WA. The van came all the way from the deep south! I have seen this from kiters, fishermen, and tourists too.
Of course when I said something, I got the F.O. reply. I hope the slower speed will help the situation there.

Sella

Since 21 Apr 2007
1794 Posts
Doin' The Dalles
FLY'IN HIGH PIE GUY

PostFri Sep 16, 16 9:46 am     Reply with quote

Thank you for the effort Moondog! Thumb's Up Considering the Cook-Underwood and Hwy 14 intersections book-end the parking area this is a welcomed change because it is/was a bit of a clutch burner to get out of that place clean and safe.

Mike D

Since 28 Apr 2011
197 Posts
Hood River
Stoked

PostFri Sep 16, 16 3:39 pm    Haters gonna hate Reply with quote

Thanks Moondog!

wannabekiter

Since 14 May 2015
269 Posts
Hood river
Obsessed

PostSat Sep 17, 16 5:11 pm    Good job Reply with quote

Yes it was long over due. I love how people tail gate me thru there. I want a sign flashing in the back window of my car "speed limit 40"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: