Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Arlington

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostWed Aug 10, 16 12:14 pm    Arlington Reply with quote

In my opinion the site that has HUGE potential is Arlington.

Someone with connections to the port should suggest they look into the following:

- Concrete Stairs extending down the last few steps into the river (North side)

- Cable Park in the nice protected swim zone

- Shuttled downwinders from their (failed) terminal location (I think the Irrigon exit) (Just west of the buoy you ride up to from 3 mile).

They could charge for parking and shuttle rides.

It could potentially turn that place into a world renowned kite destination overnight.

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostWed Aug 10, 16 12:16 pm     Reply with quote

ooops hit the wrong button...

I meant for this to be under the "More launches needed" thread

luke

Since 06 Jul 2005
399 Posts

Obsessed

PostWed Aug 10, 16 12:40 pm     Reply with quote

The CGKA has been working with the Port of Arlington for 5 years to improve kite access. The Port recognizes the benefit to lots of kiters showing up in town and has spent thousands (est. $10,000) of their dollars on kite specific projects to date. There is a master plan on the table that includes some of the projects mentioned above. It is a big chunk of money to pull it off. Until they find/allocate those funds, smaller but still important kite-related projects are getting done.

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostWed Aug 10, 16 12:58 pm     Reply with quote

luke wrote:
The CGKA has been working with the Port of Arlington for 5 years to improve kite access. The Port recognizes the benefit to lots of kiters showing up in town and has spent thousands (est. $10,000) of their dollars on kite specific projects to date. There is a master plan on the table that includes some of the projects mentioned above. It is a big chunk of money to pull it off. Until they find/allocate those funds, smaller but still important kite-related projects are getting done.

Luke,

Good to know.

Do you know where can I read more about CGKA's involvement with such projects. To be honest I only thought CGKA focused on HR activities. I would like to become more informed about their projects in the eastern gorge region.

west

Since 09 Oct 2008
136 Posts
Lake Michigan
Stoked

PostWed Aug 10, 16 1:20 pm     Reply with quote

The BIG A.....steepest swells on the river when it's rocking.....sunset drive back unrivaled!

HRnico

Since 22 Mar 2008
260 Posts
Da Hood
Obsessed

PostThu Aug 11, 16 5:15 pm    Oh Yaa Reply with quote

Love Rosey/ Arlington. Would like to kite from South side, stay in a hotel and eat at a reasturant. +++

markamcclure

Since 20 May 2011
165 Posts
Portland, OR
Stoked

PostFri Aug 12, 16 10:52 am     Reply with quote

I have bad memories of my windsurfer hitting the rocks at the Arlington launch many years ago. Do you think It would be a safe launch for kiting? Those are some great swells!

knotwindy

Since 25 Sep 2011
598 Posts

Addicted

PostFri Aug 12, 16 12:19 pm     Reply with quote

No it is very dangerous and difficult and no one should ever launch a kite there. You will surely die a horrible and painful death. However, if you tell us when you are going we can video it Rolling Eyes Shocked Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: