Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

2015 9 mtr rpm problem!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Clyde S. Dale

Since 23 Jul 2016
55 Posts

PostSat Jul 23, 16 6:21 am    2015 9 mtr rpm problem! Reply with quote

Signed up to site after years of snooping! (I'm a right coaster) need some feedback from those in the land of slingshot! Info - 215 lbs,riding rpms since 2011, currently on 2014 10m, 12m,2011 8m .No problems with those kites. New to me (kite looks new) 2015 9m .It bending at the attachment point of bridal during loops. If I turn edging hard with downloop it will start to deform,during a simple kiteloop transition it bends and stalls enough to ruin transition.Seems slow to turn compared to my 10m.Regular loops will leave me dead in the air as the kite bends at the bridal attachment point and stalls as I drop like a dead duck(ouch) Wind was in upper 20's to mid 30's. Only my 2nd time on kite,pumped rock hard maybe 10-12?Was using 20m lines.Bungee bridal problems ? I usually loop in the gusts,I was praying for a lull to get up the courage to loop to help diagnose the issue! Any insight much appreciated.Thanks

Matt V

Since 26 Oct 2014
462 Posts
Summer- OR Coast, Winter - My van near good snow
Explosive Diarrhea

PostSun Jul 24, 16 9:36 am     Reply with quote

I do not know the intricacies of RPM's, but certain wind conditions seem to buckle my Best Kahoona's.

This came to a head when I replaced a front line section on my bar recently. The problem was I did not pre stretch this section. It wound up stretching over the first few sessions. Then I started having the buckling problem. Again, any kite will buckle when the wind on the blue side of the kite is NW and the wind on the red side of the kite is WSW. But this time was more sever than I had ever had happen before.

But the kites still flew.

My conclusion -

The front lines stretched making the back lines too short. For those of you who kite on regular size kites and are not efficient enough to make a smaller kite work, you would have easily noticed this. But I ride 1.5 - 2 meters smaller than other kiters who are lighter than me. So I have pretty good efficiency. This made me just use an over sheeted (back lines too short same as front lines too long) kite.

When over sheeted, the tips will buckle easily in a loop, underflated or not.

My solution -
I depowered the kite more by shortening the front line adjustment. Most of the buckling went away, and I slowly changed my timing to get back to how I was flying the kite before the line stretch had changed my flying timing.

Later I put pigtails on the rear lines to lengthen them and give me some more depower on the adjustment.

So my suggestion would to be to go up to the next size kite and power it up less.

Sorry for not being able to answer RPM specific.

Clyde S. Dale

Since 23 Jul 2016
55 Posts

PostMon Jul 25, 16 4:43 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks. Any rpm users with insight or who to contact that's in the know?

jeremy

Since 18 Aug 2006
273 Posts
Manzo & HR
Obsessed

PostMon Jul 25, 16 6:56 pm     Reply with quote

I've owned/flown 2009, 2011, 2012, and 2014 RPMs. I never experienced wingtip buckling with any of them. They are very solid and turn great. Unfortunately, no experience with the 2015s.

I do have this problem with my 2010 Caution Mayhems big-time, the wing-tip buckles frequently on me. More so on days with gusty wind or after I dunk the kite and it's more floppy / has less pressure.

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostMon Jul 25, 16 8:35 pm     Reply with quote

You might want to check the sewing on all the supports.

I recently had an 8m rpm I have flown and loved for years start to act funky during a session. One of the wingtips was folding over when I powered up the kite (kind of like a Rally or Turbine will do sometimes... but not usually the RPMs). I thought I must be losing air as the kite must be soft.

When I finished my session I was surprised to find the kite was rock hard. No air leaks.

Upon further inspection I found one of the wingtip handles on the trailing edge (the handles you can hang onto when self rescuing) had come apart. I always figured those handles were only for self rescue but I now believe they are an important part of the structure of the kite.

eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1803 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostMon Jul 25, 16 9:49 pm     Reply with quote

I've flown RPM's every year since 2009, and owned a quiver of 2015's last season. I have never experienced wing tip folding even on the gustiest, most over/under powered sessions the Gorge can serve up on any RPM in any size. Something is funky for sure. Call the SS rider hotline.

Eric

A.K.

Since 01 Jul 2006
190 Posts

Stoked

PostTue Jul 26, 16 12:56 am     Reply with quote

RPMs are known to be one of the greatest looping kites of all time.... And the rock solid design has hardly changed since inception.

I heard the pulleys were going to be eliminated for a more direct feel. But I have not had a chance to ride the most current year.

Clyde S. Dale

Since 23 Jul 2016
55 Posts

PostTue Jul 26, 16 3:04 am     Reply with quote

Thanks all. I'll examine the kite closely,this is such an odd issue!,and these kites have been my favorite kites of all time! Even overpowered my 2014 10 will sometimes flutter or if I screw up and the kite loops when I'm in the the water it will distort for a moment but at 215 lbs that's to be expected. Wish I had some gopro footage,it's hard to remember exactly where it was bending exactly,thanks again,no wind here for a while so I have to wait a while to sort it out.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: