Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Newb question on spots

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Wooddog395

Since 26 Jun 2016
11 Posts

PostSun Jun 26, 16 10:19 am    Newb question on spots Reply with quote

Hey all new to kite boarding. Just completed classes a jones. Wondering good beginner spots closet to Vancouver area. I've researched and it seems SI jones and event site are the big ones any thing else for a newb. Thanks.

Jonpnw

Since 22 Jul 2010
1322 Posts
Pacific Northwest
XTreme Poster

PostSun Jun 26, 16 10:40 am    Woodland Reply with quote

From Vancouver head up I-5 to exit 21 to dike road and look for Martins Bar . It can get some pretty good wind if you have some larger kites .

Join the Columbia Gorge Water Sports Association. http://gorgewindsurfing.org/

Joshiebaby

Since 14 Oct 2007
569 Posts
Vancouver, WA
Addicted

PostSun Jun 26, 16 10:44 am     Reply with quote

Second the above. I learned to kite while living in Vancouver and SI was great--when it delivered. But it takes FOREVER to drive there from Vancouver and going up I-5 is the way to go. On a RARE Occasion you can make Frenchman's bar work, but you'll get skunked there a lot.

If you are coming from Vancouver either bite the bullet (in drive time) and head down the gorge for a sure or roll the dice and go north on I5. Good luck!

A.K.

Since 01 Jul 2006
190 Posts

Stoked

PostSun Jun 26, 16 12:21 pm     Reply with quote

People underestimate the time it takes to drive to Jones and or Sauvies. From Vancouver you can probably get to Hood River just as quickly.

Wooddog395

Since 26 Jun 2016
11 Posts

PostSun Jun 26, 16 1:24 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks guys. Yea I no the time get be SI and jones as well as hood that is why I'm asking if there is any closer beach newb area that is easy to launch an practice.

bobgatpdx

Since 04 Oct 2008
218 Posts

Stoked

PostSun Jun 26, 16 7:56 pm     Reply with quote

Hard to beat Jones for learning. My buddy and I learned last summer.
Jones has plenty of room and low crowd factor.
Event Site is pretty hectic and crowded.
Lyle was great for us, but sounds like access is a problem this year.
I would guess that Prescott or Woodland might work for days like today when Sauvie is blowing. Bunch of folks at Sauvie today. I was nicely powered on my 12m.
- Bob

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostSun Jun 26, 16 8:42 pm     Reply with quote

A.K. wrote:
People underestimate the time it takes to drive to Jones and or Sauvies. From Vancouver you can probably get to Hood River just as quickly.

True, but time to actually getting on the water is shorter going to Jones. You can drive right to the water and rig right beside your car. (Assuming you have a 4x4.)

Matt V

Since 26 Oct 2014
462 Posts
Summer- OR Coast, Winter - My van near good snow
Explosive Diarrhea

PostMon Jun 27, 16 8:44 am     Reply with quote

For riding in good to fluky winds, Jones has it all. If you master that spot, the only skills left to work on will be tight launches. And tight launch skills are best tackled much later in a kiters experience.

D-Krep It Kiter

Since 18 Jul 2011
417 Posts

Obsessed

PostMon Jun 27, 16 9:15 am     Reply with quote

Matt V wrote:
... the only skills left to work on will be tight launches. And tight launch skills are best tackled much later in a kiters experience.

That's it exactly. Unfortunately, most spots in the Gorge area are "point" launches, so as Matt suggests, cutting your teeth at Jone's before stepping up to more challenging launches is good idea. When you can stay upwind and feel you're ready to try a tighter spot where you'll need to be able to stay upwind in order to return to the launch point, familiarize yourself with exit points upwind, and downwind from the launch and on both sides of the river. If something goes wrong and you can't return to home base, you'll feel a lot better knowing where some potential exit points are rather than just drifting and praying for a beach. You don't want to thrash yourself and kite through blackberry bushes only to realize afterwards that there was a walk-out exit 100ft further along the river.

bobgatpdx

Since 04 Oct 2008
218 Posts

Stoked

PostMon Jun 27, 16 10:22 am     Reply with quote

One thing new kiters should definitely practice is lots of launching and landings so you can handle tight spots. It's a good thing to do when there isn't quite enough wind to get going. Also really good to practice self launching and landing (with a spotter) for those times where you may not have any company. I'm on my 2nd season of kiting and after working on these skills down in SoCal this winter, I had no problem yesterday at Sauvies where the kites were stacked like cord wood and there were beachgoers all around us.
- Bob

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: