Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Rufus 9/5 launch and swell

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostSun Sep 06, 15 9:09 pm    Rufus 9/5 launch and swell Reply with quote

Hey all,

I put together a little youtube video of my session yesterday at rufus. I wanted to demonstrate one of the methods I use in an attempt of reducing congestion in the launch zone. Not to say this is the best method, so if others have ideas... throw them out.

The video also shows some of the highlights of swell yesterday.

I wouldn't classify yesterday as epic.... But it sure was fun!

check out https://youtu.be/l-3Qo8k615U

TheWall.png 

kwalshpc

Since 24 Oct 2014
142 Posts

Stoked

PostMon Sep 07, 15 6:40 am    Rufus Launch Reply with quote

Nice work - hopefully enough people watch it so it isn't such a Sh*& show out there

Marcp

Since 24 May 2010
32 Posts

PostMon Sep 07, 15 8:41 am     Reply with quote

Nice! The other 50% of the equation is to remove your kite from the launch area when you come in.

jonah

Since 20 Jul 2006
169 Posts
Hood River
Stoked

PostMon Sep 07, 15 8:42 am     Reply with quote

Great system, John!

Generally it seems like people do a good job staying out of each other's way, but for some reason a few people feel that leaving kites on the most-downwind area of the spit (East-most sandy area or the rock outcropping) is somehow "out of the way" because it's not directly in the launch runway?

I'd argue that it's unsafe for anything or anyone to be downwind of the launchers and the gear also tends to get caught while the launcher is having their kite and lines pulled out to the end of the spit (the lines being blown down wind)

If I could make one request it would be to ask everyone to please move their kites further up-wind (as close to the bushes as possible, or up-hill on the rocks).

Of course brief kites in all places on the spit during launch and land are understandable, but leaving anything there for more than a few minutes seems to cause congestion.

Sella

Since 21 Apr 2007
1794 Posts
Doin' The Dalles
FLY'IN HIGH PIE GUY

PostMon Sep 07, 15 10:16 am     Reply with quote

Fun vid John! Such a great day and finally a little bit of that sweet tasty swell to gorge upon. Smile

C Johnson

Since 17 Apr 2009
853 Posts
Seattle
Opinionated

PostTue Sep 08, 15 1:46 pm     Reply with quote

man I totally did that wrong.

Thanks for sharing. I'll try not to be "that guy" next time. Embarassed Smile

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostTue Sep 08, 15 3:15 pm     Reply with quote

I like your methods, great video and very informative. But here is why you had launch success:
Smile

betolauncher.JPG 

Cannon

Since 13 Sep 2010
72 Posts

PostTue Sep 08, 15 4:23 pm     Reply with quote

I bet there is a 50/50 success that the lines won't be crossed after unwinding, me included. I took Nat's advice from a recent post and wind the lines to the side of the kite and been 100% since. Thanks! Very Happy

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostWed Sep 09, 15 2:17 pm     Reply with quote

Cannon wrote:
I bet there is a 50/50 success that the lines won't be crossed after unwinding, me included. I took Nat's advice from a recent post and wind the lines to the side of the kite and been 100% since. Thanks! Very Happy

You make a great observation. There is definitely a knack for not rolling your lines when you roll up your bar. These are some of the things I think about:

1) keep all lines together when turning over a kite (do not let some of the lines go over the kite while others go under)

2) Do not let your bar roll through your lines while carrying your kite. In the video I hooked into my bar before carrying my kite. Some may feel this is unsafe however I feel comfortable that I can release my safetys quick enough if required (for example if I tripped and dropped my kite).

3) Do not walk through your lines. This could happen if you are holding your bar while turning the kite over and you accidentally walk through your upper line.

4) When rolling up your lines, continuously hang onto the bar in the center of the bar with your hand holding part of the chicken loop... Or better yet, hook into your bar. It is important that none of the lines slip off the back side of the bar and cross over your chicken loop.

5) When placing your bar down on the ground (after rolling up your lines), extend out your chicken loop so there is no question regarding the proper way to pick up the bar when you come back.

All this being said, I hot wrap my bar (keep my bar attached to my kite while packing it up) on a regular basis and have an extremely high success rate (probably around 97%). I have been doing this for probably 3 or more years through 100's of kite sessions.

It comes down to developing a repeatable pattern and paying attention.

Kmun

Since 05 Jul 2009
250 Posts

Obsessed

PostSat May 28, 16 3:10 am    Rufus Launch Etiquette Reply with quote

No Parking Zones
Four Kites (RPM's) abandoned and consuming the sandy waters' edge.
One with fully extended set of lines floating out into the bay.

Please review this thread.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: