Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Late May Kiting Road Trip to San Fran/Wake Island

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
cdub25

Since 04 Jun 2015
68 Posts
Portland/Lyle

PostThu Apr 21, 16 4:15 pm    Late May Kiting Road Trip to San Fran/Wake Island Reply with quote

I get out of school May 5th and don't start work up until June so I'm planning a kiting road trip with a buddy of mine. We're planning to head down the Oregon coast (kiting as much as possible on the way probably stopping at Floras) to San Francisco, then head over to Wake Island Cable Park in Sacramento and then either come back 101 (if its windy) to kite or over to Tahoe and stop at crater lake on the way back to Portland. We also are planning to bring 2 paddle boards to use anywhere there's no wind!

So heres a few questions?
1. How good/predictable is the wind from the Oregon Coast down to San Fran in late May-Early June?
2. Are there any camp site recommendations along the coast besides Floras Lake?
3. Do you guys think a 2013 Slingshot Darko with shredtowns will be okay to hit the cable?
4. Are there any other recommendations or info we should know about?

All help is much appreciated!

consumer

Since 28 Nov 2010
406 Posts
banned
Obsessed

PostFri Apr 22, 16 4:14 am    Re: Late May Kiting Road Trip to San Fran/Wake Island Reply with quote

cdub25 wrote:

So heres a few questions?
1. How good/predictable is the wind from the Oregon Coast down to San Fran in late May-Early June?
2. Are there any camp site recommendations along the coast besides Floras Lake?
3. Do you guys think a 2013 Slingshot Darko with shredtowns will be okay to hit the cable?
4. Are there any other recommendations or info we should know about?

1. May/June should be awesome. Be sure to hit Pistol river.
2. If you hit Pistol river check out this camp spot: it is incredible!:
http://www.portofgoldbeach.com/HuntleyPark.htm

Once you get into California, you can camp at Costa-Noa (tent camping is possible), or Sherman Island. Sherman starts to get windy around May. Since you are going to hit Wake Island, sherman island might be a good bet.

3. Are you asking because you are thinking about buying a different board? I think the darko is a fairly flat board (little rocker). You can ride anything behind the cable, but I think there are two things to consider 1) you may break your darko hitting features - is that OK with you? 2) you may have slightly more fun kiting and riding the cable with a board built a little more like a wakeboard. All the companies have a board like this in their lineup now.

4. If you are going to hit the coast, bring a surfboard to ride with the kite too!

cdub25

Since 04 Jun 2015
68 Posts
Portland/Lyle

PostFri Apr 22, 16 9:10 am     Reply with quote

Thanks for the camping recommendations! The reason I'm asking #3 is because I also have a 2012 liquid force ps3 boat specific wakeboard but its has almost no flex and no grind base so I'm trying to decide if I should ride at the cable with my stiff wakeboard, flat slingshot, or if I should just rent a cable specific board. I would buy a cable specific wakeboard in a heartbeat if we had a cable closer but Hood River killed that dream when they shut down the Hood River Cable Proect Sad

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostFri Apr 22, 16 12:18 pm     Reply with quote

Make sure to hit Wadell Creek and Scotts Creek just north of Santa Cruz that time of year--high probability of good winds then. There is a really cool RV park/camping spot North of Wadell Creek. I don't remember what it is called. I think it about directly across from Ano Nuevo Park. Yes, the southern Oregon Coast should be rocking and Sherman Island too.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: