Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Looking to travel - South Oregon wind in early June?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
DaveC

Since 07 Mar 2011
10 Posts
East Coast Canada

PostMon Apr 11, 16 6:32 am    Looking to travel - South Oregon wind in early June? Reply with quote

Hey folks,

Me and a few mates are planning a trip down the Oregon coast in early June.

I have a friend down there who said that is prime time to get rock solid wind, but that it has been a wierd winter because of the whole El Nino thing.

Has anyone else experienced El Nino throwing off the wind patterns down there this year?
Can anyone speak to what you think the wind will be like in June compared to a regular year?

Thanks!
DC

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2573 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostMon Apr 11, 16 7:11 am     Reply with quote

Even down south early June is still early season. Things are getting going and you can hit a good streak or not.

I think like Sherman Island is pretty rock solid in early June.

But we've already had some hot days with NW winds so it feels like a good summer season is on the way to me! Thumb's Up

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1471 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostMon Apr 11, 16 7:59 am     Reply with quote

I've been hitting the south Oregon coast since 1992.
June is a 60% chance of getting good wind for kiting.
The El Nino influence has diminished and I would guess this will be a normal year.
If the coast isn't happening you could hit the gorge.
Between the 2 options you should get wind.
June is peak season for getting good dirt for mtn. biking.......

DaveC

Since 07 Mar 2011
10 Posts
East Coast Canada

PostMon Apr 11, 16 10:18 am     Reply with quote

Thanks guys!
My intel source said May/June was best.
I won't rule anyone's advice out just yet! He's in Gold Beach and kites 200+ days a year Smile
60% is a bit worrying but as you said, we'll hit the Gorge if the coast isn't firing.

I think a number of us will have bikes for hitting trails too. Good to know. Thanks!

A.K.

Since 01 Jul 2006
190 Posts

Stoked

PostTue Apr 12, 16 10:12 pm     Reply with quote

June is prime time for the Southern Oregon Coast. There is a reason the American Windsurfing Tour held the Pistol River Wave Bash there last year in the month of June...

dude abides

Since 06 Apr 2014
52 Posts
Bend, OR

PostWed Apr 13, 16 8:18 am    Floras Lake Reply with quote

dont forget to stop by Floras Lake if you're near Cape Blanco at all. Winds could be starting up there around that time.

Aeolus

Since 20 Apr 2010
354 Posts
Gold Beach, OR
OR-SoCo-Aficionado

PostFri Apr 15, 16 2:07 am     Reply with quote

Haha Dave...your bet is on the table now my man Razz Not to worry. You'll be in Oregon with kites in June. chillax! Stay at the house and sell it when your thru. Send me the money in Indo Cool

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: