Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Slinghsot Foil Bag?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
skideeppow

Since 26 Aug 2011
518 Posts

Addicted

PostWed Mar 30, 16 7:15 am    Slinghsot Foil Bag? Reply with quote

Just got the new slingshot foil. Pretty stoked. Just wondering if anyone has any ideas how to transport the wings. they are aluminum and have turned up wings. So dont know the best way to protect them when travelling. Everything else breaks down and can be put in my board bag.

Thanks

foil slingshot.JPG 

Gman

Since 11 Feb 2006
4907 Posts
Portland
Unstrapped

PostWed Mar 30, 16 8:34 am     Reply with quote

bubble wrap and painters tape like a boss

or if you are up against weight allotment - i use some t-shirts

believe NSI hood river sells foil covers

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eu2pBpQolKE

tinyE

Since 21 Jan 2006
2004 Posts
not really an
XTreme Poster

PostWed Mar 30, 16 8:51 am    hydrofoil protection Reply with quote

hey guys, it's a slightly different world, but I come from a long history of hydrofoiling.

you can find wing and t-bar protection over in this forum - this is the direct link to the gear forum.

http://www.foilforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?12-Gear-Reviews-Questions&s=208d0e9b340c182b88caedf2657cb2c6

specifically, i know skyski makes covers, and there's a few independents now making them as well. they may not fit exact, because i've noticed the kiting wings are a little smaller, but it may be a start.

dwaynej

Since 09 Sep 2013
207 Posts

Stoked

CGKA Member

PostWed Mar 30, 16 8:52 am     Reply with quote

Swing by NSI - They have foil covers and if they dont have something that fits, they can custom build.

stringy

Since 23 Jun 2006
1726 Posts
vancouver
XTreme Poster

PostWed Mar 30, 16 10:41 am     Reply with quote

are you talking about traveling by air or back and forth by car?
if by air, complete disassembly is in your best interest. use wetsuit, clothes if you don't have bubble wrap handy.
if just in your car, you should be able to unbolt from the board and just leave the foil assembled. I've seen some kiters use foam to protect the mast. I have a car that is just wide enough to accommodate my complete assembly without having to disassemble.
But yeah NSI has a couple of options available now. they are one of those companies that listens to you and can help you with building a better solution into their product. I would check them out in hood river.

http://northshoreinc.com/store/pc/viewCategories.asp?idCategory=205

skideeppow

Since 26 Aug 2011
518 Posts

Addicted

PostWed Mar 30, 16 11:02 am     Reply with quote

thanks that is great info!

skideeppow

Since 26 Aug 2011
518 Posts

Addicted

PostWed Mar 30, 16 11:03 am     Reply with quote

skideeppow wrote:
thanks that is great info!

yes by air, i live in CO so im always traveling to kite.

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostThu Mar 31, 16 4:05 am     Reply with quote

Note:
Fully dis-assemble the entire setup as maintenance periodically. Removing the wings from the fuselage. I ignored this and foiled salt & fresh water for most of the season. Then when I needed to break it all down for a recent airline flight, the screw threads were hard welded from oxidation. Almost didn't make it.

Highjack:
Are you all finding that 5cm is the ideal track placement for the mast base? Why did Slingshot give me such long tracks?

skideeppow

Since 26 Aug 2011
518 Posts

Addicted

PostThu Mar 31, 16 8:37 am     Reply with quote

^^^I was told to mount it all the way back, that it is easier to ride when your back foot is directly on top of the foil.
But i am a novice so I am sure someone else can weigh in here.

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostThu Mar 31, 16 9:29 am     Reply with quote

I was told.... and confirmed by a Slingshot training video... Mount the mast all the way back on your first day for a few hours with no intention of getting up onto the foil. Ride around for a bit and get familiar with this beast under your feet. Far back = Too much BF. Then move it forward (to 5 cm) and start foiling.
Kip

Video from Slingshot is here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxRLVZzM4eM

skideeppow wrote:
^^^I was told to mount it all the way back, that it is easier to ride when your back foot is directly on top of the foil.

skideeppow

Since 26 Aug 2011
518 Posts

Addicted

PostThu Mar 31, 16 10:17 am     Reply with quote

wylieflyote wrote:
I was told.... and confirmed by a Slingshot training video... Mount the mast all the way back on your first day for a few hours with no intention of getting up onto the foil. Ride around for a bit and get familiar with this beast under your feet. Far back = Too much BF. Then move it forward (to 5 cm) and start foiling.
Kip

Video from Slingshot is here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxRLVZzM4eM

skideeppow wrote:

pretty sure that is recommended if you have never foiled before. I ve been up on a foil a bunch so i wouldnt start there.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: