Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Wickiup Going OFF on Thursday (Central Oregon/Bend)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
jbeede

Since 15 May 2014
8 Posts
United States
Kook

PostTue May 05, 15 7:28 pm    Wickiup Going OFF on Thursday (Central Oregon/Bend) Reply with quote

Anyone interested in joining at Wickiup Reservoir this Thursday, May 7th, at Wickiup Reservoir? Forecast shows it'll be absolutely nuking. PM Me!

Was out there Monday (yesterday) and was the only one on the water, perfect buttery smooth 12m conditions. I expect to be on the 7m come thurs. (185lbs)

http://www.windalert.com/map#43.678,-121.735,11,1,!6042,2

Thursday Forecast Wickiup Reservoir
 Thursday Forecast Wickiup Reservoir  Map_Results___Wind__Forecast__Radar__Weather___More___WindAlert.jpg 

leerusconi

Since 29 Sep 2015
1 Posts

PostTue Sep 29, 15 9:17 am     Reply with quote

Live in Bend and am just getting into kiteboarding. Would love to know places around here that are kite-able and when.

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2057 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostTue Sep 29, 15 9:40 am    Try Paulina and or East lake Reply with quote

leerusconi wrote:
Live in Bend and am just getting into kiteboarding. Would love to know places around here that are kite-able and when.

Well the few kiters that I know that live in Bend do hit the Cascades Lakes sometimes, but it is hit and miss. I believe the lakes are more late afternoon, evening time kiting and this is more in the summer with the longer and warmer days.

The kiter also said they had been skunked a lot going up to the lakes and so they usually endure the hwy 97 ride up to Rufus and occasionally travel west to the coast--Newport I believe.

I've actually never kited in a lake before. From what I've heard it can be hit or miss. The two lakes that I would like to kite and would of been able to kite were Paulina Lake and East Lake over on Newberry Crater. This summer I could of done a 12meter downwinder, launching from the wide open SW boat launch area down to the day use area on the eastern shores.

The other area is the east end of East lake on the black obsidian smooth rocked/glassed beach.

The big danger would be to lose power and be stuck in the very cold waters of either lake.

I'll do one of both of these lakes some day.

Probably will need a 12m or bigger if you want to kite either.

dude abides

Since 06 Apr 2014
52 Posts
Bend, OR

PostWed Sep 30, 15 3:19 pm    the central oregon connection Reply with quote

secret is out... Bend is kitable, been at it for a few years trying with very limited success. but either the wind gods smiled or climate change presented better options this year. I got my fill of days this year at a few lakes, more than just Wickiup.

here's the tally:
4 days over Memorial Day wknd @ Wickiup
2 days in late June @Wickiup
1 day 4th of July @ East Lake - eastside same description as Sasquatch
2 days Labor day weekend at Crescent Lk off of Contorta point

I spend time in the gorge when I can for better consistent wind, but getting solo days around the home turf is great too.
This is from the late June session on 11m Switchblade - shout out to Aaron Sales, thanks for the kite! cheers, Mike

dude abides

Since 06 Apr 2014
52 Posts
Bend, OR

PostThu Oct 01, 15 3:00 pm    more wind Reply with quote

leerusconi, jbeede, to the others I met at Wickiup, Josh, Kristina, and Nic if you're out there...Craig and I are headed to Wickiup 10/2 with a favorable forecast. that picture i posted is from the southeast boat ramp, we'll probably be there.

leerusconi, the other 2 pieces of beta i would share about Wickiup is checking the reservoir level. in the spring it needs to drop below 85-90% to have any room on the shore for launch. beware of hazards at any level. it's ridiculous low now and i am not certain it will work.
http://www.usbr.gov/pn/hydromet/destea.html

also, wickiup is prone to blue green algae, it was bad last year in 2014. this site has all advisories for the state, good to know for other spots including Sauvie Island.
https://public.health.oregon.gov/HealthyEnvironments/Recreation/HarmfulAlgaeBlooms/Pages/Blue-GreenAlgaeAdvisories.aspx

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: