Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

RV's again

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
stevegriffith22

Since 14 May 2006
434 Posts

Obsessed

PostWed Aug 12, 15 6:50 pm    RV's again Reply with quote

I have been told to get another motorhome, are there companies you would suggest or ones you would stay away from?

craz z

Since 01 Dec 2008
130 Posts
Montana
Stoked

PostThu Aug 13, 15 7:11 am     Reply with quote

I wish I was told to go get another RV Very Happy

What are you looking for? A or C?
All rv's are about the same they are built like shit and have lots of problems, but they are amazing in all aspects of what they offer.

New can be a problem. Warranty work can keep you out of it for the first year.
(the rv industry philosophy is just get it out the door we'll fix it later.)

Used is where you don't lose an arm and leg from depreciation.

Ex rentals are really good values they are not beat as many would say, and they were maintained by a business instead of a 75 year old grandma that lets it sit in the driveway for 10 years oh but its really low mileage. Rolling Eyes (sitting for rv's is soo much worse then driving the piss out of them.

As far as brands again its like kites they all fly and its all about personal preference.

The 2 most important rules of RV's are.
Water leaks are the begining and the end of your purchase. Don't buy one ever that has a leak and get rid of it no matter what if you end up with one.

Rule number 2. there is a date code on every tire that is made. starts with DOT ends with the year it was made. Cheap shitty tires should never go over 3-4 years. Good name brand tires should never go over 5-7. They rot from the inside out and YOU will HAVE A BLOWOUT. blowouts do serious serious damage to rv's a 200$ tire can cost 10,000$ in fiberglass repairs.

Hope this helps. Let us know what you find out there.

patdaniels

Since 29 Jul 2015
91 Posts
Seattle area

PostThu Aug 13, 15 7:44 am     Reply with quote

I bought an Arctic Fox 990 camper 3 years ago and have run it hard in 4 season weather, lots of snow, freeze, thaw since I use it for skiing. It is hard on an rv to run in winter, road salt, you will get freeze issues when it gets 5 degrees F. But Northwood Manufacturing based in OR builds a solid RV product and suitable for 4 seasons in the case of Arctic Fox campers. Also, for kiteboarding, wind can do a number on your awnings and also really high wind can pull plastic parts off an RV, so be careful. But it is so nice to step in a climate controlled RV after a kite session

Any RV - You just have to maintain it and stay on top of any issues that comes up, and YOU WILL have issues that come up with any RV (or boat for that matter). It's worth it for me though!

One thing I do really dislike about having an RV though is having to pay over $100 per month in my case to park it offsite because my neighborhood rules don't allow for RV parking at homes. It is much better to have suitable parking at your house if you plan on getting an RV. Kind of a PITA to have to pick it up and drop it offsite and then pay month after month for that. Try to avoid that if you can!

deminimis

Since 15 Jul 2014
326 Posts
On the Rocks
Obsessed

PostThu Aug 13, 15 8:55 am     Reply with quote

We tried the RV thing for 1.5yrs (Westy, Sportsmobile and truck camper before that). Really wasn't that well suited for what we do (Baja, motorcycles, boat, kiting, etc.). Used to have a truck camper and went back to a truck camper. A RV is a single purpose rig that costs you additional insurance, even if it just sits... which it often does. At least with a pickup, you get some real utility out of the vehicle apart from recreation. Whatever the insurance is for the truck camper itself, it is minimal (I can't recall, but I pay something on the order of <$50 for 6/mos, but again, I can't recall). If you decide to go the truck camper route, I'd recommend a Canadian brand. They tend to be pretty well insulated and expected to hold up in the Canadian wilderness. Unless you are trying to sleep four or more, then I'd suggest either Bigfoot or Northern Lite. They are bombproof. If you've got a large posse needing shelter, then you might try and find a used Okanagan with slides and a drop down bunk, but those are as rare as hen's teeth 'round these parts.

One other thing you might wish to consider is safety. Generally speaking, RVs are not all that safe (van front if a "C" and other passengers are in back and that ain't no place to be). At least with the pickup, you've got your passengers sitting forward, with proper belts, and a big engine in front of you to further protect occupants in an impact. One exception to this is a Krystal. They closed their doors, but they are extremely well built (on a Ford F-550 truck chassis instead of a van chassis). The body of a Krystal is built with 1" square steel tubing (they made limos and limo buses before they, ill advisedly, started building six-figure RVs in 2008), and honeycomb fiberglass panels. Now finding a Krystal is really hard, but if you've got to have an RV, and it needs to be nicer than most 2nd homes, that's a good route to take. Technically, they sleep four, but really three. In our former, we put the 4th on an air mattress on the floor (with air sealed slides deployed, if was plenty big enough that he was never in the way). Storage was not as generous as many other RVs, so if you have a bevy of kites and boards, you might be pulling a small trailer if you don't wish to store a bunch of stuff inside. Also, solid counter tops and tile floors do not do well when going off the beaten path. Most RVs are really very poorly built, but Krystal was a huge exception to this. They are a great value as they still book well north of $100k, but you can get them for closer to $80k, if you can find one (and these are full of top-shelf features (Moen fixtures, air flush lav, real cherry wood throughout and syn leather everywhere else, including the ceilings, and many items for the yacht market (stainless) as opposed to the cheapie RV (plastic) market). Avoid, at all costs, the 6.4 diesel unless you can pick one up for cheap and then spring for a Cumins conversion (approx $20k). The V-10 gas worked great. Approx 10 MPG loaded (better if I went the speed limit)

Our former Krystal:

Humm, I kinda miss it now.

Anyway, hope this helps.

Here's one. I had talked with the former owners of this rig before (there weren't many of us...maybe 20?). If you can get past the interior color choice, this is now a smoking deal. This dealer has had this rig on the lot for over two years. They started out at $139K, if I recall. Since Krystal Koach (RV) is no longer around, people freak. Not sure why as all the components are made by other companies (and they are around). This interior begs to have Isaac Hayes playing through the surround sound: http://www.rvtrader.com/dealers/Mike-Thompson%27s-RV-Santa-Fe-Springs-735812/listing/2008-Krystal-KRYSTAL-30-109808018

craz z

Since 01 Dec 2008
130 Posts
Montana
Stoked

PostFri Aug 14, 15 8:58 am     Reply with quote

I thought kiters were poor Shocked

Holy cow that Krystal is a sick machine. The price is too steep for a C IMO. It does look bomb proof like the coach houses. Looks like a full body molded fiberglass.

If price is no object then this is the ultimate adventure rig. they start at 250k. Made in the US and i've seen a couple roaming in oregon last year.

Check this out. http://earthroamer.com/

I prefer the space of a sliding C like your krystal and like a bed that doesn't have to be made every night.

I understand the insurance title, etc. the RV's sit and waste money anyway they can. The only way they work is buying right and USING the darn thing.

I don't understand how people can plop 100k on the table and use them for 2-3 weeks a year. Crazy I guess boats are just as bad though. Can put a price tag on fun and toys. hehe.

Since i got mine any kite adventure is in the RV. I've only had it a year and have been all over the place with it. the minute i quit using it i'm selling.

deminimis

Since 15 Jul 2014
326 Posts
On the Rocks
Obsessed

PostFri Aug 14, 15 9:15 am     Reply with quote

It was nice, but it was a Super C as it was on a truck chassis instead of a van chassis. Was too nice for us though and I was concerned about having a problem when in Baja and not being able to quickly (relatively) source a part (everything, and I mean everything, was controlled by computers -I like a light switch just being a light switch). Besides the shower, my favorite feature was an air-actuated stepwell cover (James Bond stuff right there). However, for us, a decent truck camper on a dialed in truck makes the most sense. We use our rigs a lot. Just passed 10k on our Ram (which didn't arrive until January).

Again, I'd rec you look at a pickup and camper as a possible solution. If you are completely insane about having storage, then a flatbed with trucker boxes (above and below) is a good option.

Hein

Since 08 Mar 2005
1313 Posts

Possessed

PostSat Aug 15, 15 9:33 am     Reply with quote

Build your own van-RV. It's a bit of work but you can make it what ever suits your fancy.
Our build: http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27822

There are some nice vans to choose from these days.
And the resources to DIY the up-fit are out there too.

Sprinter: http://sprinter-source.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4

Transit: http://www.fordtransitusaforum.com/camper-vans-conversions/

Promaster: http://www.promasterforum.com/

stevegriffith22

Since 14 May 2006
434 Posts

Obsessed

PostThu Aug 20, 15 8:53 pm     Reply with quote

So I'm looking to haul a gaggle of kids. I was thinking a Jayco Greyhawk FS with bunks........ and a small cargo trailer...

stevegriffith22

Since 14 May 2006
434 Posts

Obsessed

PostThu Aug 27, 15 3:46 pm     Reply with quote

Bump: Does anyone have any experience putting in a rear locker in a modern class C on a Ford Platform?

deminimis

Since 15 Jul 2014
326 Posts
On the Rocks
Obsessed

PostThu Aug 27, 15 3:48 pm     Reply with quote

Yup. Get channel and extend the frame (bolted, not welded).

stevegriffith22

Since 14 May 2006
434 Posts

Obsessed

PostThu Aug 27, 15 3:56 pm     Reply with quote

PICS?

deminimis

Since 15 Jul 2014
326 Posts
On the Rocks
Obsessed

PostThu Aug 27, 15 4:07 pm     Reply with quote

Sorry.

gotkite

Since 16 Mar 2006
14 Posts
Seattle, WA

PostWed Sep 09, 15 9:12 pm    Rv Reply with quote

Just switch my lance camper out to a toy hauler with 10 ft garage this thing is a house on wheels - can carry all the gear and then some bedroom upfront walk around bed - 2 queen beds in garage that raise to ceiling - defiantly not camping lol ---I looked for months and found the used market had some very bad RVs out there - did a search and discovered if you buy from a dealer in the Midwest you will save 12k-to 20k in the price on the west coast - still can't believe no body in the west coast would come within 12k of the price I paid for at RVWHOLESELLERS in Ohio for my XLR HyperLight 29hfs toyhauler- also 1/2ton toy able check it out

image.jpg 
   image.jpg 
   image.jpg 
   image.jpg 

image.jpg
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  image.jpg
 Filesize:  1.6 MB
 Downloaded:  656 Time(s)
 Note:  Use Pixlr to resize images to lower than 1024x768 resolution so they show up inline.

1surfer

Since 20 Apr 2010
354 Posts
'Ualapu'e / High Rockies
Obsessed

PostFri Sep 11, 15 10:08 am    Made in Colorado Reply with quote

http://earthroamer.com

deminimis

Since 15 Jul 2014
326 Posts
On the Rocks
Obsessed

PostFri Sep 11, 15 11:09 am     Reply with quote

One last thing and I'll shut up. You mentioned RV, but if you are thinking along the lines of a trailer, and you want to customize to suit your needs, you might consider trying to find a used TPD trailer. Good luck (too pricey for new and hard to find used -I drove all night to Vegas when mine popped up on Racing Junk classifieds), but they pop up every once in a while. They are one of the few (very few) trailers I'd take to Baja or up to the mountain in Winter. Super strong (roof is built strong enough to act as an observation deck for you and all your friends). 1" square steel tubing and composite construction (floor structure is stronger). Now that we're pretty much done with racing dirt bikes, I plan to eventually convert mine to a convertible camping/pre-runner hauling setup. 1" stryo and cover the walls with white dry erase board and it will take pretty much whatever abuse you give it. A couple sets of fold up bunks attached to lengths of airline track, seating and all the other stuff, and it would be damn close to the ultimate beach retreat (You can wash these out with the pressure washer since they are composite). Anyway, something to chew on. Their site:

http://www.tpdtrailers.com/

And, of course, no post would be complete without a pic of ours (only shows part of the interior, but you get the idea):

stevegriffith22

Since 14 May 2006
434 Posts

Obsessed

PostWed Sep 16, 15 6:49 am     Reply with quote

So In my research I have found that if your going to purchase new, its appears that if your willing to put your wife on a plane and send her to Indiana with your money in place, you can save 20 to 30k per 100k. As a example, the local dealership wanted 116k for something you can get for 71k in Indiana at the factory. Just food for thought. I also have found that lots of people go to Arizona and die, and families need to get rid of things fast.

Freeride Kiter

Since 08 Jul 2011
698 Posts
Alaska / PNW / Baja
Instructor

PostWed Sep 16, 15 4:56 pm    Hideout Reply with quote

Yes - thats very true. Even closer to you you can get deals.

I flew down from Alaska and bought this Keystone Hideout out of Portland. It was built at the Keystone factory in Pendleton, Oregon. It was roughly 8 thousand dollars cheaper than same unit already in Alaska.

(yeah.. thats at Rufus)

The Hideout At Rufus, Oregon
 The Hideout At Rufus, Oregon  Hideout.jpg 

www.freeridekiting.com

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: