Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

SST Wave Kite bar question...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
toddjb

Since 16 Oct 2007
271 Posts
MD
Obsessed

PostTue Aug 25, 15 10:20 am    SST Wave Kite bar question... Reply with quote

Which size bar are folks using on the 8M?

I know all four of the kites (6/8/10/12) can fly on the 20" bar.

I figured the 6 would be best on the 17" bar,
the 10/12 on the 20" bar,
curious about the 8....

Sella

Since 21 Apr 2007
1794 Posts
Doin' The Dalles
FLY'IN HIGH PIE GUY

PostTue Aug 25, 15 10:40 am     Reply with quote

I vote for 20". I like the extra 3m line length for the extra throw to get you home if it lightens up. If it's booming you have the 17" bar from your 6M ready to go. You'll ride your larger kites more so if you're buying them all complete you have 1 more fresh 20x23 bar on hand to rotate.

Todd, have you, or anyone, flown the 12m Wave and has insight on turning speed and drift control feedback??

toddjb

Since 16 Oct 2007
271 Posts
MD
Obsessed

PostTue Aug 25, 15 10:55 am     Reply with quote

Thanks.

Don't have a 12. Have only flown the 10 in lighter air so far (like it!). Haven't launched the 8 yet.

knotwindy

Since 25 Sep 2011
598 Posts

Addicted

PostTue Aug 25, 15 12:33 pm     Reply with quote

I been riding the 8 on the 20" bar and just once on the 20" barbut with 20m lines and like it better that way. A bit faster response but you do lose a bit in the jumping, even when really powered. And you have to work the kite a bit more on the rally low end but it is plenty fast enough to make it work. I think I will keep using the 20/20 setup for a while on the 8 to see how it goes after some time on it.

ulx

Since 21 Nov 2008
16 Posts

PostTue Aug 25, 15 12:56 pm     Reply with quote

knotwindy wrote:
... I think I will keep using the 20/20 setup for a while on the 8 to see how it goes after some time on it.

Yeah, that's my setup, too. It works great with the 8 and 10m. I don't miss the 3m for lowend because the SSTs turn so tight that you still have enough way to travel. Haven't tried the 6m yet but I am pretty sure it's fits there as well. I still have a 17 inch bar but that is only for the 4.5 rpm.

Windance Crew

Since 18 Apr 2008
473 Posts
Hood River Kite Shop
Obsessed

PostWed Aug 26, 15 8:03 am     Reply with quote

I prefer the 17" bar on the 8m2 size, but I like the smaller bars generally since they are more compact and feel like a wakeboard handle. '
Plus I find the Wave SST is plenty quick to turn and the 17" gets it done.

eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1804 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostWed Aug 26, 15 9:27 am     Reply with quote

I'm thinking longer bars do not increase turning speed. Rather, they decrease the effort required to turn the kite due to more leverage and might even slow the kite down a bit as you have to move the bar farther to accomplish the same angle?

Wondering if I'm correct?

toddjb

Since 16 Oct 2007
271 Posts
MD
Obsessed

PostWed Aug 26, 15 11:34 am     Reply with quote

eric wrote:
I'm thinking longer bars do not increase turning speed. Rather, they decrease the effort required to turn the kite due to more leverage and might even slow the kite down a bit as you have to move the bar farther to accomplish the same angle?

Wondering if I'm correct?

Kind of...but that is what makes it increase the turning speed, right? If I have to pull the bar a smaller distance to get the same turn, my turning speed has been increased. Since folks tend to pull the same amount on their 23" bar that they do on their 17" bar, they'll find the kite turns a lot faster!

As a corollary to this, I remember when the the turning speed was slowed on a kite one year, and folks who liked the quick turning of the prior year complained about it... the SS response was, "it still turns fast, it just requires more bar input." Laughing Laughing

ulx

Since 21 Nov 2008
16 Posts

PostWed Aug 26, 15 11:49 pm     Reply with quote

It obviously has a lot to do with personal preference. I like short lines as its fast from side to side of the window. I like a wide bar because I like to have light one handed steering with my strapless surfboard.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: