Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

How do the 2016 Rallys Handle Lulls?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
proletariat

Since 22 Feb 2013
102 Posts
Denver, CO
Stoked

PostTue Aug 18, 15 6:50 pm    How do the 2016 Rallys Handle Lulls? Reply with quote

Can anyone comment on how the new Rallys do in a serious lull (like half of average wind speed?)

I'm thinking about getting one but can't demo here.

Justsmile

Since 20 Jul 2009
1523 Posts
Not Portland
XTreme Poster

PostTue Aug 18, 15 7:17 pm     Reply with quote

Will tell you Thursday if it lulls. Just picked up a 9,12 and will give em a go!! Are yiu basing this off the build quality which makes them a little heavier!! Where are you coming from?? Look forward to hearing!!

patdaniels

Since 29 Jul 2015
91 Posts
Seattle area

PostTue Aug 18, 15 7:23 pm     Reply with quote

I've flown the 2016 12M and 9M Rally. Both handle well in the lulls relative to other kites. I've noticed the 2016 Rally turns a bit quicker than the last couple year's Rallys, which is helpful in lulls when having to keep the kite moving. New one pump speed system (larger inflate valve) makes pumping about 25% - 30% faster from my experience. Nice upgrades to the 2016 Rally - faster turning, faster pumping.

Justsmile

Since 20 Jul 2009
1523 Posts
Not Portland
XTreme Poster

PostTue Aug 18, 15 8:41 pm     Reply with quote

patdaniels wrote:
I've flown the 2016 12M and 9M Rally. Both handle well in the lulls relative to other kites. I've noticed the 2016 Rally turns a bit quicker than the last couple year's Rallys, which is helpful in lulls when having to keep the kite moving. New one pump speed system (larger inflate valve) makes pumping about 25% - 30% faster from my experience. Nice upgrades to the 2016 Rally - faster turning, faster pumping.

In your experience with the new rally's which attachment points did you use and which one was your favorite. I have heard some sniveling about bar pressure and the rally's. What was your take ??

toddjb

Since 16 Oct 2007
271 Posts
MD
Obsessed

PostTue Aug 18, 15 9:18 pm     Reply with quote

The Rally handles lulls great. You may drop into the water, depending what kind of board you are riding, but the kite won't drop out of the sky. You'll likely have to sheet out to keep it up in a big lull if it starts to drop.

If you are hitting some real lightwind kiting, don't overlook the 15 Turbine. Wink
Or get a foil board.

patdaniels

Since 29 Jul 2015
91 Posts
Seattle area

PostWed Aug 19, 15 2:30 am     Reply with quote

Dog Patrol wrote:
patdaniels wrote:

In your experience with the new rally's which attachment points did you use and which one was your favorite. I have heard some sniveling about bar pressure and the rally's. What was your take ??

I always run Rally's at furthest point out on the wingtip, lightest kite feedback for lightest bar pressure and use the second knot from end for larkshead loop attachment on line/bridle connection. Personally, no complaints at all about bar pressure on Rally.

proletariat

Since 22 Feb 2013
102 Posts
Denver, CO
Stoked

PostWed Aug 19, 15 8:22 am     Reply with quote

Dog Patrol wrote:
Are yiu basing this off the build quality which makes them a little heavier!! Where are you coming from?? Look forward to hearing!!

Basically, I've noticed some kites retain their ability to fly & steer in a lull based on some combination of weight, weight distribution, attachment points, bridle, strut size, unicorn powder content and rainbow energy.

For instance, my 14m Rally does great on lulls because it's relatively light (but not too light) and well-balanced. It's also too slow to Hindenburg as fast as my 10m Rally in a lull -- noticed this with foils, too. It also pivots on a dime so I can usually recover before it hits the water even during a Hindenburg. My 12m 2014 Envy, on the other hand would fall out of the sky like a dead bird and be unrecoverable in the slightest lull. I was wondering about the 2016 Rally because yeah, they're heavier than the 2012, but also because I guess they changed the bridle a bit.

We have gusts that are ridiculous here, but the real day-to-day pain in the ass is the Lulls, so I was wondering how the new ones behave in a serious lull (like half of average wind speed, say).

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: