Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

More lessons?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
BrentB

Since 15 Aug 2015
9 Posts
Portlandia
Kook

PostMon Aug 17, 15 9:35 pm    More lessons? Reply with quote

I signed up and completed three days of lessons. I'm ridding and can go upwind one direction and less consistently upwind the other. I know another lesson would be beneficial to work on transitions and staying upwind, but my instructors booked the next couple of weeks. So, should I give it a shot on a less crowded day, or is riding upwind both directions a non negotiable before striking out on my own?

edcinfg

Since 17 Aug 2015
34 Posts
United States

PostMon Aug 17, 15 10:47 pm     Reply with quote

I was in a similar situation a few weeks ago... The short story is, just go for it. It gets better each time you go. Try and hit it weekly. Good luck

jaksavage

Since 02 Dec 2009
216 Posts
hood river
Stoked

PostTue Aug 18, 15 6:05 am    learning Reply with quote

If you are solid and know self rescue.
Launch at the underwood sandbar and do a downwinder to the event site. Work on staying up wind, stay out of the barge lanes.
Lots of people around to help if needed.

knotwindy

Since 25 Sep 2011
598 Posts

Addicted

PostTue Aug 18, 15 7:51 am     Reply with quote

Yea, in the gorge, with the current, staying upwind both directions is not a deal breaker. As said above, if you can self rescue and launch/land safely, find a friend and go.

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostTue Aug 18, 15 8:28 am     Reply with quote

edcinfg wrote:
I was in a similar situation a few weeks ago... The short story is, just go for it. It gets better each time you go. Try and hit it weekly. Good luck

One thing that never that gets old is witnessing and hearing the STOKE from newbies!

Keep the progression moving forward and try to go a couple of times per week.

Good times and steady and strong winds to all.

Matt V

Since 26 Oct 2014
462 Posts
Summer- OR Coast, Winter - My van near good snow
Explosive Diarrhea

PostTue Aug 18, 15 9:07 am     Reply with quote

My 2 cents is that you should fly your trainer kite even while you are in the process of getting lessons. There is no downside to learning "instinctual steering" and kite placement in the window that a trainer kite can give you. I still fly my trainer kite regularly after 8 years of kiting. Learn to "text" with one hand while keeping the kite directly above you with the other. Try to tie a shoe with one hand while flying the trainer directly above you.

The only down side to trainer kite experience at your level is that you develop the bad habit of oversheeting the bar on your depower kite. In beginners this can be bad enough to accidentally unhook. When sheeting in a depower kite, try to never touch the top of the chicken loop release/swivel. In other words, always leave about 1cm of travel towards you on the bar. This way, you are pulling from the harness, not the bar with a depower kite. And most important, when looking for power in the kite, find the "sweet spot" in the bar travel. Sometimes, more sheeted in is oversheeted which kills some of the power of the kite. This is a difficult concept to get, and can only be experienced on a depower kite, but it is the holy grail of kiting efficiency and upwind.

A.K.

Since 01 Jul 2006
190 Posts

Stoked

PostTue Aug 18, 15 9:46 am     Reply with quote

Do some major body dragging and continue to get used to perfecting kite flying and water relaunching....

You don't need to worry about the board until you are so proficient at the kite that you no longer need to look at it but can feel its location through the bar.

dwaynej

Since 09 Sep 2013
207 Posts

Stoked

CGKA Member

PostTue Aug 18, 15 11:09 am     Reply with quote

I joked with my instructor they taught me how to ride with right foot forward, but forgot to teach me left foot forward. Technically, nothing an instructor can really help with... Just get out on the water and practice. I booked an extra hour on the water with an instructor to clean up my transitions but at that stage, I was riding upwind both tacks... The lesson was helpful and its always good to get feedback on technique from others.

Stick with learning a single skill such as a specific transition type until mastered. It's normal to have a weaker side to everything you do on a board.

- D

quenyaistar

Since 21 Oct 2011
416 Posts
Cougar, WA
Obsessed

PostTue Aug 18, 15 11:20 am     Reply with quote

3 lessons is plenty, time to ride aka practice.

Jonpnw

Since 22 Jul 2010
1322 Posts
Pacific Northwest
XTreme Poster

PostTue Aug 18, 15 1:39 pm    Water time Reply with quote

Get out there and practice. Don't be ashamed to do the upwind beach walk. Look over your shoulder upwind where you want to be going, NOT with your eyes up at your kite.

Join the Columbia Gorge Water Sports Association. http://gorgewindsurfing.org/

stringy

Since 23 Jun 2006
1724 Posts
vancouver
XTreme Poster

PostTue Aug 18, 15 2:25 pm     Reply with quote

I remember my first sumer at rufus being able to go to washington but couldn't get back to oregon haha
I would have to body drag but eventually it clicked.
try doing on your weak tack what you've been doing on your strong upwinding tack ( I know if it was that easy you'd already have it down)
try dropping your front hand and turning your body farther upwind. this will help encourage your lower body to follow position.
one trick we do in the river is if you have trouble going upwind because the wind is too light, we will go to the strongest current section and sit with our kites at noon taking the current upwind. haha

BrentB

Since 15 Aug 2015
9 Posts
Portlandia
Kook

PostWed Aug 19, 15 8:06 am    Thanks Reply with quote

Great feedback - see you on the river!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: