Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Beginner body dragging.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Nevo

PostMon Aug 17, 15 9:47 am    Beginner body dragging. Reply with quote

Hi,

I've taken a few lessons, had some great rides, and want to step out on my own. Before I jump in the river with my board and all I'd love to work on my body dragging and self rescue a little more, to get to the point where crashing and watching my board drift away doesn't seem like an epic.

So my questions are these:

What sites would people recommend for practicing these skills?

I have a 9m kite, for purely body dragging, how light of wind could I reasonably expect to be able to get out and practice in?

Thanks!
Bryan

ezryder111

Since 24 Dec 2012
131 Posts
SE Portland
Stoked

PostMon Aug 17, 15 10:23 am     Reply with quote

To me the perfect place is Jones Beach. Lots and lots of room to walk upwind on the beach, drag out and practice your skills. Then just drag back in, walk up the beach and do it all over again. I've done tons of those circuits. So good for building confidence and getting your basics dialed in. Seems to be the safest, least crowded and most reliable area I can think of.

Should be able to body drag with a 9m with at least 15-20mph. I'm a big guy though so you may be able to get away with slightly lighter wind.

Good luck and have fun!

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostMon Aug 17, 15 10:25 am     Reply with quote

ezryder111 wrote:
To me the perfect place is Jones Beach. Lots and lots of room to walk upwind on the beach, drag out and practice your skills. Then just drag back in, walk up the beach and do it all over again. I've done tons of those circuits. So good for building confidence and getting your basics dialed in. Seems to be the safest, least crowded and most reliable area I can think of.

Should be able to body drag with a 9m with at least 15-20mph. I'm a big guy though so you may be able to get away with slightly lighter wind.

Good luck and have fun!

WORD!

Sella

Since 21 Apr 2007
1794 Posts
Doin' The Dalles
FLY'IN HIGH PIE GUY

PostMon Aug 17, 15 10:37 am     Reply with quote

This thread offers a lot of body dragging wisdom/technique guidance......plus it's a good Jones Beach scenario to learn from.

http://www.nwkite.com/forums/t-22059.html&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=body&start=17

OG

Since 07 Jun 2011
533 Posts

Addicted

PostMon Aug 17, 15 10:52 am     Reply with quote

and the best advice.......just go on a windy day and get out there and body drag. Dont read the forum too much, theres as much bad advice as there is good.

ezryder111

Since 24 Dec 2012
131 Posts
SE Portland
Stoked

PostMon Aug 17, 15 12:27 pm     Reply with quote

PS - the Hood River sandbar can be a good place to practice as well. It may look intimidating at first but if you go all the way out to the end by the Washington side you can find a decent sized area to drag around without getting crowded out. It will also help you get used to dealing with crowds, although I wouldn't recommend going there on the weekend if you can avoid it!
Jones is better because the wind is usually side-onshore whereas the sandbar will likely be onshore, so it will be a little more difficult to get out away from the beach. All good for learning different skills in different conditions though.

kwalshpc

Since 24 Oct 2014
142 Posts

Stoked

PostMon Aug 17, 15 1:53 pm    Body Dragging Reply with quote

Don't forget to "drag" feet first too. The traditional drag is for getting back to your board. Feet first can be fun and good for developing control - just lay in the water and practice diving the kite, bringing it back to 12 and stopping it. You are trying to get time with the kite, so changing it up is going to help.

A.K.

Since 01 Jul 2006
190 Posts

Stoked

PostMon Aug 17, 15 3:13 pm     Reply with quote

The more body drags the better. Remember, 100% of the danger is on land while launching. So just because you are "body dragging" does not mean you should be operating out of advanced locations. You still need a big sandy beach to operate from.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: