Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

confrontation today at Rosie
Page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
niknas

Since 18 Sep 2006
181 Posts
North of OR, South of WA
Stoked

PostMon Jul 27, 15 4:03 pm     Reply with quote

Sorry I didn't mean to hijack this thread about my encounter at the Wunderbar. I was in the process of winding up lines even before the little lady started ragging me about my lines being over their lines. I could argue that when he landed my kite he could have set it down up wind of their kite thus keeping my lines off his and hers, if they were so concerned or in hurry to rig.

It has always been my practice when landing to secure my kite first and then start winding my lines immediately. When launching I attach my lines, check them then I drag my lines up to an little ahead of my kite where I hook up, self launch or if some one is there to help get him or her to launch me.

Never in 10 years of kiting have I had someone go off on me here or in Baja.

Quote:
When there are too many rats in a confined space they will turn on each other

A little humor, patience, and a clivil attitude can go a long way.

Quote:
PPS Have a good attitude. Remember we are getting to go kiting!

Anthony

Since 07 Oct 2008
362 Posts
Salem
Obsessed

CGKA Member

PostMon Jul 27, 15 7:56 pm     Reply with quote

I tried hard to ignore this post and let it go. No, a little history is needed. When I saw the post it just brought up all the bad memories of the first generation of kiters at Rosie. Or what I call the Rosy Pricks. Like Rose, the thorns can draw blood.

The most of first generation came from the windsurfing ranks. Like any sport there was the good, the bad and the ugly. Before kiting, windsurfing had a full rank of bad and ugly. After a while you kind of knew who they were. Sadly for kiting most of the bad and ugly windsurfers went to the sport at least initially. The equipment was pre-safety release technology which tended to bring people to the ER. Most of my friends, who switched to kiting at the time also went to the ER at least once. The sport was new and the riders were figuring out the gear.

At Rosy, it started as just a novelty sport, but over a short period time it grew. The kiters would lay their lines out along the grass, creating a 25m invisible fence that no one was to cross. The Rosy Pricks would be out yelling and threatening the windsurfers wanting access to the river over there lines that blocked a good portion of access to the parking lot. The real estate taken up the kiters to “DRY” there lines was ridiculous. It is what they said, they were doing. That is not a joke!

Sadly, it was these few individuals that set the tone for a lot of old windsurfers despise over such ignorant actions. A lot of younger kiters to not understand, what the windsurfing generation had to tolerate. Do not get me wrong there are a lot of responsible kiters, it only take a few back Apples to make it a bad day. Sadly for you younger kiters you will know a few windsurfers as grump older people.

Today majority of windsurfers and kiters get along. The equipment is better and attitudes are positive. Courtesy and smiles go a long way.

In Baja, the Canadians and Americans taught me well about Kiteboarding Etiquette. Right after landing my kite, I always roll up the lines, even if it is just to come in for a short period of time. Rolling up the lines is a safety issue for all people near them. Smile out there and pass on the good karma.

sfbomber

Since 27 Jun 2012
112 Posts

Stoked

PostTue Jul 28, 15 6:33 am    Re: confrontation today at Rosie Reply with quote

novocaine wrote:
Had a good day at Roosevelt, until I didn't. It was pretty crowded today, no parking, lots of kites, and people having a good time. Went out for a couple of hours then came in for lunch. Had my kite on the grass, lines connected and extended, ready to go after lunch.

Generally it is poor etiquette to leave your lines extended unless you are ready to launch, especially at crowded beaches. Next time leave your lines connected, but wind them on your bar until you are ready to launch.

Matt V

Since 26 Oct 2014
462 Posts
Summer- OR Coast, Winter - My van near good snow
Explosive Diarrhea

PostTue Jul 28, 15 9:07 am     Reply with quote

Someday, people will get along! Well..... not really.

So look at it this way - I really wish we could tattoo "A$$ h@13 Kook" on the forehead of everyone who makes a tool mistake and is unfriendly about it. Or just "Kook" for making a tool mistake but being nice about it. I would have 3 of the latter tats on my head so far. But the reality is that these guys typically identify themselves without the tattoo. And I would much prefer to know who the idiot is before I get out on the water with them. A confrontation like this is a gift that keeps you safe out on the water for the price of just a bit of happiness on land. Make sure you remember the kite he or she is putting up. Try to keep away, and remember that if you choose to rescue this person, they may still be a danger to you.

Back home, a kayaker rescued a guy who stuck his catamaran mast in the mud. For the kayakers efforts, the catamaran guy unscrewed the kayakers drain plug while being towed in. But that is what you would expect from an "A$$ h@13 Kook" who also had a meth problem.

Rufus is another example of those guys identifying themselves. With 3 rows of campers and vehicles up top on a good day, the kiter who shows up late for a good parking spot that just drives down and parks in the kite storage/launching area just put on his tattoo.

Again, thank them for identifying themselves.

J.P.

Since 10 Mar 2005
638 Posts

Addicted

PostTue Jul 28, 15 10:38 am     Reply with quote

niknas wrote:

Never in 10 years of kiting have I had someone go off on me here or in Baja.

I'd suggest we have the Today show to blame (circa 2007) for exposing those types to the sport...

Link

UPWIND LAUNCH OF A SPORT

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: