Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Advice on suicide settings
Page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Halfsharkalligatorhalfman

Since 17 Feb 2012
47 Posts

PostThu Sep 18, 14 9:03 pm     Reply with quote

dyyylan wrote:
consumer wrote:
Cool idea hooking it to the depower, but how is that different from letting the bar slide all the way up ( sheeting all the way out?) looks to me like it does the exact same thing.

Edit: oh I guess you get 2x the length after looking at the pic.

Yeah, the pre-2015 LF bars had a long depower handle specifically for attaching the leash to, they called it "90% depower" mode. It was basically suicide but it depowers the kite almost completely (90%, apparently). With the envy, it pretty much always would kill the power as soon as I dropped the bar, and would slide across the window on the water into the relaunch position, just sitting on a wingtip waiting for you. I don't particularly like below the bar depower but that leashing option worked really well.

Yup. This works exactly the same. No downtime or relaunching of the kite between crashes while unhooked! I have been using my bar like this now flawlessly for 6 years.

Halfsharkalligatorhalfman

Since 17 Feb 2012
47 Posts

PostThu Sep 18, 14 9:05 pm    Re: Suicide Reply with quote

The Borginsteiner wrote:
Halfsharkalligatorhalfman wrote:
This is what I have always done with all my Compsticks. 1 remove the clutter. 2 hook leash to depower. 3 ride and unhook! 4 crash and burn 5 real in 5 foot of leash and four feet of depower. 6 hook in and ride again. When you do this your kite stays flying 95% depowered, likely 10-50% more than suicide. You have to remove the clutter including the CSS or it will jam into the bar and you will be in for a kitemare.

Got to be the worst set-up I've ever seen - just sayin'

The Borginsteiner

Haters gonna hate. Very Happy

Windstoked

Since 21 May 2013
43 Posts
Norcal

PostThu Sep 18, 14 9:11 pm     Reply with quote

For less experienced kiters considering these suicide-style options, it should be made clear that the kite only depowers to the same extent that pushing the bar all the way out provides, and for some types of kites, that isn't 90% depower. Also, situations can occur where even 90% isn't enough depower (sudden overpowering wind changes, line tangles or breakage, wingtip line wraps, bar breakage, wrapping into another kiter's lines, etc.). Some of these situations can result in a death loop where sometimes the water force can be too great to reach your leash release, and sometimes obstacles can be hit before you can release the leash.

dyyylan

Since 14 May 2014
26 Posts
Hood River

PostFri Sep 19, 14 2:30 pm     Reply with quote

Windstoked wrote:
For less experienced kiters considering these suicide-style options, it should be made clear that the kite only depowers to the same extent that pushing the bar all the way out provides, and for some types of kites, that isn't 90% depower. Also, situations can occur where even 90% isn't enough depower (sudden overpowering wind changes, line tangles or breakage, wingtip line wraps, bar breakage, wrapping into another kiter's lines, etc.). Some of these situations can result in a death loop where sometimes the water force can be too great to reach your leash release, and sometimes obstacles can be hit before you can release the leash.

Definitely. This is why I like the having the flagout ring through the chicken loop, so you still have a fully flagging kite if you need it. I had the wind switch to dead offshore (and drop about 10 knots) on the coast while I was about somewhere around 150m out, had to pull my leash off the mainline and clip it to the ring, punch out, and then get my boots off so I could swim in. Kind of an experience I don't want to repeat

skilja

Since 02 Jan 2008
75 Posts

PostThu May 14, 15 12:54 pm    2014+ Slingshot Guardian Setup Reply with quote

I ride suicide like some of the others on the 2010-2013 compstick CL with the leash attached at the base of the driveshaft where the donkey dik is velcroed to the shaft ring. I'm wondering about the newer Guardian system. Is this still possible? Is that ring at the base of the Guardian driveshaft still large enough to accommodate both the velcro of a donkey dik and the leash hook?

Lurk

Since 04 Apr 2009
355 Posts

Obsessed

PostFri May 15, 15 11:20 am     Reply with quote

I have been doing the same, clipping to the depower for at least 5 years with no issues.

But new bars have changed the knob at the end so no longer possible!! Why did they do this? Is Tony trying to discourage newbies from this option?

Of couase you can just add a metal ring to depower line but more hassle...

Also in the pic clipping through the line is wearing out the line. Looks sketchy to me I just clip around the line and no difference.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: