Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

ocean sailing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
registered

Since 12 Jul 2005
1319 Posts
tsunami
Sandbagger

PostSun Apr 12, 15 6:26 am    ocean sailing Reply with quote

Should be an exciting day. enough said.

Aeolus

Since 20 Apr 2010
354 Posts
Gold Beach, OR
OR-SoCo-Aficionado

PostSun Apr 12, 15 8:27 am     Reply with quote

Gonna get real this week. Coast guard sums it up...

image.jpg 

Windian

Since 28 Apr 2008
881 Posts
Newport, OR
NEWPORT OG

PostSun Apr 12, 15 8:35 am     Reply with quote

Next Thursday the ocean will win!

Shocked

NOAA says:

A WEST SWELL IN THE 10 TO 12 FT RANGE WILL CONTINUE TODAY AND
SHOULD BE JUST UNDER 10 FT LATE THIS EVENING...THEN BACK UP TO
NEAR 11 FT MONDAY. A MORE SIGNIFICANT SWELL MAY ARRIVE BY THE
SECOND HALF OF NEXT WEEK WITH SEAS BUILDING IN THE 10 TO 15 FT
RANGE THU. MODELS INDICATING A FAIRLY LONG PERIOD OF 18 TO 20
SECONDS ON THU.

george

Since 13 May 2012
31 Posts

PostSun Apr 12, 15 10:52 am     Reply with quote

Hello, just wondering how much do the jetties take the edge off these big swells? With smaller NW swell and shorter periods, say 4-6 or even 6-10 ft. at 7-10sec, the usual summer stuff, my sense is the waves are halved at least, tucked up next to the jetty.
Will these divine events like the Thursday surf, still cause sphincter ache and me to poop my wetsuit?
Any chance you riders will be lurking around, either surf or kite mode?
Thanks.
George

registered

Since 12 Jul 2005
1319 Posts
tsunami
Sandbagger

PostSun Apr 12, 15 10:58 am     Reply with quote

NE wind 5 to 10 kt...backing to N early in the afternoon...then...rising to 15 to 20 kt late afternoon. Wind waves 2 ft or less...becoming 3 to 4 ft in the afternoon. Swell NW 9 to 10 ft at 13 seconds.

here is what i see for today, guess you got to know where to click.

the jetties help lay down the illuvial fan which jacks the waves just right for some... sometimes and evolving throughout the seasons as the climates change traditionally .

Jetty can produce a good rip to knock down a spot to escape just like lots of rips. along the coast.

Only thing constant is change.

I must admit anything 10 foot or more is usually pretty scary kiting ... but fun to. Twisted Evil

Aeolus

Since 20 Apr 2010
354 Posts
Gold Beach, OR
OR-SoCo-Aficionado

PostMon Apr 13, 15 9:55 pm     Reply with quote

george wrote:
Hello, just wondering how much do the jetties take the edge off these big swells?

That's an interesting question. I would guess that it depends a lot on swell direction and period and the orientation of the jetty. Ground swell (longer than 13 seconds?) has deep roots.

From StormSurf
"A wave with a 14 second period reaches down into the ocean about 516 feet. A 17 second period wave at 761 ft, 20 second at 1053 ft and 25 secs to a whopping 1646 ft! So you can see how little impact an opposing wind wave with a 7 sec period reaching down only 129 ft would have on one of these long period deep water swells."

Big swell will start getting tripped up way outside. Smallish summer NW wind swell can get polished down to nothing by a big jetty. The jetty at Gold Beach is woefully small and it calms down a humping N wind swell.

I'm with Regi ...anything over 10ft and 13 seconds for me is a sphincter workout. I didn't have the courage to mess with the big stuff yesterday with fickle wind. Nothing worse than big surf and big holes in your wind power. Had to be satisfied with the inside shoulder. The current was like a fire hose in there yesterday. Maybe an omen for the week Crying or Very sad

Photo: Dana Miller
 Photo: Dana Miller  scraps1.jpg 

george

Since 13 May 2012
31 Posts

PostWed Apr 15, 15 9:00 am     Reply with quote

Reg and Aeolus, thanks.
That has been my limited experience, smaller conditions are moderated by the jetty, but bigger, not so much. Wow, that's a deep reach for the longer period swell! No wonder it just marches through everything.
Nice pic...is that you at Sebastion? And taken by DM! Nice one. Ocean sailing...definitely humbling, and yes, the sea always wins, even on a flat day. Hopefully soon.
Cheers.
George

registered

Since 12 Jul 2005
1319 Posts
tsunami
Sandbagger

PostThu Apr 16, 15 6:08 am     Reply with quote

its on again.. as warned.

george

Since 13 May 2012
31 Posts

PostThu Apr 16, 15 7:14 am     Reply with quote

registered wrote:

Any pics? I wanted to make the long journey through the night, but was thinking my soul would be crushed by the sea, and would've been driven away in shame and misery...
Would love to see how the waves look at any unnamed coastal jetty today and this evening. The cams don't seem to show as much as I wanted to see.
Thanks, and if you go out in the next few days, I'm very, very painfully envious. July conditions in April though much bigger waves! Not sure if it gets any better. Outstanding!
All the best and enjoy.
George

Gman

Since 11 Feb 2006
4907 Posts
Portland
Unstrapped

PostFri Apr 17, 15 6:23 am     Reply with quote

george wrote:
registered wrote:

Any pics? I wanted to make the long journey through the night, but was thinking my soul would be crushed by the sea, and would've been driven away in shame and misery...
Would love to see how the waves look at any unnamed coastal jetty today and this evening. The cams don't seem to show as much as I wanted to see.
Thanks, and if you go out in the next few days, I'm very, very painfully envious. July conditions in April though much bigger waves! Not sure if it gets any better. Outstanding!
All the best and enjoy.
George

Newport had good wind but was closing out - the afternoon dead low new moon tide didn't help - the jetty was vibrating nicely and a guy jigging for lingcod was angling for a Darwin award - looked nice in cams AM but turned super ugly

Long period with some big calm gaps to get out if you were inclined (hard to resist) but our crew voted to live another day (the outgoing rip near the jetty didn't look the deschutes but more like the Colorado river...)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eu2pBpQolKE

george

Since 13 May 2012
31 Posts

PostFri Apr 17, 15 11:57 am     Reply with quote

Thanks very much Gman for the update. Too bad it didn't work for you that day, but it looks like you'll get some action over the next few days! Enjoy.
George

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: