Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Holbox Island kite trip

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Windance Crew

Since 18 Apr 2008
473 Posts
Hood River Kite Shop
Obsessed

PostMon Apr 06, 15 10:47 am    Holbox Island kite trip Reply with quote

I just got back from a week in Mexico at a kiting island off the Yucatan called Isla Holbox (pronounced Hole-bosh).

Great shallow, flat water kite spot, I used my 12m2 every day but I had my kids on 8m2 kites. They also have a side-on location for shorebreak wave-riding.

The local kite school (www.holboxkiteboarding) was super helpful. Pete & Donny were good sources of local knowledge on where and where not to kite. Definitely you are not supposed to kite in front of the hotels , I found that out the hard way and got hauled off by the cops. 150 pesos and a few smiles got me out quick though. Also beware of stingrays in the shallows, not tons of them, but they do hurt.

Sunsets, food, fishing and cocktails make this place pretty cool to visit. There are no cars (except for the cops) and the 8 roads they do have run golf carts or bikes only.

Dave

[img][/img]
[img][/img]
[img][/img]
[img][/img]

[img][/img]

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostMon Apr 06, 15 4:32 pm     Reply with quote

Nice!!! Screw the hotels, do they have a bar at the kite beach? Very Happy

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostMon Apr 06, 15 6:21 pm     Reply with quote

Loved Holbox when we were there in 07. Seen in Holbox: G'ma, G'pa, both parents, family of 7, and who's driving? An 8 year old Smile Gotta love rural Mexico.

Windance Crew

Since 18 Apr 2008
473 Posts
Hood River Kite Shop
Obsessed

PostWed Apr 08, 15 10:22 am     Reply with quote

Hey Nak,

No bar at the kite beach but if you stay at the closest hotel it's just a short hike. I just hit the little market for a cold one on the way back to the hotel, 30 pesos/beer.

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostWed Apr 08, 15 6:00 pm     Reply with quote

Cool. How do you get there? I'm guessing fly in to Cancun... What's the drill after that?

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostWed Apr 08, 15 6:09 pm     Reply with quote

Nak wrote:
Cool. How do you get there? I'm guessing fly in to Cancun... What's the drill after that?

There is a van service that runs from Cancun Int Airport to Isla Holbox, around 3+ hours to a ferry dock for the island. Funny, on our return to Seattle in one day we traveled by: golf cart, boat, van, airplane, train, and car in one day. That's some kind of record.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: