Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

wvx vs epx which is stronger for jumping

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostSun Apr 05, 15 10:36 am    wvx vs epx which is stronger for jumping Reply with quote

So to start off, I tend to break boards from jumping. I usually break a couple per season.

It either happens when I land a little sideways (and bust out the fin box), or I come down flat (sending the kite too late, or get dropped by a lull).

I'm currently considering the celeritas for my jumping board of choice.

So far, I have always been riding WVX, but am wondering if EPX might be a better choice for my huck board.

I understand that the WVX rides a little softer (better on the knees), and comes with better fins (replaceable), but I am just focusing on a jumping board for now. Something that will better withstand those "occasional" (I use this term loosely) bad landings.

I will probably be going the used route as I still expect to break whatever I buy... Just hoping to extend the life of my boards a little longer.

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostSun Apr 05, 15 3:05 pm     Reply with quote

The EPX was the model with white board and a graphic that looks like a dragon.
It's the stronger of the 2 constructions. I jumped the crap out of mine and I never even got a heel dent.
The Bamboo/woody WVX was meant for strapless riding and not for jumping. That's why they offered 2 styles of the same board.
I've owned 4 other surfboards that I jump, but all of them have cracked or have soft mushy heel dents.
I highly recommend the EPX model if you can find one.
Unfortunately SS don't make 2 models anymore, they only offer one type of construction for 2015.

North Pacific boards hold up well - they don't break - but they will develop huge mushy heel dents. They're also going for $1,000 for 2015.
Cabrinha surfboards are super expensive and fragile.
Naish boards seem to be bomber.

As far as fins go - I've never been a fan of the plastic fins that Slingshot supplies.
I get small swept backed fins in a stiff layup - I find the stiffer fins offer smoother carving bottom style turns (less bumping) and they point a little higher going upwind.
Future fins AM3 are the best in the smaller size.

I probably had 100 days on my 5'8" Celeritas EPX and when I sold it in was still in "new" condition.

Also - the first thing I do with a new surfboard is remove any stock pads it comes with and replace it with a dual density pad from North Shore in Hood River.
It's a one piece pad that covers the board from tail to mid section proving nice grip and padding for the heels and knees.

lloyd

Since 16 Aug 2007
108 Posts
Hood River
Stoked

PostSun Apr 05, 15 4:24 pm     Reply with quote

A couple of boards broken per season? Don't waste any more of your money on production boards. I've spent the last 3 years breaking boards as well. None of the production boards are built strong enough to handle the conditions in the Gorge. North Pacific's standard foam and glass layup is substantially more than any production board and they still get heal dents. Have a board made for you. Talk with the shaper and discuss your specific needs. They will build it right for you.

I had Gary Swanson from Cascade Performance Fiberglass make my current board. Green Density US Blanks foam (stronger), 1/4" stringer (stronger), 2 full wraps of 6oz. glass top and bottom, 6 oz patch on the deck running mid point to tail, then 2 layers of 6oz glass layed cross grain under the heals. 5 total layers of 6oz glass under the heals. Sounds like it might be heavy, but considering it's only a 5' 10" board, the extra weight is not that noticeable. And.... the shape is custom to my style, and it rips! I came up with that glass layup by talking to some of the old windsurf board shapers and I asked them what they would do to make a board strong enough for the Gorge.

Back in the days of windsurfing, any of the hard charging sailors who needed a board that wasn't going to break, had them made by the local shapers, Eric Schroder, Gary Swanson, Bob Dill, etc. All of those guys added more glass to make things stronger. More glass is the only way to make a board stronger, no way around it. The production boards just don't have a strong enough glass lay up.

In the Gorge if you want a board that won't break, buy it from someone who lives here and understands the conditions. Boards designed for Maui may surf great, but they don't last here.

There are advantages and disadvantages of Epoxy vs. Polyester boards. One is not necessarily stronger than the other. I believe one of the major differences in the SS boards you referenced is that one is Epoxy and one is Polyester. My recommendation is to call up either Gary Swanson or Art Colyer and arrange a time to talk with them about making a board for you. Both will spend the time with you to discuss all aspects of the board.

knotwindy

Since 25 Sep 2011
598 Posts

Addicted

PostSun Apr 05, 15 7:02 pm     Reply with quote

Or check out Doyle. He used to design for Slingy and is now making his own boards in the classic Doyle blue and they ride really well and are bomber strong but a bit spendy

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostSun Apr 05, 15 7:20 pm     Reply with quote

ldhr wrote:

Naish boards seem to be bomber.

Funny you should say this. I rode a Naish most of last summer. I think it was EPS. The thing really took a beating. I came down hard and flat on that thing more times than I can count. When I finally did break it, it actually made me laugh. I had always referred to it as my unbreakable board.

This is what got me thinking that the EPX version may be stronger than the WVX.

Thanks LDHR for confirming what I was thinking might be the case.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: