Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Portuguese Man o Wars

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Scribble

Since 18 Nov 2005
636 Posts
NoPo
Addicted

PostSun Dec 17, 06 10:17 am    Portuguese Man o Wars Reply with quote

Do they have Man o Wars or stinging jellyfish in Baja? How bad are they this time of year in Baja (La Ventana)? I grew up with them so they don't freak me out. My fiance will be learning to kite so I'm wondering precautions so that she doesn't hate kiteboarding.

Andy

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2062 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostSun Dec 17, 06 2:14 pm    Re: Portuguese Man o Wars Reply with quote

Scribble wrote:
Do they have Man o Wars or stinging jellyfish in Baja? How bad are they this time of year in Baja (La Ventana)? I grew up with them so they don't freak me out. My fiance will be learning to kite so I'm wondering precautions so that she doesn't hate kiteboarding.

Andy

I never saw any jellyfish when I was down there last yr in late Jan/Feb. Water was cold enough for me to wear a full wetsuit (i'd rather be too hot than cold) so that significantly cutdown on any potential exposure to stings from jellyfish. The things to worry about are the sting rays, urchins and rocks in the shallows. There are also the dead puffer fish that wash ashore (puffers are a casualty of the local fishermen). If your girlfriend is learning, then a good pair of booties probably is a good call. . . A good rule of thumb I was given by Jim and Corey at NewWindkiteschool (stayed at their place) is just don't touch the bottom. Plus all the lessons ect. . . that i witnessed were done in deep water and with radios, so if your girlfriend is going to be taking lessons by the pros or by yourself, she probably will be spending lots of time in the water. Keep her warm with a full body wetsuit, it will preserve her strength and coordination for kite lessons and not wasting it on herself by trying to keep herself warm. . . that is my 2 cents

Have fun! It's a great place. . .

Gman

Since 11 Feb 2006
4907 Posts
Portland
Unstrapped

PostSun Dec 17, 06 8:46 pm     Reply with quote

Haven't seen any Man o wars - but after my first session last year stepped off my board an square onto a sea urchin - wore booties next time out then sixed them - just a bit more aware whats on the bottom.

tstansbury

Since 06 Jun 2006
649 Posts
Rowena and P.C
Addicted

PostMon Dec 18, 06 7:42 am     Reply with quote

saw lots of them at padre. What is it like to get stung by one.

Gman

Since 11 Feb 2006
4907 Posts
Portland
Unstrapped

PostMon Dec 18, 06 11:44 am     Reply with quote

Can be pretty awful - was kiting in Ft.Lauderdale and there hundreds of ManoWars on the beach and in the water - they'll appear on any onshore wind (there like balloons).

Guess I was pretty lucky as I cruised around in them - so I'm walking down the beach among the dead ones and a wisp of wind grabs a tendril (they can have dozens) and the single strand whips up in the air and wrapps around my ankle six or seven times. Stings like a mofo - imagine if you got hit by a fat one around the neck you could die.

Long story short - the sting wasn't too bad -but I had an allergic reation to the thing and I'm sweating through my clothes and feet are glowin bright red welts on the flight back - people start to move away from the Ebola man - until i could get my hands on some Benydrl.

pjc

Since 06 Mar 2005
649 Posts

Addicted

PostMon Dec 18, 06 1:30 pm     Reply with quote

i have heard that you don't need a thick layer to protect yourself from jellyfish. i.e. a rash gaurd or even thinner will work. pantyhose works, and even lots of body hair can provide protection. (all heard second hand from an auzzie surfer type, maybe he was putting me on)

i've been nailed by lettle jelly fish type things in la ventana. was a little weirded out the first time it happened, but it was really mild and just ignored it thereafter. apparently it was unusual to have any jelly fish at all in that area.

been nailed by a stingray in the foot in la ventana. that hurt lots, but was all better in a few hours. (put it in real hot water helps)

my recollection is these events were pretty mild in comparison to the heavy psychological and physical trauma of trying to waterstart the first time. so if your fiance doesn't take to kiting i wouldn't blame it on baja.

good luck.

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostMon Dec 18, 06 1:45 pm     Reply with quote

pjc wrote:
i have heard that you don't need a thick layer to protect yourself from jellyfish. i.e. a rash gaurd or even thinner will work. pantyhose works

sweet! been looking for an excuse to strap on some pantyhose! Wink

Scribble

Since 18 Nov 2005
636 Posts
NoPo
Addicted

PostMon Dec 18, 06 6:25 pm     Reply with quote

Well not being able to touch the bottom kinda ruins my plans of hoping she can stay in some shallow water while she gets a feel for relaunching a kite. Was hopin I didn't have to dish out the money for a lesson but it may be the best bet if you cant even touch the bottom in the shallows. If you wear good boodies is it still not a good idea to walk around on bottom?

thanks for the info otherwise I would have had some messed up feet.
Andy

pjc

Since 06 Mar 2005
649 Posts

Addicted

PostTue Dec 19, 06 9:48 am     Reply with quote

it's only shallow for a very short distance, and while the beach you launch from is sandy there are rocks beginning at the waters edge. (perhaps different now since the hurricane). i'd reccommend booties if only to save your soles from scraping. likely those stingrays can still hit you through the booties, but maybe not.

it's not one of those shallow water - super easy relaunch places like SPI or hatteras.

it is nice to have the catchers mitt beach that wraps around and captures everyone who goes downwind. you can go very deep there and not worry about being swept out to sea.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: