Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Maui in May

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
G103

Since 22 Jul 2014
52 Posts

PostFri Feb 06, 15 2:47 pm    Maui in May Reply with quote

My wife and I are going to Maui in May for lessons. Would love comments on were to stay, take lessons, and......
Thank you.

flying69

Since 09 Jun 2014
7 Posts

Kook

PostFri Feb 06, 15 5:13 pm    re: Maui Reply with quote

Head into the Naish store and they will hook you up with some great instructors. Usually lots of places on the North shore listed on Craigslist. Options for all budgets.

1surfer

Since 20 Apr 2010
354 Posts
'Ualapu'e / High Rockies
Obsessed

PostFri Feb 06, 15 7:10 pm    KSM Reply with quote

KSM See Chuck.

Gman

Since 11 Feb 2006
4907 Posts
Portland
Unstrapped

PostFri Feb 06, 15 7:34 pm     Reply with quote

Dave & Suzie are awesome - also direct you towards lodging

http://www.actionsportsmaui.com

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eu2pBpQolKE

1surfer

Since 20 Apr 2010
354 Posts
'Ualapu'e / High Rockies
Obsessed

PostSat Feb 07, 15 8:08 am    No Reply with quote

Actions sports and its owners are not liked on Maui. They have done some horrible and unethical things to the instructors and they have ZERO credibility on Maui. If you don't believe this then search the Maui County court records under Dave Dorn. People who don't live or spend time on Maui may think they are great but the people who kite and teach kiting on Maui do not want them around anymore. They have no friends and a horrible reputation on Maui.

They can't get anyone to work for them there. They need to import instructors from other countries. When the instructors arrive and find out how disrespected Action Sports is, they either leave or move over and work for another school

The days of Action being a respected school on Maui are over and have been over for a couple of years.

They have no friends in the kite world on Maui. NONE.

C Johnson

Since 17 Apr 2009
853 Posts
Seattle
Opinionated

PostSat Feb 07, 15 11:11 pm    Re: No Reply with quote

1surfer wrote:
Actions sports and its owners are not liked on Maui. They have done some horrible and unethical things to the instructors and they have ZERO credibility on Maui. If you don't believe this then search the Maui County court records under Dave Dorn. People who don't live or spend time on Maui may think they are great but the people who kite and teach kiting on Maui do not want them around anymore. They have no friends and a horrible reputation on Maui.

They can't get anyone to work for them there. They need to import instructors from other countries. When the instructors arrive and find out how disrespected Action Sports is, they either leave or move over and work for another school

The days of Action being a respected school on Maui are over and have been over for a couple of years.

They have no friends in the kite world on Maui. NONE.

Hmm. Could you possibly post links to the stuff you're talking about. I searched for Dave Dorn Maui County Court and only found some meeting minutes where he was talking about parks departments and penalties for kiting outside of the allowed time slots. Since you are clearly throwing them under the bus and undermining their business you should back it up with some kind of credibility.

I have no affiliation with Action Sports Maui. Last year I had a pleasant experience renting gear from them while traveling to maui for the first time. They were very polite, had competitive rates and had a very nice store.

The wind was marginal on the day I rented a board so I was only gone for about an hour. They didn't even charge me for the rental even though I did get a short session in. Great Service!

Regarding foreigners working there, there was actually several customers (windsurfers) who didn't speak english (I think it was french maybe?) At any rate it was pretty clear that ASM was able to provide the value added service of multi lingual services which I was really surprised to see in Maui. Point being, maybe they hire international people for the store and schools for other reasons than what you are pointing out.

Overall I hope you're wrong because that would suck if there is such a dispute. I suppose its possible they are hated for various reasons I don't understand. So please show us rather then just posting hate with no facts or evidence.

Last edited by C Johnson on Sat Feb 07, 15 11:15 pm; edited 1 time in total

C Johnson

Since 17 Apr 2009
853 Posts
Seattle
Opinionated

PostSat Feb 07, 15 11:13 pm     Reply with quote

headed to Maui April 24th-28th for a short kiting & wedding planning trip.

Plan to rent a surfboard from Action Sports Maui again since they have a nice selection of Cabrinha gear (my preference) available to rent.

Pray for big waves and strong winds!

C Johnson

Since 17 Apr 2009
853 Posts
Seattle
Opinionated

PostSat Feb 07, 15 11:25 pm     Reply with quote

Last year we booked a condo in Paia through www.kitehousemaui.com

Paia is definitely one of the more fun, cultural and walkable towns on Maui.

I'd highly recommend it.

this April we are staying in Kihei in a condo we booked through VBRO.com We picked Kihei this time because were planning a wedding there next year and wanted to get a better feel for what its like to stay there. Otherwise we would probably book in Paia again.

jeffwestco

Since 21 Jan 2014
23 Posts

PostSun Feb 08, 15 10:26 am     Reply with quote

I'm a second recommendation for KSM specifically Chuck (Charles). I took lessons from him in 2012 and he was still there this October as energetic and friendly.

As for lodging we've always used VRBO and have found great places - sort of depends on where you want to be.

Have a great time!

sromano1995

Since 22 May 2013
240 Posts
Portland
Stoked

PostSun Feb 08, 15 2:37 pm     Reply with quote

Chiming in to also recommend Chuck (I am assuming we are talking about the same guy: Charles Edwards). I couldn't remember his name but I followed my great friend Helen as she took her first lesson back in October 2013 from him. If you want to get a feel for Charles and what a first lesson in Maui looks like, you can see him in action (and the teaching site in Maui) at the beginning of this video between 0:15 and 0:50.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4MNvm9i_cs

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2573 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostSun Feb 08, 15 4:27 pm     Reply with quote

Yeah 1Surfer fill us in. I rented a couple SUP's from Dave and Susie last winter in Kihei. They had the best prices, not the greatest boards, but were right across from the best break so I could leave my board there and not hassle with hauling it back and forth to the condo. My wife tanked her's right onto a coral head causing a major hull breach...Dave was reasonable about it.

I was always into staying on the north shore, but Kihei is SUNNY, easy to get around and convenient. Paia is cool but such a traffic cluster these days.

macgruber

Since 06 Dec 2011
490 Posts
SE PDX volcano
Obsessed

PostSun Feb 08, 15 10:47 pm     Reply with quote

I learned on Maui with Aquasports Maui. They were very interested in my success and rescheduled for the best wind with no fuss. $650 now for a 3 day 9 hour lesson. I lucked out and got a good instructor who really gave me 11 hours with 9 actual water hours. I'd windsurfed for 20 years and flown a trainer for 10 hours which got me riding upwind by the end. I think I could have progressed even faster with wake boarding experience. Warm water, steady 12 meter wind, and new beginner gear helped too. The downside was crowds and the instructors just walked the beach and yelled to you. I was there at Thanksgiving though and had a long winter before I could get going in the Gorge. You should be able to take lessons in Oregon if you don't get it going on. Around Portland, Jones Beach is the best beginner spot I've seen. Air pirates? teaches there with radio headsets and no crowds. The wind is a lot steadier than the event site and the beach is a mile of sand.

I usually stay in Kihei too for the sun. The Maui Sunset condos has the best kiting in kihei but not for beginners. We usually stay at Keawaukapu beach at some 70's condos (Hale Hui Kai and the Mana Kai). It's the best kids beach with more sand, cleaner water, and less seaweed the Northern Kihei. Manaloha rentacar has cheap older cars that don't require an airport shuttle for pickup/dropoff, saves a ton of time and money.

bulae99

Since 12 Jul 2006
1691 Posts

I give out bad advice.

PostWed Feb 11, 15 1:23 pm    Aquasports is the best Reply with quote

Karen L is a great instructor and only hires certified instructors with experience.

Maui is not a bad place to learn, but not the best either.

Staying in Maui? Check out craigslist for vacation rentals and airbnb. Staying in Kehei is more fun and less driving.

Bring some good booties that stay on your feet! In general you'll be learning in spots that have coral and rocks under foot.

Bring your own long sleeve water shirt to keep the sun off you. Your own helmet might not be a bad idea either.

Good luck!

DROCK999

Since 31 May 2007
852 Posts
Left Coast
Opinionated

PostThu Feb 19, 15 9:58 pm     Reply with quote

HST is awesome and so is maui kitesurf school (kiting.com). HST has been around forever for good reason and MKS has been getting really good feedback here.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: