Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Baja Car Rental - **WARNING** Avoid FOX Rental

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
scottjk

Since 28 Dec 2011
49 Posts

PostMon Jan 26, 15 4:59 pm    Baja Car Rental - **WARNING** Avoid FOX Rental Reply with quote

I've been visiting Baja for a number of years. In the past I have always used Antonio at Cactus Car Rental. They just built a new facility at the SJD airport and his prices are not as good as they use to be but I have discovered they are still competitive.

**WARNING** Do not think you are going to get the car rental rate you sign up for on Travelocity, Orbitz or whatever rental website you use. You will not get that rate unless you use AVIS.

**WARNING** DO NOT USE FOX CAR RENTAL!!! They will bait you with the lowest price on Travelocity ect... then whack you with inflated required insurance. ALL the rental car companies with lower rates than AVIS will do this. FOX is just the worst.

While staying in Los Barrilles last week I talked to a couple guys who rented a 4wd Jeep from Fox and prepaid $275 for the week. When the arrived they were given a standard 2wd car which they refused and then given a Suzuki 4wd. On top of that they were charged an additional $400 a week for insurance.

The current competitive going rate for a compact car in SJD is $30-$35 a day including all insurance and taxes. You are getting screwed if you are paying more than this.

Gil

Since 26 Jan 2015
1 Posts
Portland

PostMon Jan 26, 15 6:27 pm     Reply with quote

Plus 1 for Antonio at Cactus

eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1803 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostMon Jan 26, 15 9:06 pm     Reply with quote

Antonio's price is his price. No funny business with him--ever.

Eric

Anthony

Since 07 Oct 2008
362 Posts
Salem
Obsessed

CGKA Member

PostTue Jan 27, 15 8:37 am     Reply with quote

I have had bad experiences through Budget. With all the hassle in Baja's lately, car rentals and police stops. Maui would be cheaper! I just did Oahu for $275 with a new Honda Civic, 4 door for a week. That would have been a $600+ in SJD.

Trip Advisor for Cars at SJD says everything we have been saying.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g152516-i209-k5030724-Best_rental_car_companies_at_Cabo_airport-San_Jose_del_Cabo_Los_Cabos_Baja_California.html

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2570 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostTue Jan 27, 15 8:46 am     Reply with quote

Just back. Rented from Thrifty, $275 for 9 days for a somewhat dated but functional Jetta. They honored the base rate I booked on their website but tried like hell to sell me their collision coverage.

Here's my takeaways...

Insurance:

Liability is the only required insurance and the minimum legal required insurance is supposed to be included in your base rate. So legally you don't have to purchase any liability insurance however most concur you should get the additional liability for ~$17 bucks/day. (We did a lot of driving through SJD and Cabo...many 4 way rolling stop intersections...crazy.)

Collision/Damage/Theft Not legally required but the rental car company isn't going to chance you trashing their car so they will want to put a hold on your card for the entire value of the car, or sell you the spendy collision insurance, UNLESS you bring proof that your are covered. I checked with 3 of my credit cards and my Bank of America (Alaska) Visa had the best coverage. They sent me a letter and I took it in. Thrifty said they can't deal directly with a US insurance co. so they still put a 3K hold on my card, but better than full value.

They tried over and over to scare me into the collision insurance. Then came the wheeling and dealing. It's clear they get a huge commission from it cause it's pure profit for them. It took forever to get our car and get out of there.

I went with Thrifty because they appeared to be closer to the airport and they published the liability cost on their site. But you have to take a shuttle to any of the agencies so don't choose based on location.

In the end I was satisfied with Thrifty. Thumb's Up

Gman

Since 11 Feb 2006
4907 Posts
Portland
Unstrapped

PostTue Jan 27, 15 1:25 pm     Reply with quote

have had good luck with AMEX flat $25/per rental period (1 to 42 days)

mostly have it for theft coverage when traveling - worldwide cept
Australia, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Jamaica, and New Zealand

https://www295.americanexpress.com/premium/car-rental-insurance-coverage/home.do?intlink=premiumprotecthub_browsepromos_pcrpmonitoring&intlink=us-CCSG-NAC-CarRental-LearnMore

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eu2pBpQolKE

BSRHOADS

Since 06 Oct 2006
24 Posts

PostTue Jan 27, 15 1:33 pm    FOX Reply with quote

Stick to your guns!!!!!! I printed off a copy of their insurances off their website and told them exactly what i wanted. They try to upsell the crap out of you. Ended up paying $266 for 6 days. This was yesterday, newer Jetta. Good luck.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: