Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Cabo Car rental

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Jackal

Since 17 Dec 2005
147 Posts
WS
Stoked

PostThu Nov 13, 14 10:03 pm    Cabo Car rental Reply with quote

In the past I've been dinged with the third party liability insurance- it's been a couple years since I've rented a car though.

Wondering if anyone has had any luck in the past year paying the price you reserved the car for and not paying the third party liability. Good news is the car rentals right now are dirt cheap- $50 for 10 days.

I'd love to hear a success story!

thanks,

Chris

Freeride Kiter

Since 08 Jul 2011
698 Posts
Alaska / PNW / Baja
Instructor

PostFri Nov 14, 14 6:52 am     Reply with quote

I'm still using Dominic or Cactus for vehicle rentals there. After getting jammed with the combination of optional and mandatory insurances by the national rental companies I have been using them.

eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1803 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostFri Nov 14, 14 7:28 am     Reply with quote

Antonio at Cactus.

You will pay the price agreed upon when you reserve, and not a penny more. Honest guy, good English, family man. Prices vary by season, of course, but no BS when it's time to pay.

Eric

OG

Since 07 Jun 2011
533 Posts

Addicted

PostFri Nov 14, 14 8:20 am     Reply with quote

sounds like antonio at cactus is the way to go.

The experience ive had going down this year/last year is that you either need to pay for insurance, or have a charge of several thousand dollars sit on your card until the card has been returned and passes inspection.

Windian

Since 28 Apr 2008
880 Posts
Newport, OR
NEWPORT OG

PostFri Nov 14, 14 9:38 am     Reply with quote

Some credit cards have international auto insurance as a benefit when you put the rental charge on that card. I have Citibank AAdvantage Mastercard which has always been accepted by the foreign car rental agencies.

Question

bandito

Since 07 May 2005
178 Posts

Photographer

PostSat Nov 15, 14 6:00 am     Reply with quote

Cactus! Best price and Antonio is the man if you ever have any problems.
www.cactuscar.com
Lee

Anthony

Since 07 Oct 2008
362 Posts
Salem
Obsessed

CGKA Member

PostSat Nov 15, 14 10:24 am     Reply with quote

A car that has space and gets me from A to B is all I want. For 95 percent of the time that works great. It is that 5 percent I want to talk about. In Cozumel, I had flat tire on a Jeep that I had to drive for two miles before I got back to the north end of the Island. With a little Spanish help from my Kiteboarding instructor, I was able to contact LessPay Auto (an island local) and get another Jeep in less than an hour and was comped a day of rental. That worked great! I got the full no deduct coverage.

In Cabo, I bought the full insurance (ouch$$$$) from Budget. This was my third time renting a car from Budget. First two in La Paz and last one in Cabo. I had a little ding from someone. In the US, the ding would have been a 600 dollar repair, in Cabo it was only 90 dollars. I will take a 90 dollar charge and go. I thought I had full insurance, but down on Baja Sur most insurance policies do not pay until $1500 or 10% of the car value is meet. I did have some coverage with my American Express card but did not test it for only a $90 charge.

What is other peoples experience with accidents or damage from Car Rental in Baja Sur? How did the insurance you bought cover you? Now I get rides to LV.

Jackal

Since 17 Dec 2005
147 Posts
WS
Stoked

PostSun Nov 16, 14 12:14 pm    what the car rental companies say exactly about 3party Reply with quote

So it looks like Cactus is it- thanks for the info- no one has gotten around the third party then?

windian- in Mexico the CC does not cover third party liability- its a made up law for the rental companies

Here's the verbiage- I'll let you know if I can find a workaround if I don't go through Cactus.

"Deductible Protection Coverage (DP) is sold locally at a cost of $10.00USD/day (Mini, Economy, Compact, Intermediate, Standard and Fullsize) , all others will be at a rate of $12.00 USD/day. This coverage reduces CDW deductible amount to $0.

CDW does not include Third Party Liability. In Mexico, Third Party Liability insurance is required on all vehicles. Customers have the options to: (1) purchase Third Party Liability (TPL) Insurance; or (2) show proof of a valid current liability insurance policy specifying coverage in Mexico and agree to an additional security deposit in the amount of $2,500 USD to be held on their credit card. Liability insurance products purchased on third party travel websites are not acceptable forms of coverage. Liability insurance products purchased on third party travel websites are not acceptable forms of coverage. The maximum coverage is $70,000 USD. All one-way rentals are subject to a drop charge."

foghater

Since 31 Aug 2008
135 Posts

Stoked

PostMon Nov 17, 14 9:46 pm     Reply with quote

I was just quoted $600 for 10 days through Cactus which includes all insurance fees etc. Granted thats for the week around XMAS. Still seems steep. Gonna shop around some more I think. Jackal- Let me know what you end up going with.

OG

Since 07 Jun 2011
533 Posts

Addicted

PostTue Nov 18, 14 7:21 am     Reply with quote

foghater wrote:
I was just quoted $600 for 10 days through Cactus which includes all insurance fees etc. Granted thats for the week around XMAS. Still seems steep. Gonna shop around some more I think. Jackal- Let me know what you end up going with.

depending on the car, $600 hundle on the chundle sounds about right. We got the little car to keep it cheap, took those roof top surfboard pads, towels, straps, to help fit it all in. I think we were around $350 to $400 with insurance for a week.

Anthony

Since 07 Oct 2008
362 Posts
Salem
Obsessed

CGKA Member

PostTue Nov 18, 14 7:58 am     Reply with quote

This is what Budget gave me for cost for Dec 3- Dec 10, 7 days on an intermediate car. $71 a day. At least at Budget web site you get the final cost without the hidden fees. The rental car attendants have been slightly disappointed when I arrive with all the cost on the web site instead of at the counter. For Cabo always go though the company website to get keep the cost down. With secondary sellers like Travelocity or Priceline there will be hidden charges. I did that once, never again!

car 54.00
equipment & services 0.00

Supplemental Liability Insurance 104.30
Loss Damage Waiver 189.00
Personal Accident and Effects 27.65

concession recovery 56.24
fees 1.84
taxes 69.28

$ 502.31 ESTIMATED TOTAL (USD)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: