Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

FYI United Airlines Winter oversized baggage embargo

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Surf Dude

Since 04 Jul 2008
73 Posts
Mosier, OR

PostSat Nov 08, 14 9:38 am    FYI United Airlines Winter oversized baggage embargo Reply with quote

United Airlines has a Winter excess baggage embargo that does not allow oversized baggage during the period from 11/15/14/to 1/15/15. This includes many destinations in Mexico (Cabo) and the Caribbean. The link below shows the entire list of destinations.

Link to embargo
http://www.united.com/web/en-US/content/travel/baggage/embargo.aspx

Link to sports equipment
http://www.united.com/web/en-US/content/travel/baggage/sports.aspx

Anthony

Since 07 Oct 2008
362 Posts
Salem
Obsessed

CGKA Member

PostSat Nov 08, 14 12:22 pm     Reply with quote

That is nothing new. Many airlines that travel through Mexico City Airport do that around the Holiday Season. It sucks for us sports people.

Surf Dude

Since 04 Jul 2008
73 Posts
Mosier, OR

PostSat Nov 08, 14 2:03 pm     Reply with quote

I am flying pdx to Cabo tomorrow via San Francisco and it applies to me on my return in Dec. Fortunately I can leave my boards in the Baja until I return in the spring. This oversized baggage embargo was a big shock to me, it is not something I would normally check out (until now) before booking a flight. Wouldn't want to go to airport to find I can't check an oversized board bag.

Just wanted to give a heads up to others look before you book.

LVDWD

Since 04 May 2009
103 Posts

Stoked

PostSun Nov 09, 14 10:53 am     Reply with quote

Thanks for posting that. Not heard of any such thing. Flying down to Baja on United during that period fortunately my surf board this year has gone ahead. Always fly Alaska when I can but had some miles to use up on United. Try to use United as little as possible, Alaska way more friendly.

Freeride Kiter

Since 08 Jul 2011
698 Posts
Alaska / PNW / Baja
Instructor

PostMon Nov 10, 14 5:49 am     Reply with quote

If you or your company are "Known shippers" try the airlines cargo option to your destination. They usually charge by dimension (Alaska Airlines) I've shipped boards , buggies and boxes that way for the same if not less than over sized or third bag. Items were there in the cargo office waiting for me.

Anthony

Since 07 Oct 2008
362 Posts
Salem
Obsessed

CGKA Member

PostWed Nov 12, 14 8:28 am     Reply with quote

You have my interest. As an individual is there a list of Know shippers available to the public? Shipping to Mexico with in a month or so of December is not going to get easier. With so many Mexicans traveling home for Christmas and The new Mexican Requirement to only allow clothing made in Mexico to be sold there (NPR report), makes bringing clothing from the USA a good deal for them.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: