Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Oregon Coast Weather Forecasting Winter

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
WindSki

Since 14 Dec 2012
402 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostSun Nov 02, 14 8:49 am    Oregon Coast Weather Forecasting Winter Reply with quote

OK, you Coast experts. Any advice for forecasting weather for winter coast conditions? Is the NOAA forecast good to go by?

Windian

Since 28 Apr 2008
881 Posts
Newport, OR
NEWPORT OG

PostSun Nov 02, 14 7:34 pm     Reply with quote

If you are going to just use another's forecast rather than doing it yourself. NOAA is the best for the coastal winds.

However, if you are going to learn to do it yourself, there are some great sources of intel available on the internet. Here is one I use almost religiously:

http://www.atmos.washington.edu/mm5rt/

Good luck figuring it out.

Question Idea Arrow

Inflictor

Since 17 Aug 2013
146 Posts

Stoked

PostThu Nov 06, 14 6:51 am    get into it yourself Reply with quote

MJ (windian) and I have been doing our own forecasting for years and the most important thing is to keep an eye on these models every day and get to know their tendencies. after a while(like 20 yrs or so) you'll get it! For instance, me and my buddy will be getting great 6 m conditions TODAY out east in 65 degrees with 60 degree water while everyone else is waiting for some kinda south wind event at the coast in the future. It becomes almost as much fun nailing the forecast as ripping in it!!!

barfly

Since 31 Mar 2005
1210 Posts
Seaside
BRACKISH

PostThu Nov 06, 14 1:20 pm     Reply with quote

Agree it is fair to say that NOAA will provide enough good info to plan a full day to catching a session if you are talking about southerlies. Been here for 12+ years and within a day is the best you are going to get, though that UW model mash is pretty accurate most of the time. South wind is inconsistent and can blow one way for a couple hours then another or not at all for another couple. By "way" I don't mean direction as much as strength, to include or exclude rain and squalls. If NOAA says it is going to blow with rain 15+ you're in!! Come git it

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: