Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Foil Boards
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
J.P.

Since 10 Mar 2005
638 Posts

Addicted

PostSat Sep 27, 14 6:35 pm     Reply with quote

Dog Patrol wrote:
Must be no wind around here cause too much testosterone on the forum instead of the water!!

There was plenty of it in SeaTown today Very Happy

UPWIND LAUNCH OF A SPORT

stringy

Since 23 Jun 2006
1726 Posts
vancouver
XTreme Poster

PostSat Sep 27, 14 9:58 pm     Reply with quote

F-One NW wrote:
I agree with User 124 because this thread has nothing to do with Foil boards anymore and I have no idea what he/she is talking about.

no shit.

come on jp let's just focus on what the original poster asked for and live without the colorful chatter amongst angry boys.
we all know about squamish and it's high quality wind. no need to promote that locale to a bunch of gorge wind junkies. the gorge is our backyard.
if these guys start foilboarding, it's gonna happen in the gorge.
back to skipjack. hey if you wanna foil hit up joe the kiter. his mission is to get as many kiters riding foils as he can. so far he's been successful introducing kiters to foiling in the gorge. wind is light lately making it the best foiling conditions.

J.P.

Since 10 Mar 2005
638 Posts

Addicted

PostSun Sep 28, 14 6:15 am     Reply with quote

stringy wrote:

no shit.

come on jp let's just focus on what the original poster asked for and live without the colorful chatter amongst angry boys.

No shit!

Stringy, that is my intent and ts my hope that Gators & Bammers bow shots will subside!

skipjack wrote:
For those riders out there that have ridden a foil board for a year or more my question is are you still having a blast with the new experience or are you just so so with the ride after getting through the learning curve? I'm very interested in buying one but for the money I better enjoy it for a long time. All responses would be appreciated along with the time period you have been riding a foil.

Jim, I'll repose Skipjack's original post to help all get back on that tangent.

The winds coming up and i must share, Foiling on a 10m in Seatown while others are mowing the lawn on 14's, is DOPE!!!!!! Very Happy

UPWIND LAUNCH OF A SPORT

wonderbra

Since 28 Sep 2014
3 Posts

Kook

PostSun Sep 28, 14 6:09 pm     Reply with quote

Kite fight.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sl3qWHkqfI8

skipjack

Since 19 Sep 2014
5 Posts

Kook

PostMon Sep 29, 14 3:47 am     Reply with quote

Thanks for all the interesting input and also the local testosterone. You have helped me make the decision of buying a slingshot foil to arrive sometime in dec. I resorted to that board because it is designed to be able to change the existing foils as one progresses and not have to buy a new board so over the long period it will work out to be cheaper. Also one will be able to change foils according to your different desires for that day of riding such going faster or what ever style a foil has to offer in the future and only have to have one board. That option is not available with the Liquid Force which also has just an aluminum tower which distorts.

J.P.

Since 10 Mar 2005
638 Posts

Addicted

PostMon Sep 29, 14 6:21 am     Reply with quote

skipjack wrote:
Thanks for all the interesting input and also the local testosterone. You have helped me make the decision of buying a slingshot foil to arrive sometime in dec. .

I came very close to adding a deep tuttle to my T-Rex this April but ended up selling it when I found a super cheap deal ($100) on a fish.

I'm still toying with adding one to my Screamer, time will tell.

foill.jpg 

UPWIND LAUNCH OF A SPORT

eabmoto

Since 10 May 2012
107 Posts
seattle
Stoked

PostMon Sep 29, 14 7:30 am     Reply with quote

Wow, That's a classic from way back. A board from the old Canyon surf shop in San Diego. Rusty Priesindorfer shaped out of that shop in the beginning.

J.P.

Since 10 Mar 2005
638 Posts

Addicted

PostMon Sep 29, 14 8:42 am     Reply with quote

eabmoto wrote:
Wow, That's a classic from way back. A board from the old Canyon surf shop in San Diego. Rusty Priesindorfer shaped out of that shop in the beginning.

I wish I could honestly say I knew that but.....

I’ve converted a couple of boards this summer, if you’re going to go with a tuttle mount foil you’ll need a board that 2-3/8” thick.
“Fishes” that are short fat & wide work really well.

UPWIND LAUNCH OF A SPORT

Slappysan

Since 13 Jun 2012
308 Posts

Obsessed

PostMon Sep 29, 14 9:05 am     Reply with quote

J.P. wrote:
once you look at the Chief, you'll be bouncing off the walls until you jump it. Very Happy not sure if your wing suit would work there but the spit is an obvious LZ if you can.

The Chief has been wingsuit jumped a few times, but I think it's officially illegal as you have to go over high voltage power lines and a freeway to get to the LZ (which is a gravel field near the log sort).

You also only get about 10 seconds of wingsuiting before you have to pop your chute.

J.P.

Since 10 Mar 2005
638 Posts

Addicted

PostMon Sep 29, 14 9:18 am     Reply with quote

Slappysan wrote:
J.P. wrote:
once you look at the Chief, you'll be bouncing off the walls until you jump it. Very Happy not sure if your wing suit would work there but the spit is an obvious LZ if you can.

The Chief has been wingsuit jumped a few times, but I think it's officially illegal as you have to go over high voltage power lines and a freeway to get to the LZ (which is a gravel field near the log sort).

You also only get about 10 seconds of wingsuiting before you have to pop your chute.

Does the new Sea to Sky Gondi provide provide a jump point?

http://www.seatoskygondola.com/

UPWIND LAUNCH OF A SPORT

J.P.

Since 10 Mar 2005
638 Posts

Addicted

PostMon Sep 29, 14 7:59 pm     Reply with quote

Link

UPWIND LAUNCH OF A SPORT

srch4wind

Since 27 Mar 2011
11 Posts

PostMon Sep 29, 14 8:56 pm    board reinforcement Reply with quote

what are you using to reinforce it around the tuttle box?

J.P.

Since 10 Mar 2005
638 Posts

Addicted

PostMon Sep 29, 14 10:36 pm     Reply with quote

Not much and all has been well despite the beatings it's subjected me to.

2 layers of 5.6 oz carbon, top & bottom with a 4" margin on all sides of the cassette.

http://www.fiberglasssupply.com/Product_Catalog/SurfSailcom/surfsailcom.html
Item # R53-4313 4. 75" Flanged Tuttle Fin Box, Waterat $69.04

box.jpg 

UPWIND LAUNCH OF A SPORT

J.P.

Since 10 Mar 2005
638 Posts

Addicted

PostMon Sep 29, 14 10:43 pm     Reply with quote

fyi, frm spotz

positionSpotz.jpg 

UPWIND LAUNCH OF A SPORT

J.P.

Since 10 Mar 2005
638 Posts

Addicted

PostFri Oct 03, 14 5:33 pm     Reply with quote

Slappysan wrote:

http://vimeo.com/107779601

UPWIND LAUNCH OF A SPORT

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: