Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Golf Bag

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
TomMac

Since 08 Feb 2007
72 Posts
White Salmon, WA

PostTue Sep 30, 14 9:21 am    Golf Bag Reply with quote

Does the Golf Bag still work with most of the Airlines? Headed to LV in December, trying to decide what to take

Thanks

Tom

WINDUDE

Since 10 Jun 2010
557 Posts
GORGE!
Addicted

PostTue Sep 30, 14 9:36 am     Reply with quote

story still has not changed. It is up to who is behind the counter. Be on your best behavior, and realize that they deal with dick wads all day. Make their day, and they will make your travels easy!!

Windance Crew

Since 18 Apr 2008
473 Posts
Hood River Kite Shop
Obsessed

PostTue Sep 30, 14 9:39 am     Reply with quote

Still works, a little. Be sure to plop your frequent flyer card on the counter & then smile.

Just be sure your bag is not over 50 lbs. They won't allow even 1 lb over. I suggest packing your bar/lines in your clothing bag to reduce weight.

Also I just found out a DaKine 190cm. wheeled Club Wagon bag fits a 5'11" directional with enough room for lots of nose and rail padding. Now you can take your surf board and kites all in one bag. Sweet.

TomMac

Since 08 Feb 2007
72 Posts
White Salmon, WA

PostTue Sep 30, 14 10:03 am    Golf Bag Reply with quote

That bag which is big enough for directionals is probably an extra charge?

Windance Crew

Since 18 Apr 2008
473 Posts
Hood River Kite Shop
Obsessed

PostTue Sep 30, 14 10:14 am     Reply with quote

Probably cost a little.
For example Alaska is free under 50lbs if the length + width + height is 62" or less.
If it's 63"-115" then it's $75. Which this bag is.

soona

Since 27 Sep 2009
72 Posts

PostTue Sep 30, 14 10:18 am     Reply with quote

Checking bags curbside often gets better treatment (less likely to charge extra or even to mind if it's slightly overweight). Give them a nice tip - they deserve it.

Anthony

Since 07 Oct 2008
362 Posts
Salem
Obsessed

CGKA Member

PostTue Sep 30, 14 11:08 am     Reply with quote

My 155 Mystic Golf Bag has gotten through every time with Alaska. I have been to LV two times with it not being a problem. Keep it off the radar, that is under 50 lbs. Be Nice! Other airlines are questionable, I always look at the airline baggage rules. I pack my board, kites(no bars in other bag) and other light items. I have packed at one time, 3 kites and board. I only used kite compress bags only reduce weight, not compression. There was always plenty of room in the golf bag, There are other airlines that have cheap prices but the baggage fees will make up for it. If you do fly into La Paz expect all bags hand inspected.

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostTue Sep 30, 14 1:02 pm     Reply with quote

Fly alaska..... they don't charge extra for the type of equipment.
Their fees are based on over or under 50 pounds and over and under 5 feet long.
I travel with a Dakine surfboard bag that carries a surfboard up to 6 feet and 3 kites (48 pounds). Alaska charges me $50 for Mexico or Hawaii. Sometimes they charge $75 since it's over 5 feet long.
When I traveled with twintips in a golf bag (5 feet long) they charge $50 as long as you are under 50 pounds.

alankitesurf2

Since 21 Jun 2006
81 Posts

PostWed Oct 01, 14 12:39 pm     Reply with quote

Last trip to maui this summer Alaska was real picky about the H x L x W rules on my less than 6ft directional ... they are really starting to tighten up. Even with flying first class! Got by without extra money but made clear they will enforce the "rules" next time around

mmac

Since 15 May 2005
93 Posts
SC

PostWed Oct 01, 14 5:44 pm     Reply with quote

The last few times I've flown the airlines didn't care if it was a golf bag or any other bag they now charge for bags period. However, when they see the size of the wheeled golf/kite bag they will likely try to charge more ($50-$100+) and hassle you.
To avoid this, I've found the best bet is to pre-check your kite bag in online & pay the standard $25. bag fee with a cc before you arrive at the airport. When you arrive at the counter just hand it to the attendant pre-checked with no debate (they will weigh your bag and you'll just need to keep the weight at or below 50lbs to avoid an additional weight fee).

Last edited by mmac on Tue Dec 09, 14 4:37 pm; edited 5 times in total

Anthony

Since 07 Oct 2008
362 Posts
Salem
Obsessed

CGKA Member

PostWed Dec 03, 14 9:51 am     Reply with quote

Just checked through Alaska. Cost was $25 for 155cm bag at 48 lbs. They know it is a kite bag.

Gman

Since 11 Feb 2006
4907 Posts
Portland
Unstrapped

PostWed Dec 03, 14 10:58 am     Reply with quote

not all airlines are the same

- some will want to ding you $100-$150 each way for a directional (even if under 50lbs...)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eu2pBpQolKE

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostWed Dec 03, 14 2:08 pm     Reply with quote

Just traveled Delta to MX... the worst re Bag Fees... seat fees. all fees. 25 dollars 1st bag 40, second bag... all just normal luggage and light weight.

kwalshpc

Since 24 Oct 2014
142 Posts

Stoked

PostThu Dec 04, 14 8:13 am     Reply with quote

United has kite equipment on the acceptable "list". I have used the golf bag for years with no issue. Always use a sky cap if you can, and make it clear you will tip. Directionals are an issue - but if you are under 50 lbs, I have seen it ignored for the most part

Kmun

Since 05 Jul 2009
250 Posts

Obsessed

PostSat Dec 06, 14 11:34 am    Tipping a Sky Cap ??? Reply with quote

Please elaborate?
What is the diplomatic way of expressing that you "will tip".

kwalshpc wrote:
United has kite equipment on the acceptable "list". I have used the golf bag for years with no issue. Always use a sky cap if you can, and make it clear you will tip. Directionals are an issue - but if you are under 50 lbs, I have seen it ignored for the most part

Pepi

Since 16 Jun 2006
1831 Posts
Pure Stoke Sports
Shop Owner

CGKA Member

PostSat Dec 06, 14 2:26 pm    Re: Tipping a Sky Cap ??? Reply with quote

Kmun wrote:
Please elaborate?
What is the diplomatic way of expressing that you "will tip".

kwalshpc wrote:

Pulling out your wallet or holding a $20 is usually a good way.

Also be aware that PDX has just been busted for not having calibrated luggage weight scales. Apparently they have been weighing luggage as just a tad heavier than what they should be, which means a lot for people packing at a 48-50lb weight goal (makes no difference for the 30-40lb bag).

www.Purestokesports.com

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: