Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

newbie question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
hobbsla

Since 28 Jan 2006
389 Posts

Obsessed

PostWed Dec 06, 06 4:20 pm    newbie question Reply with quote

I want to snowkite with a 12m naish v4. I'm 165 lbs. The windrange on snow is 10-21 mph...I think. Question is: Will the kite even FLY in 5-10 mph winds and, if it will fly, how will it behave? Will it even take off? Will it generate enough power to get me movin? I'd like to practice in the light winds to get to know how the kite flies.

Any advice.... Smile

Jeremy

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostWed Dec 06, 06 4:58 pm     Reply with quote

I'm very doubtful that you'd be able to fly much below 8ish. But if you're kite skills are decent (ie. you can downloop the kite to keep some speed in it, etc.), I'd think you'd be able to get away with ~10 (kite's just going to be really slow and sluggish, might have to run to keep tension in the lines). Ideally you'd be fine in 15 or so, but it really depends on what you wanna do. If you're actually trying to get up on the board, that's probably okay, but for just getting a feel for the kite, it's more than enough.

sleestack

Since 07 Dec 2006
182 Posts
Land of the Lost
Stoked

PostThu Dec 07, 06 9:58 pm    Re: newbie question Reply with quote

[quote="hobbsla"]I want to snowkite with a 12m naish v4. I'm 165 lbs. The windrange on snow is 10-21 mph...I think. Question is: Will the kite even FLY in 5-10 mph winds and, if it will fly, how will it behave? Will it even take off? Will it generate enough power to get me movin? I'd like to practice in the light winds to get to know how the kite flies.

Any advice.... Smile

Jeremy[/quote]

Less friction/drag with the white stuff = smaller kite than what one would need on H20 with the same wind. . .

hobbsla

Since 28 Jan 2006
389 Posts

Obsessed

PostFri Dec 08, 06 4:34 am     Reply with quote

Thanks, Kataku.

There is a big field near my house that gets regular, steady wind but it is pretty light most of the time. There is a weather station about 1/2 mile away from it so I can check online and see whats happening there anytime. Also I can check what the wind conditions were during my sesh to get a better idea of what works for me.

Do any of you use windmeters?

Sleestack, your avatar freaks me out dude Shocked Wink

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: