Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Bend Kiters - Wickiup tomorrow 8/2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Nic

Since 21 Jul 2008
109 Posts
Bend, Oregon
Stoked

PostFri Aug 01, 14 4:40 pm    Bend Kiters - Wickiup tomorrow 8/2 Reply with quote

Looks like Wickiup will go tomorrow afternoon pending no large cell formation over the lake. Anyone want to go out for a session?

its_kite:30

Since 29 May 2009
108 Posts
White Salmon/ Beaverton
Stoked

PostFri Aug 01, 14 9:55 pm     Reply with quote

How often is the lake kiteable? I went to school in Sisters, and love/ miss the area. I now live in Beaverton I now have to feed the addiction on the weekends! maybe I can kill two birds with one stone if Wickiup is a regular option. Have fun!

Nic

Since 21 Jul 2008
109 Posts
Bend, Oregon
Stoked

PostSat Aug 02, 14 11:43 am     Reply with quote

In the summer it has pretty regular late evening wind as the sun sets. Usually 15 gusting 20.

caps

Since 23 Dec 2010
343 Posts

Obsessed

PostSun Aug 03, 14 6:06 am     Reply with quote

Those are fickle lakes up there. So how was it?

Nic

Since 21 Jul 2008
109 Posts
Bend, Oregon
Stoked

PostSun Aug 03, 14 7:01 am     Reply with quote

Steady NW 10-15mph after 5pm. Just enough to stay upwind on the skim. Its pretty good right now with the lower water, glassy in the small channels on the south side of the lake.

dude abides

Since 06 Apr 2014
52 Posts
Bend, OR

PostMon Aug 04, 14 8:35 am     Reply with quote

Nice work. I would have given it a go maybe. Just returned Sunday from 10 solid days at Floras Lake, had to drive away with the wind still blowing and no end in sight... I love living in CO, but it's hard trying to kite around here.

I've tried Wickiup a few times and have been skunked every time. Looks like Tue might be enough again, though I might head out to some other spots east for more central oregon reconnaissance. Which may equate to drinking beer on the tailgate and thinking about the coast....

Cheers! PM anytime for central oregon motivation!

Chodka

Since 04 Aug 2014
1 Posts

PostMon Aug 04, 14 6:57 pm    Bend Kiters Reply with quote

I used to be a regular in Rufus until I moved to Bend, driving 3 hrs. to get skunked when there's so much going on here is hard to do.

I'm very interested in Wickiup, I hope you'll keep posting to the forum and I'll try to meet up with you on the water. Is there a model to follow for wind there?

Nic

Since 21 Jul 2008
109 Posts
Bend, Oregon
Stoked

PostMon Aug 04, 14 7:09 pm     Reply with quote

If we get enough guys that are interested, we should make a regular carpool to Hood River or White Salmon. Wickiup is good if you have a big kite. See the forecast and sensor below.

http://www.windalert.com/spot/6042

dude abides

Since 06 Apr 2014
52 Posts
Bend, OR

PostTue Sep 09, 14 12:59 pm    Wickiup today? Reply with quote

I went yesterday and had non-stop session from 5-7pm. Thinking about going again, leaving in the next hour....

I went by the dam, plenty of beach, plenty of water and plenty of wind - success on both 9m and 14m.

i know the gorge is where it's at, but it sure is nice to tackle this lake in my own backyard...

Last edited by dude abides on Mon Oct 20, 14 9:55 am; edited 3 times in total

Justsmile

Since 20 Jul 2009
1523 Posts
Not Portland
XTreme Poster

PostTue Sep 09, 14 1:45 pm     Reply with quote

post some pics so we can see some the tasty good served up!!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: