Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

slingshot Rant SUP

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
tinyE

Since 21 Jan 2006
2004 Posts
not really an
XTreme Poster

PostWed Aug 27, 14 8:57 am    slingshot Rant SUP Reply with quote

anyone try this?
I'm in the market for a surf SUP. Price seems reasonable.
How do i choose the size? (I'm 5'6").
i don't live in HR, and i want to surf it anyway, so testing out in the river isn't really ideal. I'd love to hear from someone who has ridden one.
thanks!

dyyylan

Since 14 May 2014
26 Posts
Hood River

PostWed Aug 27, 14 11:25 am     Reply with quote

Volume and rocker are important to consider too

I'm 5'9 140 lbs and loved my 7'8x29x4.5 100L board. if you only want to surf with it, I wouldn't get anything bigger than 8'0 unless you're looking more for longboard style cruising

length also determines how soon you have to start paddling. with my 7'8 I could hang pretty much in the shortboard lineup, take 2 strokes and drop in. with a longer board you need to hang back a bit farther so you can get your speed up before dropping in (otherwise you'll pearl and die)

if you're looking for something that you can paddle occasionally on the river i would look at something longer (like, 8'6 to 9') with a little more rocker and a narrow tail, they can still be super fun on long clean sets and paddle okay on flat water

brian

Since 04 Sep 2008
28 Posts

PostThu Aug 28, 14 6:03 am     Reply with quote

Its a great board, but as stated, a lot of volume for your size. If its your first time surfing an SUP, the the smallest rant would make for a great starter. Friend has 2 of them, the smallest 8'4" and the 9'. He's 240lbs though. the construction is great, and best deal out there right now. i believe they are changing designs for 2015.
The 32" width will be good if first board, but you will outgrow it and want less liters. the wider tail makes a perfect "crappy" wave baord, and makes it easy to catch a wave. I was shocked how quick it goes from rail to rail. I ride the small Naish Mana and it is a quicker board, but for the price of the Rant, you cant go wrong. Just expect to downsize after your skill improve.
We ride WA coast, hit us up if like to try.

Toddsup

Since 28 Aug 2014
2 Posts

PostThu Aug 28, 14 7:07 am    slingshot Rant sup Reply with quote

I have 2, a 9' and a 8'4. I would recommend the 8'4 for you. I paddle my 8'4 a few times a week in the Puget sound as both conditioning and as preparation for surfing in the ocean. It is not very fast and hard to keep straight on flat water but comes to life on a wave. the deck pad is a little slick it will need to be roughened up before going into ocean. the deck is a little domed which helps give it its volume. but makes it a little tippy but the width makes up for that. It is nice to have a little extra volume when you are on the outside with the porpoise, sea lions and whales. That in itself is an amazing experience. I have had a starboard Sup and the Rant board is built better in my opinion. Kite line will drop ship it to you for $930. If you are an athlete I would not go bigger for waves. If you are not an experienced wave supper I would not go smaller either It will be tough at first Um it will always be tough but the moments of (I don't have the words to define) will become more common. If you surf the NW coast you will find yourself with the first challenge of learning how to get passed the break. It is such an incredible workout that it sometimes takes me two days to recover.

brian

Since 04 Sep 2008
28 Posts

PostThu Aug 28, 14 7:22 am     Reply with quote

And this shows anythgin will work:
http://www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Stand-Up-Paddle/SUP/Crazy-surfing-on-Naish-race-board/

just some things make life easier. that guy is good.

tinyE

Since 21 Jan 2006
2004 Posts
not really an
XTreme Poster

PostThu Aug 28, 14 9:05 am     Reply with quote

thanks guys.
i have surfed sups before, but mine is a 10'6" jimmy lewis.
I was looking for something a little more responsive.
the RANT looks a little fatter, so that's why I was wondering.

I dug on slingshot's page a little and saw the 3 sizes. By weight, I'm right on the edge of the smallest, so was thinking the medium sized one would be the right size.

How does it respond in knee high to head high waves?
thanks again.

Toddsup

Since 28 Aug 2014
2 Posts

PostThu Aug 28, 14 10:35 am     Reply with quote

If you go with the Rant. Ignore the weight ratings. I purchased the 9'0" based on those and ended up buying the 8'4" 6 months later. It catches small reforms on the inside and holds a tight bottom turn on way overhead. I am yet to find a knee high wave that isn't shore pound on our coastline But when it is rideable this board can make that bottom turn. It has hard tucked rails almost all the way to the nose. I have run after market fins but am stoked with the carving I get with the stock fins. I have surfed a 10ft naish mana and a 10 5 starboard wide point and the 8' 4" rant is way more responsive and faster on the wave. Dropping in is also easier on shorter boards. A little weight shift keeps the nose up and you don't have to walk to the tail. cause you are already there. I am sure if you get a more narrow board you will get a snappier ride. But as you know the ocean isn't always glassed.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: